Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Outgoing

Limits in Your Province/Territory. please

Since joining this site, I'm amazed at just how much the regulations change across the Provinces/Territories.

Just wondering what the limits are in your area. I'll start with mine...

NOVA SCOTIA
    The carer's own children/step-children are included in the count, until they have had their 12th birthday, even if the household children only live there part-time.

Registered (agency approved/able to take subsidiary clients)

If even one child is too young for school, then no more than 6 children, including household children.

No more than 8 children if they are ALL school age, including household children.

No more than 2 of the 6 children may be younger than 24 months.
    No more than 3 of the 6 children may be younger than 36 months.

Unregistered (private, non-agency approved)

If even one child is too young for school, then no more than 6 children, including household children.

No more than 8 children if they are ALL school age, including household children.

No additional restrictions on the ages of the children taken.
    Last edited by Rachael; 10-06-2014 at 09:14 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachael For This Useful Post:

Van

Outgoing
    Well, I now know provinces, as we're looking at possibly moving to New Brunswick.

ONTARO

You CANNOT be independently licensed or registered in Ontario, you are either Private (which most people inaccurately call unlicensed) or you are contracted through a licensed Agency. As far as I know, most agencies count your own children in your total number, and restrict the amount of infants you can have.

Private caregivers do NOT have to count their own children in their total number of allowed daycare children, which is 5. You can have 5 children not including your own under care at one time, up to the age of 10, after which they don't count. There are no other restrictions on the ages you can have.

The new Bill would make children count until the age of 13, require providers to count their own children until age 6 in their total number, and restrict providers to only 2 children under age 2, including any of the provider's own children. Hence why we are fighting the Bill. But I won't hijack this thread...

NEW BRUNSWICK

Here you can be private/unlicensed or independently licensed through the provincial government.

Providers can have ONE of the following:

a) 3 infants
    b) 4 preschoolers (ages 2-5)
    c) 8 school-agers, but ALL must be over age 5
    d) 5 children of mixed ages, with only 1 infant

If licensed, those numbers increase somewhat:

a) 3 infants
    b) 5 preschoolers
    c) 9 schoolagers
    d) 6 of mixed ages, with only 2 infants and one having to be over age 5

Providers' own children count until age 12. Independent licensing looks pretty strict, but there are "wage enhancements" paid by the govt, because of a shortage of spots, particularly infant spots. It's super-complicated, which I assume is why I haven't found anyone on here from NB!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyEight For This Useful Post:

Van

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEight View Post
    Private caregivers do NOT have to count their own children in their total number of allowed daycare children, which is 5. You can have 5 children not including your own under care at one time, up to the age of 10, after which they don't count. There are no other restrictions on the ages you can have.
    Just to clarify..If a carer's own children do not count and children over the age of 10 do not count, then theoretically, an Ontario carer can have unlimited children as long as they are her own and client children over age 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Rachael View Post
    Just to clarify..If a carer's own children do not count and children over the age of 10 do not count, then theoretically, an Ontario carer can have unlimited children as long as they are her own and client children over age 10?
    Yes that's exactly right

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I suppose so. I personally don't have any that old, but I know providers that have a younger sibling in care, and take the older one B/A school. There's not a lot of demand for care for children over age 10 though, I don't think you could make a living on it.

But yes, technically, the DNA states "a provider can have up to 5 children under age 10 in care at one time, not including the provider's own children."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyEight For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Manitoba:

Unlicensed can have a max of 4 kids under the age of 12, including own children

Licensed can have a max of 8 kids under the age of 12, including own children. Of these 8, only 5 can be under 6 years old and only 3 of those can be under 2 years old. But I can get exemptions if a 5 year old is attending full day kindergarten, making them considered school age and allowing them to be part of my school age numbers.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Golly, that's interesting.

Outgoing
    Found the information for PEI

PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND

Family/In-home Child care limits

Regulated Child care
    The maximum capacity for a regulated family child care home is seven children including the provider’s own children under school-age. Of those seven children there can be a maximum of three children under two years.

Unregulated child care
    A family child care home is not required to be regulated if it has five or fewer children of any age, including the preschool-age children of the person providing the care. If all children are under 2 years, three are allowed, or five preschoolers with no more than two of them younger than 2 years. Six are allowed in a mixed-age group up to 10 years with no more than two younger than 2 years.

Source of information : http://findingqualitychildcare.ca/in...-edward-island

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachael For This Useful Post:

Van

Outgoing
    NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR

Regulated Child Care
    The provider may care for a maximum of six children (in special circumstances up to eight). Of that six, a maximum of three children may be less than 36 months of age. Of that three, a maximum of two children may be less than 24 months. There is provision in the legislation for providers to care for three children less than 24 months of age, but in those cases, the maximum number of children permitted is three. The provider’s own children who are in full-time attendance at school are not included in the maximum number. The actual number of children that the home is licensed or approved to care for will depend on factors such as the space available in the home.

Unregulated Child Care
    no more than four children age 0-12 years, or to three children less than 24 months

Source of information : http://www.gov.nl.ca/cyfs/childcare/...childcare.html

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachael For This Useful Post:

Van

Euphoric !
    Also in MB and to add to Amanda's post....private can have 4 max but no more than 2 under 2 years of age.

I have spoke with head office and asked if my husband were to stay home and parent our own child ( I have no children of my own currently) if I would still be allowed to have my full 4 and the answer was no. I think it's ridiculous but not much I can do! I do encourage parents in mb to email and ask for a change to our laws though as the lady I spoke too said that's all we can do at this point.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast