Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Boy: Pee advice?

I have a little 3 year old who has been doing great for 2 weeks; no accidents at all (of course, diaper at naptime). However, he uses the toilet every 15 min. Ideas on how to get him to stay put and push all the pee out, or just let him go at his own pace and he'll get there?
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    Could it just be that it's a new thing and he's fascinated with the toilet and/or flushing? Once he's fully trained and the excitement wears off maybe the constant going will end?

When I'm first training them I go in with them and tell them to push it all out ( in hopes that a poop will occur too lol), maybe try that? They love making their push faces and grunting lol.

Off topic but I just bought it and I love it!! It's a free standing urinal for the boys....no more pee all over the seat, behind the toilet or on the floor plus it frees up the toilet for another child if need be.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I would just let him be for now. He's willingly and successfully peeing in the toilet. Once the novelty wears off, or once he develops enough control to hold it longer, it will stop being so frequent.

Starting to feel at home...
    My older son was doing this for a while when he was about 3 too. I think it was just the novelty of it all. He would go more often when we were out in public, I remember once we were at a playgroup for an hour, and he went pee 3 times! Whenever he would see a public bathroom, he automatically had to go!
    He eventually began to hold it for longer, now I think he can go 2 or 3 hours between pees.

Thank you! I think I will just let it go for a bit, as per your advice
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Expansive...
    5lm those little urinals are soo cute !!! My dcms want all their boys to sit ! So no needs for one but they are soo cute !!
    I have just started potty training with 2 yr old boy and he pushes out a couple of drops , nothing too substantial yet but he was so proud !!!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Secondtimearound View Post
    5lm those little urinals are soo cute !!! My dcms want all their boys to sit ! So no needs for one but they are soo cute !!
    I have just started potty training with 2 yr old boy and he pushes out a couple of drops , nothing too substantial yet but he was so proud !!!
    I wish my dcm's wanted that...every boy I have had has been trained to pee standing up LOL. It drives me crazy as it goes everywhere haha. I had considered those urinals that attach to the toilet but I'm glad I held out. This free standing one is awesome!!

Expansive...
    Well it's pretty much the same !! Lol I stand to the side !!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Secondtimearound For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Hey at least he is going to the toilet, most boys get so involved in playing they pee their pants , i know its a pain in the butt to take him every 15 min but its also a pain to clean up a mess.
    On another note is he actually peeing when he goes, perhaps he has a UTI? i am sure boys can get them too. (i think)

Euphoric !
    I had one that was doing this and it was a fine line between whether he was really ready or not in the sense that he couldn't hold it more than 15 minutes - ie unable to stay dry for an hour which is one of the signs of readiness. He was so afraid to have an accident that he basically lived in the bathroom. He was in underwear. When we switched him back to pullups he relaxed and had the occasional oops but he actually started going longer between trips because he knew it wasn't as big a deal if he did have an oops. Within a month he was going the hour and we moved him back to underwear.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post: