Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Expansive...

Great napper- not so much anymore!

And it's turning my precious quiet time into an annoying time. The dcg is only 15 months old and has been sleeping for 1 1/2- 2 1/2 hrs consistently since she started in June. Now, a few months later and she is down to not even an hour...and today was only 30 min. I would have no problem with letting her quietly rest in her bed for the duration of sleep time however...being only 15 months...she gets up loudly (happily, but loudly...she's not crying), and while she's happy to stay in her bed...she still does so loudly. I brought her out once to see if I could carry on with my own quiet time with her playing quietly around me with no such luck. She's too loud, and whether she is out of the bed or in it she has been waking up the rest of my great sleepers and making for a grumpy afternoon (myself included, not getting any kind of decent break).
    To solve that issue, tonight I am going to move her bed down to the basement so she will not disturb the others, and if she feels inclined to chat to herself when she wakes she is welcome to. My question is, is there any way to encourage a young toddler to sleep longer? 30 min is definitely not enough sleep in a long day for a 15 month old in my books. Anyone have success with this? Thanks!

Expansive...
    Yes , by doing exactly what your thinking of doing ! Other than I went in and kept laying mine down ( she screamed !) but with the white noise and fans I persevered . It took awhile but eventually we were back to 2 hr naps . I recently bought black out curtains so waking up and playing isn't as much fun . I do however usually get them up anytime after 1 1/2 hr nap .

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Secondtimearound For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Great idea about the black out curtains for where her bed is going to be now. It is dark in there, but not pitch black. I'm on it!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lou For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    My daughter just went through this phase. We just periodically reminded her it was nap or quiet time. After a few weeks she settled back in to sleeping again.

be careful about putting a child in the basement to sleep. I was told in Ottawa that all children my step on the same floor in case of fire.