Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Kind of a rant. How and Why

I posted on my facebook page for my daycare that I have an opening. Oh sure they all "like" the comment but NO ONE HAS shared it. It seems they aren't willing to help me out and spread the word. They never have. It really makes me feel that they are being selfish and want the low number just so their child might get more attention. I've kept openings before for Moms who go on mat leave. The first child comes 3 days a week for a year until the second child is a year old then they both come full time. Never again. I'm not doing these things for parents anymore. I refuse to lose out just for them. I know I've posted similar to this before but I'm so pissed I just need to rant. Now on to my husband lol. He's a great sounding board. Oh and if anyone has any advice feel free.....

Euphoric !
    I just recently started a dc fb page and I find it really odd! It says I have 22 likes but I can only see 19 or something like that. One mom likes my posts and I see her name then but yet I don't see her name as one of the page likes so I assume she's one of the 3 I can't see. Superfun (from here) is also one of my page likes I can't see and she's shared my status but I don't see that either. So maybe that is happening to you too?

I also specifically said "please share this status" in case some felt that they couldn't/shouldn't. I get calls and emails from people that my current and past parents have sent my way so hopefully some of your parents are verbally passing the message on!

I get that parents want more one on one time but I would also think that parents want their child to socialize with children in larger settings to help prepare for school. Plus, if we don't make a decent income we run the risk of having to close down so hopefully most parents realize that!

Good luck!

I don't trust Facebook with my dayhome info, they constantly change there privacy policy's / set up and suddenly all info isn't private.....
    I do advertise on Kijiji. It is free. It is all I have used since 2006 and has been great.

And yes, your financial stability is first.

Good luck

I agree. I have one family that i was friends with prior to daycare, but other then that i would be very uncomfortable with my daycare info on face book

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Samantha33 View Post
    I posted on my facebook page for my daycare that I have an opening. Oh sure they all "like" the comment but NO ONE HAS shared it. It seems they aren't willing to help me out and spread the word. They never have. It really makes me feel that they are being selfish and want the low number just so their child might get more attention. I've kept openings before for Moms who go on mat leave. The first child comes 3 days a week for a year until the second child is a year old then they both come full time. Never again. I'm not doing these things for parents anymore. I refuse to lose out just for them. I know I've posted similar to this before but I'm so pissed I just need to rant. Now on to my husband lol. He's a great sounding board. Oh and if anyone has any advice feel free.....
    Okay - a few thoughts in no particular order..

Your clients are not your friends. They are under no obligation to help you fill your places. Now I know that sounds really, really, harsh but once you can accept that as reality, you'll stop feeling disappointed.

So what can you do? You can ask them to share the place, again, with no expectation from them. Simply add, to your FB post, that you'd appreciate them sharing it with their FB contacts in the hope it gets filled sooner. And then, let it go.

Now I personally think you are feeling a bit aggrieved because you feel you did them a favour in holding places for them, at a direct financial cost to you, and now you want/need their support, it's not coming in the manner you want.

Perhaps this is my life experience coming out, but if you don't keep score, you won't ever feel owed. You'll do favours purely because you want to and not because you expect them back at some time in the future.

I think you need to separate your business relationships more from your personal ones. I know it's tricky when you are caring for and loving someone else's child but at the end of the day, these are clients not friends. Be under no illusion, although they are friendly, they are not your friends and therefore, the minute they don't need you, they will hand you notice and terminate because trust me, they are not seeing this as friendship, they don't feel they owe you anything because they are paying you for your service. You too need to see the business line.

If it's not sound business for you to hold a place for anyone, client or not, don't do it.
    If you have an expectation of someone (sharing your vacancy) then state it clearly. No one is a mind reader.
    If you are doing favours, don't keep a count with the expectation if them being repaid.

Life is way simpler when you have boundaries and enforce/respect them.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rachael For This Useful Post:

Very well said and very true. Great advice!!

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachael View Post
    Okay - a few thoughts in no particular order..

Your clients are not your friends. They are under no obligation to help you fill your places. Now I know that sounds really, really, harsh but once you can accept that as reality, you'll stop feeling disappointed.

So what can you do? You can ask them to share the place, again, with no expectation from them. Simply add, to your FB post, that you'd appreciate them sharing it with their FB contacts in the hope it gets filled sooner. And then, let it go.

Now I personally think you are feeling a bit aggrieved because you feel you did them a favour in holding places for them, at a direct financial cost to you, and now you want/need their support, it's not coming in the manner you want.

Perhaps this is my life experience coming out, but if you don't keep score, you won't ever feel owed. You'll do favours purely because you want to and not because you expect them back at some time in the future.

I think you need to separate your business relationships more from your personal ones. I know it's tricky when you are caring for and loving someone else's child but at the end of the day, these are clients not friends. Be under no illusion, although they are friendly, they are not your friends and therefore, the minute they don't need you, they will hand you notice and terminate because trust me, they are not seeing this as friendship, they don't feel they owe you anything because they are paying you for your service. You too need to see the business line.

If it's not sound business for you to hold a place for anyone, client or not, don't do it.
    If you have an expectation of someone (sharing your vacancy) then state it clearly. No one is a mind reader.
    If you are doing favours, don't keep a count with the expectation if them being repaid.

Life is way simpler when you have boundaries and enforce/respect them.

Thank you Rachael, all of this is very true. Although I'm not friends with these people outside of work I have kept spaces for them, I guess in hopes that may someday spread the word. Oh they all praise me and give me great recommendations when someone else calls them for a reference, so you are right, don't do them ANY favors and have no expectations in return. This will be my motto from now on. I think I just needed to be reminded that they will do whatever is best for them, when it is best for them.