Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Thank you note with gift of money

Today, one of the parents of a child i watch came by (I watch her son during school holidays like summer vacation, march break and Christmas break). She gave me a thank you note for being understanding and flexible after the father lost his job. I allowed them to drop down to a few days a week and only pay for the days they came, as opposed to the full time care they originally signed on for but I didn't change the contract. I am human and i have been laid off too, twice in 2008 actually, so i sympathize with the stresses of losing a job. I had no problem helping them out because they are genuinely nice people and they always send their son to me to care for.

Tucked inside the card was money- the equivalent of almost 2 weeks of full time fees. She had mentioned to me before "i promise i will try to pay you back one day" but i never expected the money, i know she would send her son again to me for care so in MY mind, that is kind of like paying me back. Should i regard this money as a gift or should i give her a receipt for it? In the note she wrote that the money was 'to pay me back for some of the days he missed'. I am appreciative that she was thoughtful

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyPrincess For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I would give a receipt based on her note.

Outgoing
    First of all, that is really awesome of her. Wow. Second, if it was me, I think I would ask her if she wanted a receipt. Then you don't have to worry about offending her by giving her a receipt if she only wanted to give you a gift. If it was truly coming as a gift, she might be offended that you are trying to make it into something else. The best way to find out is asking her.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to superfun For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Great client! Worthy of your assistance during the tough time! I agree with Superfun. but when you ask, remind that it is a tax break...so even if it was a gift, she can score a few less tax dollars without guilt as it was childcare related.

Outgoing
    Great client. I too would give a receipt. Since the original favour on your part was some leeway regarding contracted day care fees, and since she said she'd repay you some day, then I would view it as day care fees you didn't expect to see and issue a tax receipt for it.

Outgoing
    Thanks friends. I was thinking the same thing. I was leaning towards issuing the receipt as well.

Expansive...
    Awww that was so sweet !!!

Expansive...
    Some people are worth accommodating!

Starting to feel at home...
    That's amazing! I would issue a receipt too.

Expansive...
    Wow!!! What nice people to have as clients-I would give them a tax receipt with a smile
    Everyone wins - and you are very nice too to remember what it was like to be down and out of a job
    good for you MonkeyPrincess