Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Euphoric !

Confidentiality policy

So another thread got me to wondering....( the buyers remorse one)

Do you have a confidentiality policy? If so, what does it all include?

On the other thread, I as well as others, suggested to call a current provider and ask questions about a possible new family. However now it made me wonder if that is breach of confidentiality though? Is it okay if the family gives permission to both providers to discuss them?

I'm just thinking if a provider called me I would be hesitant to say anything negative about the family, especially if they were in my care still. As the possible new provider I definitely would want to call though.

I actually don't have a confidentially policy as I just use common sense when discussing a client but I think I might write up a policy.....

Outgoing
    Although it might be nice to have one, I'm not convinced it will actually be worthwhile (for me, anyway).

The only way another provider would call me about a child, is if they were told I was the current provider. And, although there are times in the past when I've taken a child who was leaving another carer, the information I've been given is that their current carer was closing or going on maternity leave. I have no way of validating that without knowing who their carer was.

To me, it seems that the parents hold the control as to two carers speaking to one another as the parents are the only ones who know the identities of both. If they are being less than honest, then they likely wouldn't be willing to link the carers and so a policy isn't going to help.

I think all it will do is keep the honest folk honest and the less than honest won't participate/share the information needed. Since you can't have a policy for every situation, it seems nice in theory but pretty useless in practice.

Expansive...
    My policy:

No information, verbal or written, regarding a child or their family will be released to anyone other than required by law or if special permission has been given by the family. In the event of a medical emergency, medical information will be given to medical staff.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I am leaning towards agreeing with you Rachael. It does seem great in theory but I don't know how practical it is.

I discuss the children with my family, few close friends as well as two other daycare providers...not to mention on here! I never use last names though. A few family members and friends even know a couple children who come here as it's a small city and some have even referred them to me. Even the parents discuss the other parents....why is so and so here today or not here? Why is so and so leaving? etc etc. Two of the parents work with each other so they are talking about each other (nothing negative, just chatting)

It's such a grey area!! I have no issue with parents (past and current) discussing me with their friends and family as long as it's truthful! I have had one family that I am sure bad mouths me but there is nothing that I can do about that and even if I had a policy, I can't control (or even know) what she says about me. The problem with that family is that she has such a different perspective of what happened and why they were terminated so in her eyes she isn't being dishonest if she does tell others what happened because she truly believes that her side of the story is true.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Like all businesses, you can't stop word of mouth if it is an opinion of a previous consumer. 5LM, don't worry about the chatty family, it is doubtful it will have no real impact on your business. Most people smile and nod (and ignore) because they have no investment in the story. People are naturally self-focused.

Amanda's policy is well written. I would feel comfort reading that in a contract as it reads to protect the family and ensures that there is no expectation of a reference to a future caregiver.

As for the curiosity of what you are getting, from all I have read what happens at one caregiver is not necessarily what is going to happen at the next one. So a reference either way is a bit misleading since you may be the shining star for one kid that was the dreaded one for another.

Expansive...
    I do not phone other dayhome providers or any references . I think if they are leaving a dayhome there could be issues going on that I do not need to be involved in . My opinion and my contract is the only resource I use.In my interviewing I do not engage conversation concerning the other providers , if a parent is bad mouthing a former caretaker then I know she will eventually bad mouth me . Usually that personality type will blame everyone else for their problems except themselves ! And really why do I need to know ?
    As far as my discussing my dcks , I have certain people who I chat/vent with that do not know any thing more than the name I'm discussing . My dcps have just started mingling at bdays and although I'm curious there's nothing really I can do ! I do my best and I'm pretty forward that I'm not everyone's cup of tea .
    Ironically ,a family that I termed immediately , spotted me shopping and came over and expressed how much they missed my dayhome and that we were still talked about by the child and wanted to say thank you for looking after him ! I was surprised but happy as I had only termed for non payment .

Euphoric !
    Yes I think that is why I think it's a grey area. On one hand, absolutely people are going to talk about me because it is a word of mouth business but because we have more personal relationships (as in we know a bit about each others lives) it does make me wonder about confidentiality. For example, I don't care if a parent were to discuss my business but what if they were to tell someone that I was pregnant, divorcing, etc. I'm so open though with my life that I haven't really thought about it on my end though lol...I'm thinking more so for them. I'm sure they wouldn't want me to tell others if they lost their job or divorced or etc etc etc.

I have told the name of the past client I have termed to the 2 other providers in my city I talk with so that they could avoid the drama and hassle I had to go through. Is that breaking confidentiality though? (I don't have a confidentiality policy so no but what if I did?)

Expansive...
    I kind of keep personal business away from my business if that makes sense . Even though I really like most of my dcms and could see myself being friends I try to draw a line and not cross it . We discuss a lot of things but not anything I wouldn't want everyone to know . It's hard sometimes to keep the balance but this is my career choice , for now and I want it to be professional .
    Your question about telling the other providers , my answer would be , if you had a signed confidentiality clause you would be breaking it by "warning" them , however if the clients had given your name as a reference then I think you would be able to say whatever you wanted to . I think it much easier not to have one , then you can do as you see fit to .

Euphoric !
    Makes total sense! I also keep my private life separate but some who've been with me for 2 years know things about me just from having a lengthy business relationship.

I agree with you. I think it's probably better not to have one.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Yes my experience with dayhome moms is a year at the most . Maybe they know more than I know lol !!!