Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Eve

Starting to feel at home...

Christmas Eve

This year Christmas Eve is on a Friday. For those of you open that week, do you close all day for Christmas Eve? Close early that day? or work till close?

Just curious, thanks!

Shy
    Hi! I think Christmas eve is on Saturday, with Christmas day Sunday. If I'm mistaken, then I will for sure have the Friday off!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Katskids For This Useful Post:

Thanks Katskids...you are right.

Just to answer your question, as if it were on a weekday. I would be closed. For me, it's a religious holiday, and time to spend with family. On Christmas Eve, we celebrate the birth of Christ at church, then dinner with family and close friends.

Euphoric !
    Last year, I planned on staying open, as I would have only had one family coming and they were doing a half day. It turned out that they decided not to come after all, so I ended up with it off.
    I will in the future be taking it off it it falls on a weekday. I am usually the Christmas hostess, and I can certainly use that day without all the extra kiddos to finish everything last minute!!

As the holiday lands on a weekend I close either the Friday or Monday. As I am also closed on the 26th, this year I will close the Friday instead of the actual holiday.

Expansive...
    Christmas is on a Friday & Boxing day is on the Mon then Friday and Monday are both stats! YEAH
    Last edited by Skysue; 10-11-2011 at 04:35 PM.

Euphoric !
    Normally if Christmas Eve falls on a weekday I am open as usual but most pick up early. I do have it in my contract that I reserve the right to close early to facilitate family plans. We are involved with church services that night - our church as 4 to accommodate demand 5, 7, 9, and 11. Sometimes the youth were involved with tableau or singing for the 5 and then I closed at noon so they could rest up before the evening. Now we are just involved with the other three - teens for 7 and adult choir for 9 and 11 but it makes for a long night because once we arrive at 6 we are stuck there till midnight but we do things between services, share food, etc. so it is fun for the participants too.

Christmas is on the Sunday, boxing day is Monday and new years day is the Sunday.

Do we get stat pay for the 2 Sundays?

I was gonna take the week off between Christmas and New years bc most of my dcps will be off.
    Cheeky Monkey Daycare

Euphoric !
    It all depends on what you have put into your contract to cover situations like this. Some specificallky put that they will take the Friday or Monday if the holiday falls on the weekend. Others just accept that it is the weekend so doesn't matter. Most parents will get the Friday or Monday off for weekend days and in that case you can insist on getting the same days too. As far as pay goes again that will depend on what you put into your contract. If they are weekend days then some people won't get paid the stat or get a day off work. Others will get paid or a day or both according to their contract. If you are with an agency, they will stipulate what you get in lieu of the day being on the weekend.