Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Snack portions

Starting to feel at home...

Snack portions

What can I add to their fruit portion in the afternoon to make it more substantial. I'm looking at the cost of fruit and it gets expensive when I give another portion if they want more. I want to add something simple to the fruit, on the side, any ideas?

Outgoing
    I always provide a grain with pm snack. Morning is fruit with dairy

Expansive...
    I add cheese/crackers/yogurt/granola bar/social tea cookie/applesauce/rice cake/nutrigrain bar/

Outgoing
    Try adding cereal like Cheerios or crackers.
    In the cooler months I often do toast with peanut butter (subject to allergies) and sliced bananas on top.
    Use yoghurt and make small parfaits with layered cereal, yoghurt and fruit (doesn't need to be huge).
    Veggies and dip is normally cheaper than fruit if you keep to the seasonal veg. You can cut carrots, celery, cucumber, salad peppers into sticks and that's a colourful selection for lower prices.
    I sometimes make banana mini muffins or flax squares.

I avoid at all costs the granola bars, Nutragrain bars, pre-packed snacks - that gets expensive fast.

Tip - a couple of times a week, at naptime or when the children are playing quietly, I chop veggies to last a couple of days and then store in the fridge, pre-cut in lidded containers.

Same for grapes, melon, etc.

It means the boxes can be stacked which takes up less space but also everything is ready to go. I also find, being able to see clearly what's in there means less waste from veggies being lost at the back of the fridge until past their best.
    Last edited by Rachael; 10-27-2014 at 01:48 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachael For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I offer fruit almost 3x a day but because it's offered with a grain or a dairy they don't need a huge portion. I also find that some give big portions thinking the child needs it. I follow this as a guideline http://www.babycenter.com/0_age-by-a...ler_1736045.bc and adjust it if need be for each child. Obesity is a huge concern in children and I have found some children will just eat and eat if you don't stop them so it's important to find that balance of them being full but not over eating.

I cut up my fruit and veggies at the beginning of the week as well. It is so much easier than trying to do it when you have hungry kids at your feet lol.

For expense, I always have bananas and apples on hand as they are typically the cheapest fruit. Than I have cantaloupe or honeydew because one or two will last the whole week. Other fruit I buy are whatever is on sale that week. It helps the budget and also helps keep it different so they don't get bored.

Veggies for afternoon snack are also an option as they are sometimes cheaper than fruit. Mine aren't huge on uncooked veggies yet but they will eat snap peas, carrot sticks and pepper slices raw.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

5 Little Monkeys, what is a portion size of fruit if you give it with something else?

Euphoric !
    I give about 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup depending on what it is. If it's something like grapes or raspberries it's about 1/4 cup and if it's honeydew, apples, cantaloupe etc it's about 1/2 cup. Add this with a few crackers or yogurt and it's usually enough to tide them over until lunch or supper at home.

Typically, my snacks are only about a cup of food in total for the under 2's and 1 1/2 cups for the over 2's. In the summer it tends to be more as we are outside more often and they are burning off more energy. I also find that some kids don't drink enough so before they are given seconds, they have to drink at least half their cup of liquids. If they are still wanting more they are given a bit extra of food. I don't normally have cranky kids which I find happens when they are hungry....or maybe it's just me that gets cranky when I'm starving!! LOL
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 10-27-2014 at 05:22 PM.

I suggest large cans of fruit from Costco. They can come packed in water with no sugar added. Not as great as fresh fruit, but easy to eat and can be used sporadically to keep the bills down.

Euphoric !
    Sillygirl, I always feel guilty when I use canned fruit but sometimes in the winter I use them when the fruit isn't the best tasting or the cheapest! The kids love it actually lol

This is great info. Thank you for the suggestions ladies.