Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Help with uncooperative drop in parent!

I need some advice on a drop-in/back up care client. Thanks in advance!

So I had a parent contact me on Wednesday for care this coming week only as back up for her new regular provider. I agreed to it and we met Thursday, everything seemed ok, not great, but I figured for a week it was no big deal. So Friday afternoon I got a call for a job interview on Monday - Late notice, I know and I felt horrible, but I told the parents, including back up parent, Friday evening that I'd be closing at 2 on Monday.

Then I get a reply from back-up parent, basically stating that she cannot leave work early on her first day back (after some time off). I understood her frustration, gave her the website for a provider down the road, and offered to email another. No response. I heard back from the other provider today, so I sent her a message telling her to let me know if she wants to contact her, I'd give her the providers number. Still no response. That was 2 hours ago.

I don't even want to take her child on now tbh. I'm really suspicious of her getting off in time to pick her son up. This will either make me late for my interview or I'd have to leave my husband in the position to look after him until she gets here. And I don't reLly want to put him in that position with a parent who is already peeved.

I'm thinking of writing her back (and I'd like to have a record of what's been said) telling her "hi ___. I understand your frustration regarding early closure on Monday, however there are still things we need to discuss prior to drop off tomorrow. If you are unable to pick up by 2pm, or unwilling to discuss this matter further, I am not comfortable providing care for ____ this week."

Thoughts?

Outgoing
    Seems fair to me. I would feel the same way as you.

Outgoing
    Thoughts - couldn't you have just rescheduled the interview or said such short notice wasn't an option under the circumstances? I am sure if you had explained, they would have offered another date where you didn't have to leave all your clients scrambling for back up care.

Since you've accepted the interview date, I think esp for an unknown client, that you would have said you weren't available for the entire day. Yes - it's very valid that she might not be able to get off work early since she's already stated she can't.

Not sure how your drop-ins/casual care works but if you do issue a contract for them and have stated in it you will be available to care for her child this one week, then if you aren't available, you are in breach of contract.

Euphoric !
    I agree. I would be worried she wouldn't pick up the child on time. Thing is if she doesn't then I would terminate care immediately. Is it possible if she doesn't show by 2 that you could drive the child to her work, hand him over and say that you can no longer provide care?

Outgoing
    Thanks ladies. She got back to me last night (with a new cell number that she hadn't given me - my messages were going nowhere) to say he's not coming for any part of the day today. Unfortunately she works fairly far from us, and it would have been a serious crunch to get him there on time had she not picked him up.

To be honest, I really want to go to this interview, and no, nothing had been signed. The parent didn't even know how much they were going to pay me (she has subsidy which no one told me about prior to us meeting Thursday), and had brought the wrong agency forms with her on Thursday (the correct ones werent even anything contractual). I'm sure I'm being a bit selfish here, but I'm offering to take her child for the rest of the week over and above my regular hours, not getting half of my pay until next month. I don't have to do it, and I'm not dying for the extra cash. I really only volunteered as a favor. What would she have done had I not? This is the exact reason why I'm interviewing. I'm tired of feeling like I need to constantly be at the parents beck and call.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 2cuteboys For This Useful Post:

Lou

Expansive...
    2cuteboys- I would have done the exact same thing! And you have no reason to feel guilty over needed a personal day for an appointment. At ALL. Good luck at the interview! Fingers crossed!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lou For This Useful Post:

I think its very immportant problem and need to fix it!