Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rally - bill 10

Outgoing
    We did have the Oakville Beaver and Cogeco TV at the Oakville rally. The article was posted on Friday I believe. Donations are through www.gofundme.com , look for CICPO Guelph Rally to Amend Bill 10.

Also this week in the legislature, the Day of Action was mentioned by several MPPs and Garfield told Sandals that another rally was being planned in her home riding.

There is also a massive letter writing campaign going on, over 150 letters have been couriered to Garfield Dunlop and he will be presenting them in the legislature. If you havent already, send letters letting the government know how the bill will affect you and have your parents do the same. At the top of your letter please put in bold capital letters the number of children you have in care and how many will have to be let go as a result of Bill 10. Send them to daycarebill10@yahoo. com
    Last edited by jodaycare; 11-02-2014 at 09:25 AM.

Outgoing
    I totally agree with you bright sparks, I tried to organize a rally in Toronto on a weekday and no one was up for it. Many have not even informed their dc families about the bill because they are afraid they will look for care elsewhere. How are families suppose to be informed if we are not educating them. IMO we just look like providers worried about losing out income rather then the parents worried about losing their spots. For those parents that do know about the bill many don't seem yo really care. I think they need to be inconvienced by all providers taking a day off to protest this will get their attention. I understand how many providers can't afford to take a day off but in the end they need to understand that one missed day of income may ensure 10 years of income by standing up to this bill. I got so frustrated that now I decided to opt out on organizing anything. Also I'm not willing to spend to once again spend my weekend at a rally where many don't want to come out and participate and inform their dc families or for families who don't care

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Teagansmom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Teagansmom View Post
    I totally agree with you bright sparks, I tried to organize a rally in Toronto on a weekday and no one was up for it. Many have not even informed their dc families about the bill because they are afraid they will look for care elsewhere. How are families suppose to be informed if we are not educating them. IMO we just look like providers worried about losing out income rather then the parents worried about losing their spots. For those parents that do know about the bill many don't seem yo really care. I think they need to be inconvienced by all providers taking a day off to protest this will get their attention. I understand how many providers can't afford to take a day off but in the end they need to understand that one missed day of income may ensure 10 years of income by standing up to this bill. I got so frustrated that now I decided to opt out on organizing anything. Also I'm not willing to spend to once again spend my weekend at a rally where many don't want to come out and participate and inform their dc families or for families who don't care
    I hear what you are saying. It's very frustrating. Some days I am able to detach emotion from the situation and try not to get to worked up, but I'm human and it's not always possible lol When I saw something else was being arranged for a Sunday, I immediately got annoyed. The inconveniences to different people is what is going to attract the most attention and have the greatest chance of change. When people start making noise then people will be forced to pay attention more. A weekend rally is making it far to convenient for the industry in which case it will be highly surprising to me if it has much of an impact on the bills amendments which is a dammed bloody shame considering the time and money people have put into organizing this. I can not get over the fact that Toronto didn't hold a day of action and I am even more upset that Niagara Region providers fell silent which really makes me think more and more that there will be a significant increase in underground illegal daycares as a result. It's as if people are trying to go unnoticed now and not draw any attention to themselves so if the bill passes as is, they hope they can just continue as they are doing, likely not adhering to the ratios outlined in the law.

Obviously a weekend rally is better than nothing but for reasons I have stated before, will, I fear, be a lot of hard work for potentially not a lot of results. Protests aren't supposed to please people or be convenient, so to me, this just isn't good enough.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I understand your frustration with people not seeming to care, I am disappointed that Toronto didnt participate in the Day of Action as well, my city didnt either but several of us from here made the trek to oakville to show our support and I have contacted several providers here in my city without much success. However, this is not the time to give up just because of feeling frustrated. We are ALL frustrated with the whole process, especially the fact that Minister Sandals avoids every question that is asked of her and the fact that she will not respond to phone calls or emails! There is a weekday rally being organized in Ottawa for Mon Nov 10. As for the Guelph rally, we have 54 people confirmed so far and we have arranged for a an official press release to go out. Honestly, if we make enough noise on Sunday, Sandals WILL hear about from her constituents, whether she shows up or not.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jodaycare For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jodaycare View Post
    I understand your frustration with people not seeming to care, I am disappointed that Toronto didnt participate in the Day of Action as well, my city didnt either but several of us from here made the trek to oakville to show our support and I have contacted several providers here in my city without much success. However, this is not the time to give up just because of feeling frustrated. We are ALL frustrated with the whole process, especially the fact that Minister Sandals avoids every question that is asked of her and the fact that she will not respond to phone calls or emails! There is a weekday rally being organized in Ottawa for Mon Nov 10. As for the Guelph rally, we have 54 people confirmed so far and we have arranged for a an official press release to go out. Honestly, if we make enough noise on Sunday, Sandals WILL hear about from her constituents, whether she shows up or not.
    I love your attitude jodaycare. We need people like you to lift the spirits of those of us feeling at times like we are defeated. Don't mistaken me for giving up though, just simply stating my thoughts from a different angle.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Thank you for your kind words, Bright Sparks. I am passionate about this, I have been in business for a looonngg time. I am angry that some politician, who has absolutely no experience or education in the field that she is the Minister of , thinks that she can just make some new rules without consulting the people that do the work every day and who look after most of the children that are of daycare age. I sit and watch the webcast and want to wring her neck everytime she opens her mouth! I am terrified that even with all of our hard work, the bill will still go through anyway.

Euphoric !
    I think one of the realities of this line of work and why there can be so much apathy is that simply, a lot of us do this as an interim solution to our own childcare issues, not a long term career choice. I think a lot of us don't plan on doing this long term in the beginning. Some of us start off with a clear end date in our heads e.g. when own child enters kindergarten and others start to love the job the more they do it. The field can be quite transient as a result and full of those that are struggling in managing the job (and contemplating quitting) and those that have been doing it forever and don't care anymore. It is the in between people I think that are being the most active.

For myself, I think it is important to know that Toronto is a bit of a different animal. There are too many providers at the moment as a lot of moms have decided to go this route because they simply can't afford the cost of childcare in our city ($60+ a day for home daycare, $100 a day for infant centre care). I think this is where the apathy comes in (not that it's right) but most of us would just close up shop if it's not financially feasible anymore. A lot of centres are actually hurting for kids in some parts of Toronto and alerting parents of the Bill I know will cause some of them to look elsewhere for care and unfortunately for me as I have a lot of kids 2+ yrs old, they will find it. If parents are happy in your daycare, they don't look for care elsewhere and therefore aren't aware that there may be something else available (and possibly cheaper.)

I am not defending the actions of those in Toronto (as we have specifically been called out) I am just shedding a little more light on the matter. I myself have written letters, posted on forums and contacted my MPP. I have not told my daycare families for fear of them leaving (like I said, care is not as hard to come by as a lot of people think). I also would not be in a position to close for the day and leave my families without care. They need me to be reliable and I can't afford to loose them.

Expansive...
    Sometimes I wonder if lackluster turnouts are perhaps because maybe not all providers agree with the demands the CICPO (?) is making-please don't attack me for saying this. I have been holding my tongue for a while, because I am pretty sure I am the odd one out but....I don't agree with NOT including your own kids under 6. I am not attacking anyone personally here. I have seen providers in my area carting around 7-8 kids and I'm sorry but it's just not right. It's too much. The 2 under 2 rule on the other hand definitely is ridiculous but I just don't understand how anyone can expect parents and the general public to accept having 5 kids plus your own (2,3,4 more?) is ok.
    Last edited by Fun&care; 11-03-2014 at 12:35 PM.

Euphoric !
    I think what bothers most of us is that the changes are not necessary to bring any kind of increased safety. These rules have been around since forever in the day nurseries act and at a time when larger families of 3-4 kids was more normal so one mom looking after a group of 8-10 kids was normal and children entered care at 4-6 months of age due to the 6 month mat leave. What is hard for newer moms to accept is that large families are a way of life for those that truly love teaching and nurturing children and totally doable. I am into my 28th year of daycare, a mom to 4 kids including one with special needs and have always tried to stay filled with 5 children and haven't done school age care so only taking 5 under JK age since my third child started school (homeschooled our fourth one as part of the daycare group).

Outgoing
    Fun&care, I understand your concern, but I think it has to be up to the PARENTS to decide what is safe and acceptable for THEIR child. I have 3 kids of my own (6, 5, and 2) and have 5 daycare kids. But I chose to have 2 B/A school dckids and 3 full-time. I am actually UNDER ratio for the majority of the day, home with my own 2-year-old and 3 others all around age 2. My families picked me in part because of my own children; they knew their kids would have playmates their own age, they knew I would treat their kids as I treat my own. They made an educated choice, and they should continue to have the OPTION to do so. This Bill will not increase safety, it will take away parental choice.

The DNA has been law for over 40 years. Yes, it needs updating, but of the 6 deaths in the last few years that have hit the news, how many have been in daycares actually following the rules? Only ONE. The rest were in illegal warehousing daycares, with 20+ kids. The current ratios have been proven, in the vast majority of cases, to be safe.

The solution lies not in reducing our numbers and therefore our ability to make an income for our families, but in allowing us to be independently licensed and therefore overseen by the government.

While 7-8 kids may be too much for some, for some it is perfectly manageable, and parents must be held accountable for making a decision as to where to place their child. I have zero problems supervising my group and make sure each one gets plenty of one-on-one time. My clients should be allowed the choice to choose me, if they feel the same way. If they don't, and would rather a provider with no children or only their own older children, they should be free to make that choice too. The point is parental choice, and this Bill will take that away. Taking away my ability to make a living based solely on the number of children I have, and making it a blanket decision across the province, isn't fair nor logical, and it won't improve the safety of children across this province, which the Liberals say is what they are aiming to do.