Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rally - bill 10

Euphoric !

Rally - bill 10

Who's up for a ROAD TRIP!?

We are going to have a public awareness campaign in front of MPP Liz Sandals office regarding Bill 10 The Childcare Modernization Act.
    The campaign is intended to bring awareness about ICP's concerns regarding Bill 10, while Minister Sandals is in her home town riding.
    The intention is for concerned providers and parents to come from all over Southern Ontario.

We are running out of time to have our concerns heard. We want this Bill to travel at the committee stage. Min. Sandals wants it wrapped up by Christmas. We have to act now!

Outgoing
    I'm trying to organize a rally in Toronto at Queens Park sometime in November, if anyone is interested in attending please let me know if you would prefer a weekday or weekend? I honestly think that a weekday while the legislature is in session will have a huge impact also will send a message to our dc families to take bill 10 seriously.

Euphoric !
    I would attend that. Depending on the day, I could do it through the week....I could possibly get my sister to cover the daycare. Having just come off vacation on Nov.9th I don't think I could close for another day. Already took a day for press conference with Garfield. On a weekend, definitely! During week....very possibly

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I would suggest, Teagansmom, that you shoot to do it the same day as the others for optimal impact. Unfortunately, one date is the 9th and one the 10th. I'm flying home on the 9th and can't do the 10th. My sister, who would cover for me, has a course for her job and will be gone. Clients have been wonderful about this so far, but taking another day on top of a week vacation might cause a couple to blow a gasket.

Have you sent a letter in to me yet? If not, get whatever you've got in to my personal email by tonight so I can print it off and send with the rest. I'm gone as of Sunday morning, so I've got to have it wrapped up by tonight to FedEx tomorrow. c.a.fredenburgh@gmai l.com

There' no space between the i and l in gmail from my email addy....it just keeps showing up like that in here.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Yes I did send you a letter, I've decided to forgo the rally. Seems to be no interest in holding a rally in Toronto for a weekday

Outgoing
    Here is the info for the upcoming rally

CICPO Guelph Rally at Min. Sandals office
    Sunday, November 9 at 11:00am
    Community/Constituency Office 173 Woolwich Street Guelph N1H 3V4

We NEED your support for this one! Time is running out! If you care about the future of daycare, PLEASE come and join us. If you are on facebook, go to the Coalition of Independent Childcare Providers page and join the event.

Quote Originally Posted by jodaycare View Post
    Here is the info for the upcoming rally

CICPO Guelph Rally at Min. Sandals office
    Sunday, November 9 at 11:00am
    Community/Constituency Office 173 Woolwich Street Guelph N1H 3V4

We NEED your support for this one! Time is running out! If you care about the future of daycare, PLEASE come and join us. If you are on facebook, go to the Coalition of Independent Childcare Providers page and join the event.

Just curious why this is being organized for a Sunday again? I'm not on FB so can't start a discussion there. Is Liz going to be at the office on a Sunday? Highly unlikely so seems like it's going to have little to no effect and/or impact on the bill. Yes it is problematic to have this take place on a work day, but a Sunday is just a bad idea in my opinion and from discussing the day of action being held on a Sunday with the people at the Hamilton location, the majority all thought it was a bad idea too. Liz will no doubt be tucked up at home not giving us a second thought. We need to disrupt the industry to have any kind of impact in my opinion and Sunday just seems like the worst day of the week to try and get anything achieved. Do this on a Weekday, when Liz is onsite and resulting in an actual impact on the industry is much more productive. I really do understand that the Sunday is being used due to those providers who are either unable to take midweek time off or don't want to upset their daycare families, but fact is that's the only way to make people pay attention. On a Sunday most people with either not even know about it or laugh at us for taking such a passive approach. Just my 2 cents....I'll take a day off and if it pisses my daycare families off, GOOD! Perhaps then they will start making some noise and take some action.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I am not organizing it, just passing on the info. I was at the day of action in Oakville and we had almost 60 people! A success as far as I am concerned, Garfield Dunlop came to the rally in Oakville and he will be attending this one too. This rally is more to create public awareness. The organizers are collecting donations to pay for an official media release and are working on getting a major TV network to report on it as well. We want her constituents to know how unmotivated she is to listen to the people who pay her salary.
    Last edited by jodaycare; 11-01-2014 at 08:48 PM.

I am not organizing it, just passing on the info. I was at the day of action in Oakville and we had almost 60 people! A success as far as I am concerned, Garfield Dunlop came to the rally in Oakville and he will be attending this one too. This rally is more to create public awareness. The organizers are collecting donations to pay for an official media release and are working on getting a major TV network to report on it as well. We want her constituents to know how unmotivated she is to listen to the people who pay her salary.

I understand, I really do and not being on FB I really appreciate everyone updating the forum on the new developments. I'm just voicing my opinions that's all. I just don't think it's the most effective course of action holding a rally on a Sunday. The day of action was great but a success is not my overview of it when for example all daycare providers to my knowledge in the Niagara region fell silent although multiple people from all over the place reached out to them with resounding rejection. I hope there were other Niagara providers who attended unbeknownst to me. People turning out for the day of action is only deemed a success in my opinion if it has some kind of impact and had it been on a weekday, I imagine the repercussions would have been far more substantial. Not to say that it wasn't worth doing, I for one attended my closest location but I think that it likely had minimal effect. I for one will not be attending the Sunday Rally as I just don't think it's productive. I actually can't anyway as I have University open houses to attend. I would gladly without question attend on a weekday and will continue to support the cause in other ways but protesting is ineffective if it is not executed correctly. Switch the Sunday to a weekday and the results will likely be very different. Maybe it's the English in me who are far less passive and just like Europeans are all in when it comes to these kind of fights. I called several newspapers with regards to the day of action and none were even remotely interested. Did you get any media coverage at the Oakville location? I spoke to others in different locations who got no interest too. It's so disheartening and won't stop me from trying but I can't give up my minimal family time to invest in methods I don't believe to be very effective. It doesn't mean I don't support it, but I'm not driving over an hour to something that I just don't believe will have much of an impact when I believe my time could be better invested in other areas of fighting this bill. I know you didn't organize this and I appreciate the logistics in pleasing others and appealing to the majority. I'm just using this forum and this post to voice my views. I certainly don't intend to point fingers or negate anyone's efforts in fighting this cause.
    Last edited by bright sparks; 11-01-2014 at 10:56 PM. Reason: After thought

I think media coverage is crucial especially for Sunday rallies. Please keep us informed if you don't mind on how people can contribute and donate as Id like to help.