Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Bill 10 Update

Outgoing
    Second Wonderwiper's point. On my (small) city's page alone, I have had over 10 new providers join in the last 3 days. Not one of them has lifted a finger until now, despite my exhausting attempts to just get them to sign a petition or send an email - even one that was already written for them. Not only that, but they haven't bothered even paying attention. They have no idea what this Bill means or how it will affect them. These are the providers I have no patience for. Ones that couldn't be bothered to do a single thing and are now crying about the Bill. We would have appreciated the crying 3 months ago, so our petitions and letters and rallies and meetings with MPPs could have been that much stronger. We ALL have personal circumstances to deal with - but isn't this worth inconveniencing yourself a little bit? This is my career, my livelihood, my mortgage, my kids' lives. It was worth putting other things on the back burner months ago, and it's still worth it now. It's hard to feel sympathy for and spend hours explaining things for people who obviously didn't feel the same.

Euphoric !
    That's exactly my point Polkaroo. No one is upset that some people didn't do enough. If you contributed, that's flippin' awesome...and I mean it! There are 70,000 providers in Ontario. I do not believe for one second that even a 10th of those providers stepped up to the plate in any way. I ran into many who did absolutely nothing.....nothing. .....considering what's at stake, that's a dangerous position to maintain. My goodness.....I even ran into a provider at my rally who'd not even HEARD of bill 10! NO ONE is looking for a pat on the back here. But forgive us if we become a bit annoyed by those who couldn't participate at all by way of petitions, letters, educating parents/themselves, attending a weekend rally.....or anything.....if it was important enough to be upset about now and could cause detriment to one's livelihood, surely it's worth a bit of effort. My message is to those who did nothing.....there is no excuse for doing absolutely zippo, then whining and complaining about the aftermath. My hope is that people might take it a bit more seriously now and everyone pitch in a little so that we can be a stronger force. Can you imagine if 70,000 providers joined together and worked on this? Wow.....it could be incredible.....but we keep hearing "I'm too busy"...or in my case, crickets.

Expansive...
    Because our livelihoods are at stake I understand the heat of the conversation. That being said...let's slow down a minute. I don't think tearing each other down for not doing enough is going to accomplish anything, at all. If you spent time and money for this cause then good for YOU. What everyone else does with their time and how much effort they are willing to put into this is absolutely none of your business.

Some of us don't run at full capacity at all times so we don't feel as threatened and add to the fact that many of us are just doing this until our kids are in school and it's no wonder ppl aren't doing more. This job is a stepping stone for many.

I for one have written letters of my own and signed petitions too and informed my clients. Nobody gives a shit about this bill. I might get 1-2 likes on FB when I share articles or info. My clients almost never follow up with me when I send them emails about the bill unless I bring it up.

Last but not least...ever consider that some providers might not be showing more support because they actually do not agree with CCPRN or CICPO's recommendations? I actually think providers own kids under six SHOULD count. I risk getting stoned for saying that, but it had to be said.

Euphoric !
    Oh, man...I just spent 20 mins composing a response and it has been lost in the land of wherever that stuff goes. I am too lazy to rewrite it all.

I agree we should all care a little more. I also agree we should all do a little more. That being said for some of the reasons mentioned above, there are definitely barriers to getting people involved. E.g we are made up of SAHM, new immigrants and people who work under the table (If they're included in that 70 000). The sub group that is left is the group that needs to step up becuas they have the most at stake. I find people either 1) fight or 2) figure out how they'll manage once this bill comes to fruition and see it as inevitable. I have definitely been part of the second group because this job is short term for me. I have written my letters and signed petitions but I know I can and should do more. I think part of what CFred is saying is that people also need to own up to the fact that they are doing nothing.

Euphoric !
    I can only imagine how incredibly frustrating it is for those that have put so much time, energy, effort into fighting this bill. For many this is indeed your livelihood, your passion, your career, your life.

It is important to remember, for your sake so you don't get hopeless or defeated that this field is, as mentioned above, largely made up of SAHM, immigrants and just random people that thought it an easy job. So, while you have this 70,000 member number in your head it really isn't feasible to expect them to be fighting like you as a large number of them don't care because it doesn't impact them like it impacts you. Some really have no clue, and don't care to have a clue. Some will just continue as is not caring about the laws (if they didn't before this bill why would they after).

So...keep all that in mind...know that for those that have put up a great fight you are recognized for it. Not by all, but by those that actually care.

I've done what I can on my own end (and it pales in comparison to many). I don't agree with the Bill 10 but I also don't agree with how things are status quo. The are clearly missing the mark here they get that changes need to be made but they haven't a clue where or how to improve things. AND to complicate matters the ones that NEED these laws and limits put on them are the ones that are not fighting this bill...because they don't know about it, don't care about it and won't be bothered by it. Which is exactly why they need to make other, more important changes to improve childcare.

Don't let silence and inaction defeat you. For some, like me...my silence about what I have done goes unspoken because it pales in comparison to a few on here that are working so hard. I think many others on here are keeping tabs on what you post, are well aware and greatful for what you ladies do...they just aren't commenting on the little things they are doing to make a difference. The ones that don't care aren't on here listening to you...because it takes a lot of effort to log onto a daycare chat board on a daily basis to remain informed (not only about the bill but all aspects of daycare). So, they just aren't here to be impacted by your strong front on this manner.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

I know that I couldn't be at the rally in to, becuse im here in ottawa. It may not be seen as much, but we made flyers, by the undreds, put a sign on the stroller, and every day on the bus, at story time, at play group, s***, even when changing the kids bums at the mall, I've talked about bill 10 and the effects it will cause. Every single time I mention this to other daycare providers I get the same crappy Well it wont bother me, I'm not gonna change my numbers. I finally told one daycare provider yesterday at the park" If this bill passes, and you still have you 5 one year olds I will report you myself." Bitch move I know, but this was the same person, who said she wouldn't rally because it was to much work. Like come on for the love of godness sakes

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 33 Daiseys For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7