Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Bill 10 Update

Starting to feel at home...
    Other than coming right out and asking my parents, is there any other way I can tell if they have signed the petition?

Euphoric !
    I have to ask this.....

For months, my counterparts from other cities and myself have been absolutely killing ourselves fighting this bill. Many of us, myself included, spent hundreds of dollars funding our rallies. I took time off from work to attend a press conference. We've all been printing letters, emailing constantly and tried tirelessly to deal with the rampant apathy of the independent childcare industry. I personally phoned and emailed about 80 providers looking for support for this cause....nada. The last 3 days before my vacation were spent printing 150 emails, entering names and phone numbers from petitions, emailing politicians who attended my rally, etc, etc, etc. I worked until the very last second before I boarded the plane and have continued to email and make phone calls from Curacao. I've lost sleep, weight and have stressed about this endlessly....my boyfriend who has helped me more than any of the local providers in my town can attest to that....or my sister and parents who helped with the rally....this list goes on. But to have only ONE provider attend is, I'm sorry....dismal.

What I want to know is this......for months when I contacted providers and when I posted messages in here about rallies, progress or, frankly, anything about this issue....where was everyone? I was met with resounding silence and non commitment. Now when something adverse to our industry has actually happened, everyone comes out of the woodwork to discuss this? I really don't understand. For those who helped and gave it their all, thank you from the bottom of my heart. For those who couldn't have been bothered until now......either roll up your sleeves with the rest of us who are driving ourselves crazy to deal with this, help out, or just keep your complaints to yourselves. My patience is at an end with this nonsense. We've been fighting for all of us....you included.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by cfred View Post
    I have to ask this.....

For months, my counterparts from other cities and myself have been absolutely killing ourselves fighting this bill. Many of us, myself included, spent hundreds of dollars funding our rallies. I took time off from work to attend a press conference. We've all been printing letters, emailing constantly and tried tirelessly to deal with the rampant apathy of the independent childcare industry. I personally phoned and emailed about 80 providers looking for support for this cause....nada. The last 3 days before my vacation were spent printing 150 emails, entering names and phone numbers from petitions, emailing politicians who attended my rally, etc, etc, etc. I worked until the very last second before I boarded the plane and have continued to email and make phone calls from Curacao. I've lost sleep, weight and have stressed about this endlessly....my boyfriend who has helped me more than any of the local providers in my town can attest to that....or my sister and parents who helped with the rally....this list goes on. But to have only ONE provider attend is, I'm sorry....dismal.

What I want to know is this......for months when I contacted providers and when I posted messages in here about rallies, progress or, frankly, anything about this issue....where was everyone? I was met with resounding silence and non commitment. Now when something adverse to our industry has actually happened, everyone comes out of the woodwork to discuss this? I really don't understand. For those who helped and gave it their all, thank you from the bottom of my heart. For those who couldn't have been bothered until now......either roll up your sleeves with the rest of us who are driving ourselves crazy to deal with this, help out, or just keep your complaints to yourselves. My patience is at an end with this nonsense. We've been fighting for all of us....you included.
    I couldn't agree with you more cfred, I thanks you and all the team leads as well as Veronica, Heidi and Kim for all you have done. I did what I could, wanted to be able to do more in regards to organizing a weekday rally at queens park and nobody was up for it. So frustrating!!! Just know you are thanked by many

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Teagansmom For This Useful Post:

cfred, I understand your concerns. I know your very upset. In the defence of many who didn't help out, I'd like to say, not everyone has hundreds or even one hundred dollars at their disposal, not everyone has the time; due to family issues, not everyone can afford to take a day off for a Rally let alone a sick day, not everyone has the time to keep watch on this or any other site for updates. I do feel that their are girls keeping abreast of the situation even though they can't help. I don't think it's fair to link us all in one lump. Everyone has different circumstances in their lives. It doesn't mean we don't care or aren't concerned, it means some of us don't have the luxuries others do. I say this and yet I still understand how you can be upset.

Outgoing
    "luxuries others do"?? Really? People couldn't sign a petition? Couldn't take an hour out of their Sunday afternoon to come to an event organized for you and hold up a sign??

It is not about having the time, it is about not putting in the effort and the care because you assume someone else will. Now that suddenly the reality is hitting, all of our groups have seen providers appear out of the woodwork. Providers that we tried to reach for MONTHS, just to get a signature on a petition, a body to count in the calculations that were read during debates. Not everyone needs to organize a rally, all people needed to do was SHOW UP.

I've spent the last week hand-holding provider after provider explaining the Bill, explaining how it will affect them, taking yet more time out of my day and away from my family, because they couldn't be bothered to take 20 minutes one evening and read through the Bill and educate themselves. It's not a big commitment.

And yet I keep on doing it, because if I don't, maybe no one else will, and then somebody who doesn't know what they're talking about will somehow get themselves in front of the media that we have spent MONTHS lobbying, and that person will talk about a Bill they don't understand and make all of us look like idiots.

Cfred took the words right out of my mouth. I am doing all of this so that when this Bill inevitably gets passed, and my income literally goes below the poverty line, I can still know that I did everything I could to stand up for my business, my family and my clients. I'm not sure that many will be able to say the same.

Sorry, it had to be said.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrazyEight For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I have also tried to contact providers in my area and have received no response at all from them. I am not rich my any means nor do I drive but I managed to donate a small amount to the rally fund and CICPO itself. I also found a way to get to Oakville for the day of action, as well as to the meeting with MPP Macleod the other night. I will also be in Guelph on sunday. I have written countless emails, shared info on Facebook and here. I will not be able to get to Queens park for the hearings but you can bet I will be sending a written submission and I have asked my parents to do the same. I understand that life is busy, especially if you have young children of your own, fortunately mine is 21 so she is independent. But it only takes a few minutes to write down a few meaningful points about how the bill will impact you and send it off to the commitee. This Bill will impact everyone, providers and parents alike. I am scared too for the future of my chosen profession but if we don't keep fighting for what we believe in, nothing will change and even if we don't succeed at least we can say we fought with everything we had. Just my 2 cents.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jodaycare For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    LOL!!! Luxuries??? Wow......no, sorry...I don't particularly have the luxury of extra time or money. I'm a single mother with a modest business and a very tight schedule. I MADE the time to do all this and borrowed money from other things. In other words, I made a commitment to do everything I could to save this industry. Had we all chipped in, perhaps things might have been easier for everyone. And really, I've done nothing in comparison to those three women in Ottawa. My god they're fantastic! We all owe them tremendously. The point is that it's inconvenient for anyone to participate in something like this. But really, it's very simple....if you want to save your profession, and you're serious in that endeavor, inconvenience is a necessity. One has to commit to striving for change to actually achieve it. As I read recently, 'doing nothing is a great way to achieve nothing'. We all have stresses and I think my life is as busy as anyone's. BUT, I care about this industry and, like others who have contributed, I saw no sense in watching it happen. No one asked any providers to contribute money. As a team lead, I took the initiative to do that on my own, and I don't hold anyone else accountable to that. BUT, as I spent several days bent over poster board making signs, or running from one politician to the next at the rally trying to educate all of them as my sister worked on bringing more people in, I was absolutely resentful of providers.....provid ers who COULD have taken 2 hours out of a Sunday morning to assist or at the very least, be a warm body to show support. I watched people agonize for 4 pages in here over what snack to serve, but when it came to something as important as this bill, nothing. So please don't tell me people don't have time to follow it on the computer. This forum would indicate otherwise.

I'm not here looking for thanks. I offered my contributions as I wished to and no one asked me to do so. I wouldn't change a thing. I suspect though, that as this bill comes to fruition, not all of you can say the same. For those who helped, thank you. It is appreciated more than you can know. The show of support from those who took initiative to do what they could was tremendous and I value the new comradery among my peers as we've united to take on this task. As I said, for those who didn't wish to help, that's fine....your prerogative. But don't complain about the repercussions when it affects your livelihood.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Ahh Cfred....we've talked about this before. Soooo much easier to hide and whine.

Everyone is busy. Not everyone needs to lead a rally or meet with politicians.

No one is too busy to send out emails/letters, put flyers on mailboxes while walking to the park etc, donate $5 on gofundme etc. Getting the word out is just as important as organizing rallies and can be done while resting on ones laurels. Every little bit helps.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Wonderwiper For This Useful Post:

Some of these messages contradict themselves. "Do what you can" but yet make people feel bad for not doing enough. Some have done their best. Just because they don't advertise what they've done, remember that doesn't mean they haven't done anything. Maybe not enough in some views, but everyone does what they can in the circumstances and life challenges they are currently living. Pointing fingers will not help anything. Frustration and feeling are owned by you, venting is important but getting angry at those in this profession that haven't done what you wish they had is a waste of energy. Just my opinion. I have done what I could, reality is, we are still faced with this reality. We must stick together, not do...this. good luck to everyone with their plan moving forward. One thing I've learned this year is no matter what, things will be ok. Stay positive and do your best and have faith. I will continue what I've been doing and hope for all of us something will come out of it.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Polkaroo View Post
    Some of these messages contradict themselves. "Do what you can" but yet make people feel bad for not doing enough. Some have done their best. Just because they don't advertise what they've done, remember that doesn't mean they haven't done anything. Maybe not enough in some views, but everyone does what they can in the circumstances and life challenges they are currently living. Pointing fingers will not help anything. Frustration and feeling are owned by you, venting is important but getting angry at those in this profession that haven't done what you wish they had is a waste of energy. Just my opinion. I have done what I could, reality is, we are still faced with this reality. We must stick together, not do...this. good luck to everyone with their plan moving forward. One thing I've learned this year is no matter what, things will be ok. Stay positive and do your best and have faith. I will continue what I've been doing and hope for all of us something will come out of it.

I didn't read anyone saying people didn't do enough. Comments were made about being too busy to do ANYTHING. Sending a single email is helping.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast