Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Bill 10 Update

If this passes by Xmas I will likely suggest that my two who would turn two in 4 weeks after that time go to grandmas until their birthday. I know they have some flexibility short term. Hopefully that will solve the issue for me. I can't lose 1500 a month income just like that without notice. This will cripple a lot of providers who rely on this income.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    If this passes by Xmas I will likely suggest that my two who would turn two in 4 weeks after that time go to grandmas until their birthday. I know they have some flexibility short term. Hopefully that will solve the issue for me. I can't lose 1500 a month income just like that without notice. This will cripple a lot of providers who rely on this income.
    That sounds like a good plan. I'm sure they will go for it otherwise they risk not being able to find a spot anywhere else anyways.

Starting to feel at home...
    I have a question maybe some of the girls from Ottawa can answer for me. I will remain unlicensed. Can you tell me "approximately" how much you will raise your rates, if anything.

Euphoric !
    If this passes at Christmas, I will be over ratio for 2 wks until my one child turns 2. I like the suggestion of having them stay with family for the short term...not good for me financially though.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Actually this bill won't effect me that much. My kids are older (they actually a babysitters for the daycare kids on weekends) and I never ever do 2 kids under the age of two. I think it's way too much to have so many kids under the age of 2. What I don't agree is that we are all being lumped together. Where I live the most you can charge is 35 dollars and good luck getting that. How can I get more when our community is not like Toronto. And I feel like those that live outside the Toronto area are being punished for the mistakes of some stupid stupid daycare providers. Why should we all suffer. And really this bill isn't going to stop people. On my buy and sell site, there is a lady advertising for daycare and she has 7 children in all her pics (she's older these are not her kid) I have reported her and she doesn't care.

Outgoing
    I'm not blaming all Toronto providers it's just that a lot of illegal ness seems to happen there, hence all the news.

Quote Originally Posted by momofnerds View Post
    Actually this bill won't effect me that much. My kids are older (they actually a babysitters for the daycare kids on weekends) and I never ever do 2 kids under the age of two. I think it's way too much to have so many kids under the age of 2. What I don't agree is that we are all being lumped together. Where I live the most you can charge is 35 dollars and good luck getting that. How can I get more when our community is not like Toronto. And I feel like those that live outside the Toronto area are being punished for the mistakes of some stupid stupid daycare providers. Why should we all suffer. And really this bill isn't going to stop people. On my buy and sell site, there is a lady advertising for daycare and she has 7 children in all her pics (she's older these are not her kid) I have reported her and she doesn't care.
    My kids are older too and also babysit my current and past daycare kids too...make more money than me lol

Unfortunately depending on the area, some providers, in fact a lot of providers, do not have the luxury to opt to only care for 1 child under two because since full day kindergarten I have heard lots of providers say that the amount of enquiries for kids over 2 years has dropped dramatically. Obviously I know each individual decides what is within their comfort zone, or really just their preference, but I haven't had an enquiry for a child over 2 in more than 2 years, not a single one. So if I wasn't open to multiple under twos then I wouldn't make any money. Multiple under 2's is busy but I prefer to have them all at the same stage developmentally wise so within a few months of each other at the most. Makes programming much easier, although I've learnt over the years to make it work without to much trouble if I have a vast variance in ages, but also I like to get them all young because they are more likely to stay with me longer generally speaking and I can " train" them before those bad habits are instilled in them. I currently have a 3 1/2 yr old who was a families 2nd child. I had his sister for 3 years and she is in sk now and he came to me at 8 months. I've taken as young as 3 months. I had all my kids except him leave for school at the same time which for me was the only major downside but it's not like I couldn't plan for it. Biggest issue in my neighbourhood for filling those spots were the sudden influx of stay at home mums charging a good $15-$20 less per day, which no matter how good a program may be is hard to compete with. As for raising rates, once the bill is in place, demand for under two spots will shoot through the roof so then the rate will go up everywhere. It's nothing to do with Toronto and other major urban centres, it's simply supply and demand. When there is a mass shortage there will be a premium to pay, not because providers are abusing the parents situation, but because we will need to raise rates to make ends meet with the new ratio restrictions.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by momofnerds View Post
    I'm not blaming all Toronto providers it's just that a lot of illegal ness seems to happen there, hence all the news.
    I think illegal practices happen as much all over the place, we just don't know about it. Toronto has simply been highlighted due to the fatalities that have been reported in the media.

Expansive...
    So far I myself have thought out two different scenarios regarding rates but haven't decided which road I will take. It will depend on what other providers are doing too.

1) raise rates by 5-10$ for kids under 2 currently enrolled immediately after the bill passes so that I can save up and prepare for the inevitable time when I will only have the income of 2 daycare kids to support my family

2) keep rates the same after the bill passes but charge 5-10-15$ more per day for new infant spaces and keep over 2 spaces at 40$...or maybe 45$?

I am leaning more towards the second option but heck if I am getting calls out the heiny for under 2 spaces immediately after the bill passes....it would be VERY tempting to raise rates. At this point part of me just doesn't care...parents and ppl on FB or anyone I talked to did not give a rats ass about this bill...it will be hard for ME to give a rats ass for charging more!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fun&care For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    With rates going up for legal daycare, illegal daycare will pop up a dime a dozen. I feel in my city legal daycare will still have a hard time filling spots because of this. I would never even get close to $5 more per day for a child under 2.