Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Drop off issue or not?!

Hey folks
    Just wondering if anyone has any policy regarding drop off time. Specifically I have a parent that drops off her 2.5 yr old anywhere between 9am & 11am without any notice. The problem is, the morning is very busy with indoor & outdoor activites and weather permitting we go out for a walk around 10am(all my other kids are dropped off at 7:45/8am. I'm finding that we are "stuck at the house" until he arrives. Another problem that comes up is nap time, if he gets dropped off at 11am(maybe because he is sleeping in?) he's certainly not ready to rest like the other are and he cries & whines almost the entire nap time, falling asleep around 2pm. Afternoon activities start around 2:30-3pm so he's not getting a good sleep and we all know what that means! Crabby pants am I over stepping my boundaries as a care provider to ask that he be dropped off by 9am? ( when he is dropped early he has no problem at nap time) just finding he casual drop off restrictive & hard to manage

Other info: he has been coming to my daycare since he was a baby, up until 2 months ago, has been on a solid 9am drop off.

Would you ask for a more solid schedule? Get them to text before heading over?
    Any suggestions

Euphoric !
    nope tell her he needs to be there by 9 am as you go out and its unfair to the other children ifyou have to wait around. or just put up a notice on the door saying ...attn. daycare parents please ensure that effective immediately your child is dropped off prior to 9am so as not to disrupt the days activities. thanks for your cooperation"

Outgoing
    I don't have a policy as such but I do have a routine which parents are well aware of.

Everyone who comes has an expected drop-off time which is their norm. If they aren't going to be here for their usual time, it is the parent's responsibility to inform me in advance, so at least the day before. Things like doctors or dentists appointments are the usual reason. Or if a parent is on a later shift, they might like to drop off later. I do however state that all children need to be here for 9am or else no one will be available at the house until nearer lunchtime.

Unless it's heavy rain or snow, we are out of here at 9am. If someone hasn't bothered telling me they are going to be late and if they've made no contact, then my parents know that I will presume they aren't coming and will continue with my day.

I return to the house some time between 11am and 11.30am so they will have to wait for my return. If a parent doesn't have the courtesy to communicate their plans then they cannot expect me to call around trying to find out if they are coming and delaying the activities for everyone else.

In your situation, I would NOT be waiting around. They know the routine. Speak to them since they are a fairly long term client and tell them that the late drop off means everyone else's day is being put on hold waiting for them to show up, that you will be headed out as per your normal schedule if they aren't here so please be here by 9am latest. I would also be asking them direct if he's sleeping in because the late arrival days, where he's not napping as per the schedule, it continues to disrupt everything. Other children are not getting a quality rest because this child is disturbing them and then when he is tired, you are again tied to indoors whilst he sleeps!

I wouldn't encourage texting before they head over as that implies you are okay with the late drops and just need to know when they are coming. Tell them straight, your routine will continue regardless of whether or not he's there and they run the risk of waiting until you have returned if not there by 9am. You have a responsibility to all the children in your care to provide a full day including outside time and will cannot be expected to change that routine for everyone to accommodate their whims.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachael For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I would tell the parents to drop off by 9 too. Let them know that you've noticed he seems to be happier and have a better day when he's dropped off earlier. When my older son was in daycare, I had to drop him off by 10:00 at the latest, and I never had a problem with it.

Euphoric !
    My drop off is between 7:30-9. This is for all the reasons mentioned. This way you can ensure they aren't sleeping in and throwing off the schedule and I also tell the parents that it isn't fair to their child if they arrive at 11 and then they have to eat lunch and nap without getting a chance to play with their friends. That usually helps them understand why it's important. I think they care less about how it impacts us as they (some parents) think we just need to deal with it as it's our job.

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by torontokids View Post
    My drop off is between 7:30-9. This is for all the reasons mentioned. This way you can ensure they aren't sleeping in and throwing off the schedule and I also tell the parents that it isn't fair to their child if they arrive at 11 and then they have to eat lunch and nap without getting a chance to play with their friends. That usually helps them understand why it's important. I think they care less about how it impacts us as they (some parents) think we just need to deal with it as it's our job.
    This exactly! Well said torontokids.

Euphoric !
    I used to have one like this too and it drove me crazy!! I would text at 9 to ask what time they were coming and I wouldn't hear back for hours. They overslept, the alarm didn't go off, her phone was on silent, her daughter was up late so she let her sleep in etc etc. For the same reasons as you, it bugged me.

I repeatedly asked her to be there by 930/10 at the latest so that her child could get the most out of daycare!! They paid a lot of money for her to come here and basically just eat lunch and lay in her playpen (she wouldn't nap either on the really late drop off days) I explained that we did most of our structured learning in the morning and her child was missing out on this. They didn't seem to care. Mom worked part time and went to school part time (but on her own schedule) and had said on many occasions that she wasn't a morning person. I think this was the reason for the late drop offs.

I am not a drop in centre and I like to know when people are coming and going. I don't mind the odd drop off/pick up at a different time but a time span of up to 2-3 hours is just disrespectful IMO.

I think you are within your rights to ask a parent to be here by xxx time. It is your program and you have to run it so that all the children benefit the most from it. Waiting around the house for a child is not fun and really limits what you can do when you have to stick close to home/backyard.

Shy
    I personally would not sit around and wait. In fact, I have it in my parent handbook that "if I am not notified that the child is going to be late by the regular drop off time then I will go on about my day, which may mean that no one is home when when you come to drop off" of course its written a little more eloquently in my handbook, but that's the jist of it. It only takes one time of you not being home when they show up late, for them to never be late again without notice.

Since you don't have a similar policy (or maybe you do?) I would start by talking to the parents. "i think its wonderful that over the past two months youve been able to spend more time with XXX in the mornings, but unfortunately its been negatively affecting our days here".... and explain about missing morning walks, outdoor time, and whatever else. The work out a solution that works for you.

Euphoric !
    Personally I would just ask her the night before what time she plans on coming in the morning because you are going to be going on outings in the morning and would be away from __ to __ daily. I find that when parents think their child is going to miss out on something they show up earlier.

I have one that is similar although drop off wasn't usually that late. Latest was around 10. I would just carry on with my morning. The boy really enjoys art/craft time so he would ALWAYS miss out. The other kids would show him what they did and I would casually mention him (and mom) sorry you missed art/crafts this morning. He has missed snack on occasion too. Luckily mom's schedule is earlier this time around at school so drop off's are somewhat around 9 am every day now.