Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Frustrated! About legal limiting of people...

Is anyone else frustrated with the regulation that does not allow day care providers to gather in their own home with more than 5 day care children present? I am trying to see how this is going to work. I sometimes feel very isolated as a provider and would like to have a friend with other children over sometimes and vise versa. I find that my parents want their children to interact with other kids but am not sure how to make this happen.

There is a play group in our neighborhood in a church however I have found in the past that playgroups for day care providers feel so unsafe. Lots of kids and not all the providers are with their children. They are often sitting together eating snack and having coffee. Not to mention the germs with 20 -30 kids in one room - yuck. For me to the local play group is quite far to walk, once we get there it's often time to go home for lunch or a nap.

It is -30 here some days in the winter so meeting a parks outside is not really an option.

What are other people doing? Ignoring the rules or being alone?

Regards,
    Jennifer

Shy
    I used to get together in good weather at a park or at an early years centre. Not so much anymore unless i have only a couple that day and another provider only has a couple. It's hard in the winter to be so isolated though.

Starting to feel at home... Tot-Time's Avatar
    Yes, I am finding the 'no play dates' policy to be very frustrating as well!!!!! I live in Ottawa area and the CCPRN is hosting extra children's events so that caregivers will still have opportunity to socialize in public. It isn't the same but it does mean that I can have a few minutes of adult conversation

Also, with the 'no play date' policy it doesn't mean that you can't get together with Mom's and have play dates. I don't know a whole lot of people but I am certainly looking at seeing if I can meet some Mommy's and tots to have over for play dates.

In the summer it is definitely easier to socialize and meet in public places, but yes, the winter it is very isolating because we are daycare bound often.

To beat the winter isolation, I am currently taking my daycare children to approx 3 - 4 children's events per month, 1 field trip, music lessons every other week, and getting to the park every single day that we can. I can't stand driving the daycare children to and from so many activities but it is the only way to stay sane, lol.

Euphoric !
    It's difficult in the winter, but in the nice weather I like to meet other caregivers at a nearby park for playdates. Also, we have a storytime program at our libraries in our city and we can meet with our groups to play there and enjoy the stories and songs. It's also nice to have someone else perform circle time once a week, heehee!

Outgoing
    Is that rule in every province? And is it for the licensed or non-licensed homes ...or both?
    I'm a private day home and haven't heard of this ...in Calgary.

Starting to feel at home... Tot-Time's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlc1982 View Post
    Is that rule in every province? And is it for the licensed or non-licensed homes ...or both?
    I'm a private day home and haven't heard of this ...in Calgary.
    I am not sure about other provinces, but it is for Ontario.
    ~*~ Nicole's Tot-Time Daycare ~*~
    www.nicolestot-time.com

Starting to feel at home... dragonlady3's Avatar
    It is a very confusing situation in Ontario. Apparently some cities have turned a blind eye to play dates in each other's homes, and some cities have banned it. The language in the Day Nurseries Act is open to interpretation and there is no 'rule' book to clarify the situation. Therefore, some of us have a couple of decades of play dates experience (in Ottawa) but in Petawawa for instance, they have not been allowed. Go figure.

Starting to feel at home...
    Hello

A licensed childcare (the home is licensed not the caregiver) may only have 7 children and there are very strict rules about the ages of the children that may be present. You may have another caregiver over (as long as they have criminal record searches done), but you cannot exceed the 7 children and age limit restrictions. Regulations state that a caregiver that is not licensed may only have 2 children on the premises or 3 if 2 are siblings. Regulations state that you may not share a nanny if she will be caring for more than 2 children.
    Regulations are very strict in BC. but on nice days we do have the chance to visit in the parks and playgrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by horsegirl View Post
    Hello

A licensed childcare (the home is licensed not the caregiver) may only have 7 children and there are very strict rules about the ages of the children that may be present. You may have another caregiver over (as long as they have criminal record searches done), but you cannot exceed the 7 children and age limit restrictions.
    NICE! I have a licensed Group Care Centre in BC. There was a time when I only had 2 children in care due to sickness, and vacations. I called my LO to ask if it is an accepted practise to visit another centre if they had low numbers too. She said "No, it's not in the children's best interest. It is in your interest." If we're supervising the children and happy, the children will be happy! Isn't that the children's best interest?? So, there is one obvious benefit to having a licensed family daycare instead of a Multiage or Group Centre!

Starting to feel at home... dragonlady3's Avatar
    I think you have raised a good point. BUT I don't think it is what either of our Provinces want to hear. My impression is that they think the only 'legitimate' form of day care is institutional day care. I don't understand that bias but I think it is very real. My 15 years of experience in day care, and 33 years as a mother have led me to believe VERY STRONGLY in the value of home based care for children. I think that the rules should be made to be more realistic. I once did a GOOGLE search re: children injured in large day cares and was stunned at how many articles there were about it. And not nearly so many with home based day cares. So why the bias against us?