Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill 10 Update

Outgoing

Bill 10 Update

They adjourned debate yesterday. Here is an update from one of the CICPO founders

UPDATE: I have just been informed that there will be a vote tomorrow morning on time-allocating the debate on Bill 10. The motion will pass as the Liberals have a majority government. The Bill will not travel.
    It is IMPERATIVE that as many parents and providers find a way to speak to Committee at Queen's Park. The dates for Committee are: Monday. November 17th from 2-6 and 6:30-8:00pm and Tuesday, November 18th from 4-6 and 6:30-8:00 pm.
    Applications to present must be made through the Clerk of the Standing Committee on Social Policy. Here is the link:
    http://www.ontla.on.ca/lao/en/gettin...-hearings.html
    As this process is, in some ways, based on first come, first serve, we urge you to make your application immediately. For those of you who cannot travel to Toronto, we are hoping that the evening meetings will allow tele- and/or vido-conferencing. We should have confirmation of that by tomorrow or Wed at the latest.
    We will continue to hold our scheduled rallies in Guelph and Ottawa. More rallies will only help. We need as much media attention on the matter as possible. Not enough people are aware of the Bill or what they will be facing in the future. Please share.

Oh Jeez, that makes me extra anxious now to learn that the bill will definitely not travel. Boy is cfred ever in for a surprise when she comes back off vacation. Everyone has to fight with all they have now, but I really can't help but think that the decision has already been made and they couldn't give a rats ass what anyone else has to say, they couldn't care less. It's a shame that it's a majority government, so really doesn't that mean that regardless, even if every other member of the house were against this it would still get passed?

I've got early morning, pre caffeine ramble going on so excuse me ladies

Starting to feel at home...

Plan moving forward

I'm just curious to know how many of you are planning on closing when the bill goes through and if you're not closing (for many reasons) what is your plan? I myself will close, just curious to know what others are planning on doing.

I was actually going to ask similar questions Polkaroo. What are providers going to do who have their under 2 spots taken by part timers?? Also has there been any talk at all about grandfathering children in who are already in spots or will there be an immediate mass of termination without notice given?? I have 3 under 2, but two of them turn 2 in February. My third isn't turning 2 until August. It took me nearly a year to fill this spot so I accepted a 3 day week place. I am only open Mon-Thurs. I was considering giving 30 days notice to this family that due to the change in law, I would require that all under 2 placements be for the 4 day a week and there would be a significant rate increase. I currently charge $45 a day. For under 2 I was considering $60 a day. Yes it's hard on the parent and I don't like having to do it, but that's the reality, I have to do it. If they don't like it, which really why would they, it's not like they will have a lot of options for childcare and if they did leave, I'd no doubt have a line up of families fighting for the spot. I'm not sure if I should maybe give this family a heads up now, I don't want them to leave, but I do think if I were in their shoes, I'd like a bit of notice. That being said, I have told all my families about the bill with the general response being "whatever", it's not my responsibility to keep them up to date beyond that. Just like we have to keep ourselves informed, so do they. By all means ask me for updates, but I have enough to do trying to keep up to date myself, they should take some responsibility and interest in how this effects them and keep well informed too. I have a mom of one of the nearly 2 year olds who is also due to have a baby in May. I want to give her a heads up just to be kind so she can try and secure a spot asap.

Expansive...
    My daycare parents support the bill because it will mean smaller group size for most providers. I have one having a baby soon, and I've tried to explain that there will be a shortage of spots, but she doesn't think it will be reality. I don't think that they understand that I'll will likely be closing shortly. I've already begun academic upgrading, as I anticipated this bill would pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Busy ECE mommy View Post
    My daycare parents support the bill because it will mean smaller group size for most providers. I have one having a baby soon, and I've tried to explain that there will be a shortage of spots, but she doesn't think it will be reality. I don't think that they understand that I'll will likely be closing shortly. I've already begun academic upgrading, as I anticipated this bill would pass.
    I'm going to school in September too having already been accepted but it will definitely effect that decision significantly if the bill passes early, current children aren't grandfathered in and I have to take a sudden drop in enrollment due to the ratio restrictions. I think a lot of people are planning ahead which is smart, but I also think a lot are trying to disappear into the shadows so they can keep operating as they are and hope they don't get caught being off on their ratios.

Outgoing
    I'm not a snitch, but you can bet your a$$ that I'll be reporting any provider that I confirm is over in numbers. Why the hell would I take a 40% cut in income while they get to feign ignorance and operate outside of the law?

I'm going to stay open, with 3 kids of my own and my husband's hours all over the place, and only having one vehicle, there is no feasible way for me to bring in enough after daycare costs. But I'll now be making LESS than $20,000 BEFORE expenses. Yep, that's below the poverty line. Now granted, my income is only part of my household income, but my husband works in retail management - certainly not big bucks there.

We're just lucky that our mortgage is affordable - no more dreaming of a bigger house. It also puts a serious damper on our plans for one more baby. I think we still will, because we can survive off my reduced income, but it means resigning myself to that as a max income for the next 4 years, until my (current) youngest turns 6.

It's not over yet guys....the official vote on whether or not the committee will travel won't take place until this afternoon, and we can still apply to speak to the committee or send letters to be read to the committee. It's not over till it's over, and the only way I'll be ok with myself is if I keep fighting until the end.

Starting to feel at home...
    I know that where I live people won't go for an increase in fees at all. I already charge near the top end and in order to make up for the loss of one child I'd have to charge so much extra that the price alone would cause a mandatory close. The underground will become ever so popular and not get caught. I know I will report "BUT" there are lots of people who won't so the underground will get bigger. How is the government going to charge them if they don't know of them. We can only close so many of them. IMO not enough to make a difference.
    Last edited by Samantha33; 11-04-2014 at 11:38 AM. Reason: calculated wrong.

Euphoric !
    My plan is to get pregnant ASAP and go on mat leave once the baby comes. After that yr off my 2nd will be starting kindergarten and I will have to decide about the 3rd baby. Either have them go into daycare or start back up again. I think I am kind of mentally done with daycare though to be honest. My dream would be to move out of Toronto to live near my family, throw our equity onto a new house and stay home with my kids...oh, to dream. We almost had the chance to do this but my husband didn't get that job.

Expansive...
    I will be ok for now but what I fear is the future. When I start losing some of the older kids, if I can't fill more than 2 spots I will for sure consider closing up and pursuing a different career as both mine will be in school by next sept.

My sister is in a small town where the daycare center recently closed, the night it gave notice to it's clients her DCP filled up her spots in one night. I think she cares for 7-8 kids total....where will these parents go when the bill passes?

I am very frustrated that we are not being heard despite tremendous effort. I am so so so disappointed in our government. I don't understand why we are not being included in the discussion. And they can't even do basic math!

My dc parents also seem to have a pretty "whatever" attitude. Not to sound vengeful lol, but in a few months after this bill has passed when they realize how bad things are I will say I told you so!
    Last edited by Fun&care; 11-04-2014 at 12:19 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast