Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Bill 10 grace period?

So far I have read that there will be a 3rd reading sometime in the next couple of months?

And does anyone know if there will be an adjustment period on this if- ugh- it does pass? Will we all, and other parents be 6 months or so to get all in order?

It would be completely insane to just expect people to make these changes over night!

Euphoric !
    There are rumours circulating that if it is passed by December recess that it would go through the coming into law process over the winter and be implemented in time for September 2015. That was right from the ministry of education office so unofficial but promising if it is true.

Outgoing
    Thanks play! I am glad to hear that because my current "under-two" daycare kids that are currently enrolled will be two by then and I will have time to figure out my next step. Trying to prepare and I am glad to hear that it won't be immediate (which would be INSANE!)

Outgoing
    There has been some talk that it will be implemented for Fall 2015, and some talk that it will be immediate. In my opinion, the best course of action is to fight as hard as we can with petitions, letters to the committee, rallies, and media coverage, and at the same time quietly make contingency plans both for January 1st and for next fall. The third reading WILL happen before Christmas for sure, however. The committee is in session on Nov. 17th and 18th, and the third reading will be about a week after that. Sandals has said multiple times that it needs to be passed before Christmas.

Outgoing
    I agree! I have been hearing that the Bill might also be blocked? I am hoping that happens!

I honestly don't know what I will do if the Bill passes with an expectation of immediate changes!
    Parents will face a substantial increase in fees effective immediately.

To be honest I'm sick of rumours. They aren't helpful. I think playfelt's source is at least believable but all I keep hearing is talk with most having no source and it's driving me nuts. Yes we need to fight but we also need to have a plan in place. I think it's awful that this isn't public knowledge, that it isn't easily and readily available. I'm not on FB which seems to be where most info is being passed around, how pathetic that FB should be the platform to stay informed. Why would it seem that the minister of education is keeping as much as possible from EVERYONE?!?! Regardless of agreeing or disagreeing with the bills details, shouldn't we the general public, the home daycare providers and the parents be kept informed and up to date when our countries government is calling all the shots on how our lives play out!! So frustrating not having any clue at all what we are going to have to deal with specifically. I for one not only want to take care of my business and financial security by having a plan in place but I also want to be able to give my daycare families accurate information so they can also plan. Making the best of a bad situation with a smooth transition should be a priority for everyone regardless of whether we agree or not. I would think that the bill passing in December and then coming into play in Sept 2015 would be a good choice for transitioning but I can't wrap my head around the fact that these very important details are not being made public knowledge. It bewilders me how a politician or group of, are the ones making decisions on an industry they have little or no experience in first hand, with no input at all from home daycare providers, and then just move onto the next thing leaving us to deal with the mess. It's criminal that's what it is. Absolute nonsense.

Outgoing
    Bright Sparks- I agree with EVERYTHiNG you just wrote!

I can't believe how hard it is to find information on Bill 10- especially considering these huge potential changes!

They will have to wait to implement if it passes (I.E. September 2015 and NOT immediate) because people will need a minute to find out what the heck is going on!

Euphoric !
    This article published today after the Guelph rally says a Fall 2015 implementation. Quoted from Liz Sandals.

http://www.guelphmercury.com/news-st...nment-changes/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Just because a bill passes third reading does not mean it comes into law the next day either. It still has to go through a process of becoming a law, get royal assent etc. And then a date is set for it's implementation. Think how long it took from the time the distracted driving bill was passed and when police started charging people for using cell phones while driving. If you go to the legislature site and look at how a bill becomes law section it outlines the steps. As to bill 10 there is also info on each days proceedings using the hansard links - think it is the orders and notices for Nov 5 but there is an outline of the steps for bill 10. There are two days of public input Nov 17, 18 and then the committee will meet Nov 24, 25 to look at the bill clause by clause and make amendments based on what they were told in the pubic hearings IF they want to and then present back to the parliament on We Nov 26. Then it is presented for third reading, there are I think two more hours of debates of the changes if any and then a vote is taken to pass the bill. Then it must go through the bill into law process. This is time consuming and not something that happens over night. Read more info here but do look around the legislature site for info if you are not on the facebook group. Read the past hansard files under debates and lawmaking section as it is a transcript of the discussions that have taken place. But the one dealing with the process we are now entering should be found here:

http://www.ontla.on.ca/house-proceed...2014_Votes.pdf

11. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Thanks Play- I was pretty sure even if the Bill passed implementation would not be possible immediately-but so many people on this board kept saying they had to be prepared immediately if the Bill passes before Christmas-so I was just wondering what was up with that!