Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Bill 10 Team Up = 2 adults/providers +12 kids

I read in a summary on the CICPO website
    That under the new bill providers that are working under an agency
    Can now team and have 2 adults run a dayhome with 12 children total? Is this
    Correct?

Also, is wee watchers the only Agency in Ontario because that's nuts!

Any other agencies ?

Euphoric !
    Try and get home/daycare insurance for over 5 kids

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    That's true! I guess my home insurance would go up! That said I am not keen on going through an agency!

Seems like an odd incentive to me- as, how is that supposed BE an incentive at all!

Euphoric !
    I would think home insurance will adapt to the new laws. Right now they only allow up to 5 but this would be because that is the law. Why would the insurance willingly cover more then the law allows. So I don't know that this is really going to be an issue...there may be a good lag time before insurance companies catch up to the new numbers though.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    There are agencies everywhere, most cities have their own one or 2, and wee watch is throughout southern Ontario.

And yes, under Bill 10, agency providers would be allowed to team up and have 12 children, up to 4 under age 2. This is why I don't believe the Bill is really about safety at all - if 5 under 6, including 2 under 2, is what is safe (because that's what they're limiting private providers to) then why are agency providers suddenly safe enough to have 6 under 6 because of a half-hour once-a-month inspection? Further, if 5 under 6 is safe, then how is it at ALL safe to have 12?? With 2 providers, are they really never going to have one run to the bathroom for a minute, etc, and leave the other provider with 12 children? There is no way for that to actually be safe. Not to mention one provider's house would get destroyed daily, and the other's wouldn't be touched. So not fair, lol.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrazyEight For This Useful Post:

Commercial daycare insurance could work on this case. Since the income potentially could be higher providers with this model could pay more for insurance.

The issue could be with zoning. My house and most residential houses allowed to have home daycare can have no more than 5 kids.

City inspectors came a few months ago to inspect my house to make sure I did not have more kids than what it was allowed due to zoning (and also to check for safety, they said). One of the inspectors at the end of the visit commented that I could apply to have more children in the premises and to call him to learn more about the process if I were interested. They did not looked to be up to date with Ministry of Education numbers.

Expansive...
    They have this in Manitoba, it is called a licensed group daycare. But there are stringent regulations that must be met in order to be allowed a group daycare - especially in regards to fire codes. It isn't just a regular home with two providers. I am sure the rules would be similar in Ontario.