Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Question How much to charge as a deposit...

I have been contacted by a new mom, child will be 1 in April 2012, wanting to know about space availability for that time. She says that she would be willing to start her a month or two early to ensure her a space in the day home.

My question is how much should I charge as a deposit to hold the space for her daughter? I do have availability that could be held, I just don't know how much is a fair amount. Would a half to full months fees be reasonable as it is four to six months she is needing me to hold a space?

Any input you have would be welcome, I'm stuck on this one!!

Euphoric !
    Usually I offer the mom two choices - one is to pay half my regular fee to hold or to take their chances and confirm two months ahead. The problem with holding is what if next week you got a call from a parent wanting a space in the next month. Are you really going to say sorry I am saving for next to nil income for 6 months and hoping the mom doesn't change her mind in that time. Whatever you do make sure the contract says non refundable. Then if she changes her mind you get to keep what has been paid. If you change your mind you have to give it back though.

I probably would tell the mom to contact me again in January and at that time set up when she wanted to start the child and ask for a fee from Jan till then.

That far in advance, I usually say I need a 2-week non-refundable deposit, PLUS $200 each month for the missed income (that I could potentially have).

Outgoing
    My deposit/holding fee is also $200.00 ...non refundable, per month. It doesn't make up for the loss of income of having a full time child, but it's at least something.

I'd never go for this, unless it was an open space that couldn't be filled. I charge a rate per month, a small percentage of the monthly fee for sure.

I had another mom today ask if I were able to hold a space for her until Dec.01...I told her it would be $200 for the month to hold the space, non-refundable and did NOT go towards Dec. fees, she was perfectly ok with it...after some parents being so funny with what I'm charging , which is within the average for my area, I was pleasantly surprised

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MunchkinMinder For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    The longest that I will do a deposit for care is one month. I have not actually had to charge one yet, since most of my clientele interviewed and started within a week or two.
    I would not hold a spot that long, unless I really didn't need the income and it was just extra. And I am not filling my "extra" spots at this time!