Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tidy up Treat

Outgoing

Tidy up Treat

Quick question: Do you think it's ok if dcks get a tiny treat for cleaning up at end of day? Last week i promised them one soft toddler fruit snack (size of a dime) and I've never seen the room cleaned up so fast in my life.

Euphoric !
    Doing so implies that if a child decides to skip the treat on any given day then they are not required to help clean up. And, it would only take a week or so before the treat is no longer novel and exciting and the smart kids will soon make the connection that they can sit back and let everyone else tidy up for their treat.

Euphoric !
    I praise the kids tons while they're cleaning up and call out their names individually e.g. "I really like how anna is cleaning up," "way to go bobbie" etc. Also, clean up times are always before we do something they look forward to e.g. snack, lunch, going outside etc. I don't move on to the next activity until things are tidied up.

Expansive...
    I praise individually as well !!! I used to have a sticker reward system , busy bees and they would get a special sticker for being an awesome helper !! They loved it !! I had a few who would stand around and then pitch a fit when the stickers were awarded so I stopped and just started praising the clean up helpers and they seem to really love that !

Outgoing
    AHHH....NO....Kids play with the toys....kids clean up the toys!

Euphoric !
    I praise them when they clean up and encourage all of them, even the little ones, to clean up throughout the day. When they are done with a toy, especially a book!, it needs to be put away. The toys don't always get put away when they are finished but that is okay because we clean up before transitioning to our next activity.

I wouldn't give a treat all the time but I don't think once in awhile would hurt. Heck, I treat myself when I clean the house!! LOL

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    All great advice. Thanks all!

Euphoric !
    The treat was that they got to play with the toys .... Now clean them up!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I personally don't give treats or incentives that are food based but clean up and following my directions is not optional and will never result in a treat or reward. It's merely expected.

But the subjects of food based rewards is something I feel strongly shouldn't ever be used.

To my Mum, a "treat" always = food. A slice of cake or some other food related item which essentially was known as having no nutritional benefit. My sister and I both have horrible relationships with food and sugar and it wasn't until taking a psychology degree that the penny dropped.

Reward is fantastic and a wonderful motivator for children. Personally I don't feel it should ever be food based and if it is, fruit or strawberry never a sugary based manufactured food item with zero benefits in eating. That association with "deserving" a reward and association of that being food based, is one of the hardest ones to break.

How about rewarding with a particular toy/activity/fruit/song vs unhealthy sugary filled food?

Euphoric !
    I agree about food based rewards and also have food issues. However, once in awhile is okay IMO because I believe it's all about balance. If a child is never allowed a treat, they have the potential to go overboard when they can choose for themselves because they were never taught boundaries and self control. I do agree though that treats should be as healthy as can be as often as can be! But one fruit snack once in awhile isn't going to kill them, IMO of course!