Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bulldozer

Starting to feel at home...

Bulldozer

GRRRR. I have an almost 16 month old whom is a walking disaster in every term of the word. More recently, I have two 11 month old (darn Bill 10 is going to affect me!) who she trys to hug all of the time. The end result is her always her knocking them back onto their heads and laying on them. Not only that though, she is constantly running into walls, tripping over her feet, bumping into things, and so forth. But wait, that is not all. I do not know if it is just me, but I think that at the 16 month mark, they should recognize and listen to 'NO'. No, she does not. She will actually do things more if you tell her not to. I have talked to the mom and her lack of understanding/ignoring 'no', 'stop', 'out', 'dont', 'off', but her mom thinks that it is to early. When my husband comes home in the evening for the last hour that I am open, he listens to me. Yesterday, he asked if that is what I do all day, is follow her around telling her things not to do. I have tried positive reinforcement and attention redirection. Any suggestions? Am I asking to much from a 16 month old?

Euphoric !
    What is she doing that you're saying "no" all the time for?

I dont only use no. I use other words as well. But here are some examples from this morning:

Sitting on the babies backs when they are crawling (also use OFF)
    Throwing food (also use stop)
    Screeching (also use stop, all done)
    Taking bins and dumping them
    Hugging children until they fall backwards
    Taking pacifiers from the babies
    Trying to stick toys into others mouths
    Poking childrens eyes

Oh geez, that is some from this morning. I understand that she is little, and most of these bahaviours are normal and expected. But I feel like when I tell her to stop, no, ect that there should be some sort of acknowledgment. Again, I dont know if it is just me and I have been lucky in the past and with my own.

Expansive...
    I've stopped using "No" and "stop" and for the ones that don't get it(or pretend they don't get it LOL)- I clap my hands really loud several times, and they turn around very quickly. I then scoop them up quickly and remove them from the situation, before it gets any worse. I try to phrase it in the positive-tell them what you want them to do-ie. hands down/food on the tray/gentle touches etc.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy ECE mommy For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I remove and redirect but I am also more direct e.g. they throw food they get one warning then their plate gets taken a way. Screeching, I tell them "inside voice" once, then they get placed in the hallway a way from their audience and I let them screech until their throat is sore/they get bored (usually only have to do this once). If they are being really problematic and I am not free, I put them in their highchair until I am free to redirect. I teach them in the moment how to act e.g. "use your words" etc etc

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    For most toddlers no is meaningless...as is stop. Stop telling the child what NOT to do and start telling the child WHAT to do. "No" should be used on a limited basis. Hands down. hands to your self, find another toy, back up and give so-and-so space, sit down, stand up etc are all better messages as it gives the child info as to what you want them to do. Doesn't mean they will get it right away or respond how you want them to (they are toddlers) but kids are very very quick to tune out the word 'no'.

If the child is constantly waling into things and fall over etc...suggest the parents have vision and ears checked out to rule out any larger problem.

I am doing the same. Expect for me, I sound more like:

(while picking her up, to remove her from sitting on the babies backs)
    No DCG, we dont sit on people. We need to be gentle.

OR

Off DCG. That is not where we sit.

But the second I put her down, she runs back to do the same behavior over. I have resorted to separating her to her highchair for a 'time out' because when she gets worked up she is either hurting herself or her friends.

I have talked to her mom about possibly checking her ears for two reasons. 1. She is not listening at all or acknowledging what I say. 2. She is very clumsy. She will be walking straight and drift off and bump straight into the wall. Or randomly trip over her feet. I cant help to think that it may have to do with coordination.

Expansive...
    Is there any way you can separate the crawlers form her at certain times in the day?
    also I try to position myself well to see all the children and step in before something happens
    I know it's hard as I take care of 4 children under the age of 3 years so it has it's busy times the high chair or a stroller is always good to have as a time out at this age
    Good Luck - it is good to get feed back form your hubby

Expansive...
    16 months is still pretty young , at this age it's redirect ! Redirect ! Redirect ! I would keep close by walkers vs crawlers anyway . This age group is so exhausting ( which is why I've only ever taken one this young mixed in my 2-3 to 4 yr olds )

My daughter was a total gong show. Always banging into stuff and falling. We figured it was because she was so engrossed in what she was doing and after a growth spurt...forgot where her head ended. LOL

This little girl sounds like an energetic kiddo that really wants to interact with the babies. She needs lessons in how and the redirection plan suggested by the comments above is perfect. But man, does it take patience and repetition before it sticks sometimes.

Although my girl is no longer clutzy, she still tries to 'hug' the cat. We keep reminding her about gentle hands and every day it gets better. The cat seems to tolerate. Hopefully your babies will too.

Chin up I feel for you!