Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Pregnant and need to tell my daycare families!

Hi everyone!
    I am pregnant and approaching the end of my first trimester. I have been anxious to tell my daycare families, as they are all close friends of mine, or have become close friends over the years now. I will finally be able to tell them next week and I am trying to think of the best way to do it...
    I know this will be a hard transition for them, despite being happy for me. It will be stressful for some of them, as I have had their children here since they were 1 year old. Now they are 3 and by the time I am due, it is just a few months before they will be heading to kindergarten. Basically some of them will have to find a new daycare just for 4 months.
    I have 3 questions.
    1. What's the best way to tell them?
    2. I am trying to pick a closing date for my daycare, well in advance, so that my families know when they need to get alternate childcare. I am thinking about a month before my due date. If you've been in this situation, what did you do?
    3. Is it overstepping my boundaries to research some daycares myself, to try to suggest alternatives for them? I want to help them as much as I can, to lessen their stress in this situation.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Euphoric !
    I haven't had to do this but I would be hesitant in telling my families too early for fear of them leaving. As you said, some of them will need new care for only 4 months before starting kindergarten. Who's to say they may find a great preschool available in Jan and leave you not because they are trying to screw you over but they need to think what is best for their child. You will be out the money then.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by LizzyGrant View Post
    I have 3 questions.
    1. What's the best way to tell them?
    2. I am trying to pick a closing date for my daycare, well in advance, so that my families know when they need to get alternate childcare. I am thinking about a month before my due date. If you've been in this situation, what did you do?
    3. Is it overstepping my boundaries to research some daycares myself, to try to suggest alternatives for them? I want to help them as much as I can, to lessen their stress in this situation.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Congratulations.

With any change that is not in our control, I think information is key. Your clients will have questions and concerns and so try and consider what they might be so when you share your news, you are able to answer their questions.

1. In person. They are going to have questions and want reassurances. You can always follow it up by e-mail once you've spoken to them all.

2. I haven't been in this situation but would consider how well your health was in previous pregnancy's, how much carrying you need to do with your current client based (ages and layout of your house will affect this). If you are expecting things to be smooth, then a month is fair. Personally, if you are able to afford it, I would consider adding that if they find alternative care sooner than you close date, that you fully understand if they leave sooner.

As you said, with many only needing care for a few months, that might be very hard to find. I know I don't take short term clients and certainly wouldn't if it meant it would open up at the beginning of the school year when many carer's were fighting over a few incoming children and there were lots of day care places open. Expect that once you inform your client base, some will start looking now, and hand you notice as soon as they find a new carer.

If I had an opening now, I'd be more likely to consider a short-term placement until September if they joined in January which gives me 10 months income. There's no way I'd take a child May/June knowing they were leaving in September. I'd rather hold off for a younger one who will remain longer than put myself in the September chaos knowingly.

3. No, I too have done the same when letting someone go. It takes the sting out a bit and lessens the panic of the parent to know other carer's are around, who have places. I've even spoken with local carer's in advance to explain the situation and see if they'd be willing to consider a child I was letting go. (Not the non-paying clients of course but those who need longer hours/earlier starts/a second place for a new sibling). I think, if in the follow up e-mail you were able to provide the names of a few local providers and their contact information, that is professional.
    Last edited by Rachael; 11-18-2014 at 06:34 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachael For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Thank you both for your responses. I am a bit worried about my daycare parents leaving me early. But I trust that they won't, unless they absolutely have to. And that I just have to be understanding about. I was thinking of waiting a bit longer to tell them, but in all honesty I am already starting to show a bit so they are going to suspect something if they haven't already.
    Thanks for all of your advice!

Euphoric !
    Are you shutting down completely ?

Shy
    Yes I am! I will likely re-open but am hoping to take 8 months-a year off to just enjoy!

Expansive...
    When to tell parents really depends a lot on your financial situation. If you can afford to lose some clients way before you are actually due, then you could tell them whenever. If you want to hang onto them a little longer, then hold off. I lost a client whom I didn't expect would leave so soon only a few weeks after I announced my pregnancy. And I only closed for one month. If you are planning on going on mat leave for a bit then parents WILL start looking ASAP...

Expansive...
    I have also called around to check on a few daycares in my area and also was able to talk with the caregiver about the best time for the child to move on and the parents were pleased to know a spot was held for her by a certain date and it took the worry out of the move for them and me

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Van For This Useful Post: