Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sick kids

Euphoric !

Sick kids

I had a scary situation today when one of my DCK's suddenly spiked a fever of 41.5 (106!) He went from kind of crabby to really out of it very quickly. When I felt him he was burning up. Pretty scary. Mom and dad gave me permission to administer tylenol, picked him up immediately and brought him to the Dr. From what I read, seizures can happen at that temp. The Tylenol brought his fever down by the time he was at the Dr, although he still had one. Just told to have him rest and keep an eye on him. Glad he's OK.

Expansive...
    Very scary! My son had a febrile seizure at 15 months due to 105 fever that we couldn't get down, because he kept vomitting up the meds. Lukily the seizure happened in the emergency room. They couldn't find a cause for the fever at the time, but 3 days later the roseola rash emerged. Be on the lookout for that. Google the pics for roseola so you know what to look for.

Outgoing
    When I first opened I had a little girl prone to seizures if her temp spiked. Very scary, didn't happen often and thankfully, as the hospital said would likely happen, she grew out of them aged about 2.

Euphoric !
    Yikes, that is scary! Glad it turned out well!

When I nanny'ed for a family, their youngest would get febrile seizures. Thankfully it never happened in my care but it did happen while I knew them. They had to call the ambulance and everything. Pretty scary for the little guy too!!

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy ECE mommy View Post
    Very scary! My son had a febrile seizure at 15 months due to 105 fever that we couldn't get down, because he kept vomitting up the meds. Lukily the seizure happened in the emergency room. They couldn't find a cause for the fever at the time, but 3 days later the roseola rash emerged. Be on the lookout for that. Google the pics for roseola so you know what to look for.
    My daughter had roseola, it was awful! She couldn't sleep she was so uncomfortable

Starting to feel at home...
    My niece suffered from febrile fevers. We lost her during a seizure spike in a bathtub.
    As I am now naturally hyper sensitive, I spoke to a Children's Hospital Nurse and armed myself with info. In general: If the child is past two with no previous history, it is unlikely they will suffer a febrile seizure. The markers for the seizure isn't that the temperature gets so high, but rather how fast it spikes. A fever in general is a good thing as it is the body's way of 'cooking' the bad bugs.
    Hope this helps. That said, anytime my daughter gets a fever I get nervous. I can't imagine how a caregiver feels.
    TorontoKids, you did great! If you are ever REALLY scared, call for an ambulance. As a parent, I would rather the safe than sorry.