Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Winter trips to bus stop

Come January i will have 4 DCK's ages 3, 3, 2 and 1. and my own daughter who we have to get to and from the bus daily. I don't know how we will be able to make the trek in bad weather. anyone have experience with this. As we all know the day will come that i can't push the stroller through the white stuff. do you use a toboggan? I feel like if i get the 3 year olds to walk it may take 5 years to get to the bus....
    My idea was getting a 3 person sled they sell one at Canadia Tire for $13 (its actually supposed to be for dragging your hunting game out of the woods lol ) and putting the baby in a front carrier.....

Outgoing
    I have experience with this, i take my kids to the bus every day. Last year it was just my son so on the really cold days he would get driven by a friend who had to drive her own son and i wouldn't have to go out at all. This year it's both kids and i don't think she will be able to help me out. Depending on how far you have to go or how deep the snow is, a stroller with a plastic cover might work, even with just a little bit of snow. I know people who use toboggans for the little kids and the older kids walk. I know they take forever (sorry lol) but it's easiest for you. I would be hesitant to put the little one in a carrier, because if you slipped and fell, you and the babe would be hurt. (this is personal experience- i fell with my son in the carrier when he was facing forward when he was 9 months old. I landed on all fours but he hit his head- got a minor Hairline skull fracture but he was ok, healed in a month).

Expansive...
    Sounds like an excellent idea !!! Although it might be soo heavy !!! Around here people are supposed to keep the sidewalks clear !! It's only the rare one that's not done , the problem is that the space gets narrower !! Lol

monkey princess that must have been scary for you thanks for the tip though i would especially hate to hurt someone else's child... and people are legally supposed to clear sidewalks here too but they are hit and miss. we don't travel on a busy street though so i could always walk in the road if i had to.

Expansive...
    Did this last winter with the same aged kids. The younger 2 went in the wagon and the older ones all walked. I just made sure to take into consideration the length of time it would take to walk with the kids. By the middle of winter I literally had to drag the wagon though the snow if they hadn't plowed. By January there was really no sidewalk across from my house, the city used it to make a snow pile for some reason. I think I tries a sled once or twice but didn't find it much easier, and then I had nothing for the older kids to hold onto (they all held onto the wagon).

Honestly, it was really awful and I termed my two school age daycare kids because I wasn't willing to do it again this year. No matter what I did it wasn't easy with all the kids, and I felt so bad some days taking them out in the freezing cold.

Luckily this year my daughter is in school and the bus stops right in front of our house so I don't have to take anyone outside.

Shy
    UGGGH! that dreaded white stuff! the worst is when it all begins to melt and get slushy and then freezes back over. My own children are in grades 2 & 5, so I have been doing school runs for years and know the struggle.

I use a runabout, the big wheels make it a bit easier to get through the snow. After a new snowfall I leave for school runs 20-30minutes earlier then usual just in case, I have the weather guard so the kids aren't exposed to the elements. It was a big investment, but soo worth it in the winter. Ive used an ice fishing sled as well but I find it gets really heavy, we walk up hill both ways. And its nearly impossible if the roads have been cleared, or if any neighbors have shoveled and salted.

Outgoing
    Not easy. I have done this in past and found that if i get stuck in the snow with a stroller its easier to pull it out rather than pushing.

Outgoing
    I have to get my daughter after school each day with a 3 year old, two 2 year olds, and two 1 year olds. I love my Choo Choo wagon but I knew it wouldn't work it the snow. So my husband did something to connect 2 big red wagons together, the kind that have real air filled tires, not plastic. It's heavy, but seems like it will work.

get an ice fishing sled they are wider with higher edges so they dont tip

You all are making me thank my lucky stars I live in BC's lower Mainland. The few days we get snow the world practically screeches to a halt. Not a lot of snow...not a lot of snowplows and salters. Plus a bunch of drivers that have zero idea how to drive in the white stuff.

You are all super tough ladies!