Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Picky Eater

k8who

Picky Eater

Dcg is so so picky I just don't know what to do. I cook all their lunches and it's always things my kids love. Dcg doesn't even TOUCH it and cries and walks away from the table and I can't even get her to sit back down. It's so disruptive and it's making lunch time a bit of a nightmare. She does ok with snack (which always consists of fruit, veggies, protein, and a carb) she will eat the fruit and maybe pick at some other bits. I know a hungry child will never starve with food in front of them but it's the disruption that is a challenge and now the other kids are starting to follow suit. We always have nap time right after lunch and because lunch is becoming such a nightmare nap time is pretty chaotic too now... What to do :/

Starting to feel at home...
    I feel your pain but in my case it was my own daughter.....so stressful. i would suggest giving her just a small portion of what you're serving. like literally 1 pea, 1 carrot etc. too much on the plate can make the child feel overwhelmed and stressed. I would also talk to the parents and let them know that you're offering healthy balanced meals and you encourage her to eat but cannot force her.
    I have in the past implemented a "no thank you bite" if they want more bread then they need to have at least a lick of all other foods. best of luck!!!

Euphoric !
    Don't know how old DCG is but my rule is they eat what is served and they don't get anything else. They also need to stay at the table until all their friends are done. I have seat belts on chairs for the little ones that have a hard time getting that rule in the beginning and older kids are redirected to sit down. We do stories and milk after lunch so I pick the stories of kids that listened well (they each pick a book they'd like me to read). The kids that need to continually be redirected don't get their story picked.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I do exactly what torontokids does. I don't ever serve bread and butter or a filler food. Lunch is a protein, veg and a starch, eat it or don't eat it, but that's what lunch is.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachael For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I was and still am a picky eater. It can be stressful when you go to someone's home for a meal and there isn't much offered that you like. As an adult, I am obviously capable of managing to swallow some stuff down so I don't offend the host/hostess but there are times I will just pretend I'm not that hungry if it something I REALLY don't like lol. Imagine being a child though and having this issue.

I think sometimes kids get labelled "picky" when in reality they have just learned that mom or dad will cave in and give them what they like but I do believe in some situations, the child really doesn't like or can't eat the food. I have texture issues myself so I try to be aware and understanding of that when it comes to children.

I never want meal time to be stressful as I don't want to be the one responsible for creating a food issue with a child. This doesn't mean that I'm a restaurant though!! I cook one meal and that is what is served. However, if I see or know a child really, really doesn't or can't eat a specific food, I will make sure that there are things served with it that I know they like. I would never want to go to bed hungry and I don't want that for the children in my care either. Dessert at lunch is always a fruit and thankfully I have never had a child not like fruit so at least they would get something in their tummy before bedtime. I'm also not overly strict with my menu...if I'm serving raspberries for dessert today but I know xxx doesn't like them, I will give xxx apples. I have never had an issue with a child noticing this and asking for apples. Even if they did, I would explain that they like raspberries but xxx prefers apples. Not the end of the world in my books to do this or to explain it to the children.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I try to serve a menu that everyone likes as well 5 lm ! I do not cater but I do not think it makes for a great day if I have hungry , cranky kids !!
    I have 2 dcks that hate fruit and I just omit it from their plate . I will try different fruits and yogurt dip and try them every once in a while but I do not force any child to eat .
    All my dcp do not insist their child finish their plate and do I don't either .
    I try to make my menus tasty and nutritious and let them decide if they are done , once they are done we wash hands and they are allowed to go play . I do not make everyone sit and wait until everyone is done , for my group this works as the first finished gets the first pick of toys !!
    We have our dayhome all on one level so I can feed them , clean up and let them play without having to run upstairs .
    Last edited by Secondtimearound; 11-24-2014 at 07:15 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Secondtimearound For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    We sound alike second!! I also let them go off after they're finished but it's supposed to be books only. The odd little one will grab a toy sometimes. They read books until I've done the dishes and cleaned the kitchen. It works the best for us.

I also don't make them finish their plate anymore. I now realize how important it is for them to know when their tummy is full and to know when to stop eating. I was made to finish my food and I think it's one of the reasons I have weight issues. I didn't get a chance to learn how to stop eating once I wAs full because I had to keep eating until my plate was empty.

Ugh!!!! No wonder so many have food issues! Lol. There's just so many different approaches to dealing with it

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I have this girl. Picky eating is when you eat most things and don't like some. The girl I have is a junk food eater. I would serve and she would just sit there. It got bad because she was disruptive. I even removed her from the table. This is what she eats
    Anything junk, loves fruit snacks, strawberries, applesauce, fries from mcdonalds, and anything junk. But it's her parents. My girls said that they have nothing healthy in their house (they are very well off too) so money isn't a issue. She sets nothing for breakfast unless I make a chocochip waffle. I've complained, nothing. They don't care. The worst is that dcg is pale, hair is thin, and mouth full of cavities. I get the excuse" I was a picky child" it's not picky it's called unhealthy eating. Dcg is in jk.

Expansive...
    My mom struggled with her weight abit when I was young so she was pretty strict with my sisters and I . I was a size 2 when I got married and I was preggers non stop after that lol !! I had 3 in 2.5 years and I loved eating !!! So I gained weight then , I'm not heavy now but I work on it so I'm careful with my dd in a different way !! 80/20 clean eating , when she was younger I was very strict with her diet and then realized she has to have a balance !!
    Mom of nerds I had a dcg who ate the same way !! Processed junk food only !! She hated my lunches !! Her mom would send her a lunch and I would cringe !! She would have so many empty carbs !!! Ugh I tried to broach the subject of healthy eating and the mom just didn't understand .
    Other differences emerged and I termed .

Outgoing
    What makes me mad is that I get her eating and then it's like the parents sabotage it. This summer Dcg was eating watermelon and peaches and then it stopped, again parents didn't want to deal with it because it's messy. Instead of making breaks now, the parents tell me that she doesn't eat breaks, which is weird because at my house I make cereal, waffles, muffins and she will eat it.