Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Part Time Contract

I was wondering about the payment wording for a part time contract. I have been lucky so far with full time kids, but I've been down to two children for the past six months now. I was able to get another child but only part time (3 days/wk). So, my question is this...how can I word my contract so that it doesn't sound like a drop in centre. I had this problem before about 6 years ago, and the client really took advantage of the pay as you go. I certainly don't want this to happen again. I was thinking of a flat two week payment, but then what if she decides to increase the days to four? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Euphoric !
    When I have had part time, they have set days e.g. Mon, Wed, Fri. I think this is the only way to go about this without running into problems e.g. child being sick on Mon and wants to bring them Tues, switching days so they don't have to pay for a stat etc.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I too would only do set days. I have the same contract for all my children. They all pay two weeks in advance due on the Monday. If Monday isn't their day, then they e-mail it. Easy.

This is a contract between[MY NAME AND ADDRESS] and [NAME OF PARENTS] of [ADDRESS OF PARENTS] who are the parent(s)/legal guardian(s) of [NAME OF CHILD]. The Handbook which further explains policies relating to this business is also considered to be part of this contract.

Payment
    The current daily rate per child for Daycare services is $XX.XX. Your child is registered for
    Daycare services on [DAYS OF CARE] of each week
    , totalling $XXX.XX per week, starting
    week commencing MONDAY [DATE CARE IS CONTRACTED TO START].

Payment is required for all days for which the child is registered regardless of attendance..ETC.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachael For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    If you can help it, I would suggest NOT doing part time. I don't know what your rules are but here, it's just too hard to fill that part time spot when they leave with someone who needs the EXACT same days as the child leaving.

I have 2 part timer's left who share a spot and I just cross my fingers they leave at the same time! Otherwise, I will have to leave that spot open and hope the other one leaves shortly after so that I can just fill it with a full time spot after that.

Right now, I don't necessarily take part time but I filled my last full time spot with a child who comes 4 days a week and pays the regular fee ($32) and the 5th day a week they pay the holiday rate of $22. However, that spot is theirs and if they want to send her the 5th day they can, they just send the extra $10. With my 2 part timer's I can't do that though as they don't have the option to come other days or I would be over my numbers.

Part time is just too much of a hassle and a gamble to my income. It's the only thing I regret about opening up!

Outgoing
    Agreed.

I always take FT children but against my better judgement took a child who comes 4 days a week last January. His Wednesday is STILL empty - although have an interview tomorrow so it might be filled finally. PT'ers always cost lost income. Never again.

I don't even let FT'er drop days if Mom goes on mat leave anymore. Either they keep the FT place they contracted for or they leave completely. Too hard filling their unwanted days esp as in a year they will expect them to be available along with a place for the new sibling.

Euphoric !
    Lol, that's funny....my newest one is also gone most Wednesdays!

I agree, pt is always a loss in income. I'm okay with them paying my holiday fee 1-2x a week but any more than that and I'd hold off for someone who needs more days.

Euphoric !
    Agree, don't do part-time if you don't have to.

What I did when I had part-time is this - mom's schedule was all over the place. then she constantly was switching days. Drove me nuts. I changed my contract so that once I received her schedule (a month in advance) it could not be changed. If she did want to change it then she paid for the extra days. So came Mon, Tues, Wed - wanted to switch Wed for Friday. In that case she would pay for Mon, Tues, Wed, AND Fri. It didn't take long for the switching to stop!! I am not a drop in centre and want to know who I have and when so I can plan accordingly. Luckily they left shortly after and no I only accept full-time!

Expansive...
    Do only set days, and word it very specifically what the days are in the contract. Don't do switching or rotating schedules week to week. Make the part-time rate higher(mine is $5 day higher depending on age group) They pay for regular scheduled days every week regardless if they attend or not. Remember to include stat holidays(if in your contract) if they normally attend that day. I do a 3 day a week minimum attendance. Extra days require extra payment, even if they didn't attend one of their normal days that week.

Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post
    Agree, don't do part-time if you don't have to.

What I did when I had part-time is this - mom's schedule was all over the place. then she constantly was switching days. Drove me nuts. I changed my contract so that once I received her schedule (a month in advance) it could not be changed. If she did want to change it then she paid for the extra days. So came Mon, Tues, Wed - wanted to switch Wed for Friday. In that case she would pay for Mon, Tues, Wed, AND Fri. It didn't take long for the switching to stop!! I am not a drop in centre and want to know who I have and when so I can plan accordingly. Luckily they left shortly after and no I only accept full-time!
    Yes, that's what happened to me a few years ago, and I want to avoid it again. I have two full timers, and am looking for another (full time). It's been really hard finding spots...I don't understand why. I was looking at Kijiji, and everyone wants live in/out nannys. I hope this doesn't last too much longer. I can't survive on just two...that's why I'm taking the part time.

Euphoric !
    be very strict with the part-time contract - get their schedule a month in advance, no changes unless they pay extra for the extra day, no substituting days, all stat days are paid regardless if it falls on their regular attended day or not. Also put in your contract that in the event you find someone needing full-time that their spot could be switched to full-time (giving them first chance at it).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post: