Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Starting to feel at home... little rascals's Avatar
    So I started my dayhome in may. I am private. Does that mean that there are no ate restrictions. I have been following the rules for licensed dayhomes Bc I could not find info on private. Does anyone know what the regulations for private dayhome is in Alberta?

OP, I assume you are in Ontario.

First off, leave the agency. You can do better on your own.

Second, I agree the rules and numbers thing is really STUPID. First off, if you are unlicensed, private home daycare you can have five chlildren PLUS your own. So, technically I could have SIX of my OWN kids and STILL have five dckids???

It doesn't make sense. I know most providers have two children of their own. So, all in all that means that when their own kids were little they actually CARED for and were responsible for SEVEN kids each and every day. But then suddenly when their own kids go off to school they are now only capable of the five max rule??

I hate full day learning. I hate how it has robbed home daycares of the older kids. Now we are stuck with only babies coming off of mat leave that we have, if we are lucky, for a year and a half - MAX- until their moms go back on mat leave with her second child. And, then, by the time that mat leave is over the oldest sibling (the kid we previously had in care) is old enough to go off to school so they find daycare close to their home.

It's insane. I am sooooooo tired of basically now only having babies in care ALL THE TIME. It feels like you just get them transitioned and they are gone. It also means more stress for providers as we are always transitioning a 12 mth old. And we ALL know what goes with that - the screaming, the extra work involved with the wee ones.

I actually see home daycare getting busier. If you look at the centre model the bulk of their money was always made from the older kids as the ratio of provider to child was much lower. But in the baby care it is 1:3. I know centers in Ontario don't make ANY money on the 12-18 mth groups due to staffing ratios. So, in order to survive with mostly younger ones in the daycare and all the older kids in public schools they are gonna have to jack their fees for the younger ones to a level that makes home daycare MUCH more attractive with regard to fees.

Centres are already asking for help from the government in making ends meet. Just read this:

http://www.childcareontario.org/?p=4828