Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Losing my mind....

More of a vent than anything I think....I have had a little dcg here for the last two months and STILL she screams every naptime. She used to scream all day and wouldn't eat for me or sleep at all ( I posted about this before). We have absolutely made progress but naptime we cannot get fixed. She sleeps for half hour maybe 45 minutes ( if I'm lucky) then yells the rest of the time ( off and on...some days more on than off) No tears. No trauma. She stops the second she sees me and says "done". She's just mad! It makes naptime SO stressful. I can't sleep her near the other kids which limits my own movement throughout the house when it's naptime. This will be a big issue when my own children are home for holidays or breaks. Mom tells me she is not being picked up at home if she does this, but I'm starting to question it. The rest of the day, this dcg has become my quietest, happiest, sweetest thing. Naptime just the opposite. I have tried going down in intervals, patting her back and telling her she's ok and to go back to sleep. That only peeves her off MORE! I've tried just leaving her be to cry. ( which honestly is the only thing that keeps me semi-sane). It's not helping. Granted some days she's more off than on with the yelling but it's the same routine daily. Really wears on my nerves and make the rest of the day after nap stressful. aaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuu uuuughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!
    “While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.”

― Angela Schwindt

I would either let her cio and leave the room until nap time is over or I would stay there with her the whole nap time and I will tell her to go to down to sleep and shush her when she is being noisy. Either way I will have her in a separate room where she cannot disturb others. Getting on and off the room is only teaching her that when she cries louder you will come to her. The latest if what I have done with the last 3 kids that have enrolled and have worked very well. It takes some weeks, but they get used to it. Now all kids are sleeping at least 2.5 hrs straight (except my son that has never been a good sleeper, but he gets to sleep around 1.5hr). I even have to wake up some of them. I also keep the room dark and have white noise on.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Artsand crafts For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    You are asking mom the wrong question. Ask her how she handles the child when she wakes from nap - if she even gets one on the weekend or are they out and about. Does mom go in to her right away hence the screaming when you don't come right away or does she leave her for a set period of time to rest (sleep, stare at the ceiling, play with her hands or feet whatever) which is what we do in daycare giving them a 2 hour block of time to decompress.
    Last edited by playfelt; 12-01-2014 at 06:04 PM.

Shy
    yep doing the white noise thing...she is separate from the others for now and I leave her be now to cio. Just ugh. lol
    “While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.”

― Angela Schwindt

Shy
    good point playfelt...I will check in with her on that!

― Angela Schwindt

Euphoric !
    I say leave her in there until nap is over no matter how loud she cries. After a week she will realize you aren't coming to get her.

Euphoric !
    I find hearing kids cry one of the hardest things in the world to do. But in a multi-child care situation, it is IMPERATIVE that everyone gets the rest that they require. Yes, when she is at home with Mummy, she can have a shorter nap, and then if she is cranky Mummy just snuggles/caters. This DOES NOT fly at daycare.
    So I would suggest strongly to Mom that it is easiest if the routine is the same at home and daycare. But from your end, I would just leave her the full 2 hours (or whatever your minimum is). I have had noisy nappers, and almost without fail, they figure out that I am not coming for them until quiet time is over. Even though at home, they "only nap for an hour or so".

k8who
    in the situations where you let DCK's CIO do you worry about neighbours... is that a weird question? I always worry when it feel like my whole house is crying (it only takes 2 screamers or even one to make me feel this way). I guess our houses are all pretty close together in my neighbourhood.

It always gets my heart racing..I hate hearing them CIO (even though I sleep trained both my kids.. its different with they aren't yours).

I always get thinking.. what if a parent comes to pick up their child or the neighbours worry about what is going on in my house. I have one little girls that if not rocked to sleep she SCREAMS "NO!" repetitively at the top of her lungs.. and it sounds like she is being tortured.

Sorry to high jack this post

Euphoric !
    k8who: Luckily neighbors aren't an issue for me. This is also another reason why pickups are not encouraged during nap time.