Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Shy
    with respect to the '2 under 2' rule, what if there are two adult providers on site? My husband and I run a home daycare together, so we're both here. Are we able to have 4 under 2 then? Or would we still need to be 2 under 2?

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by cate View Post
    with respect to the '2 under 2' rule, what if there are two adult providers on site? My husband and I run a home daycare together, so we're both here. Are we able to have 4 under 2 then? Or would we still need to be 2 under 2?
    If it's anything like the rest of the country, the limits are actually per address, not per adult. So 5 children between you, no more than 2 under 2 - NOT 4 under 2 even though there are 2 adults because number of adults is irrelevant.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rachael For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    No matter how many adults are present you can only have 5 daycare children. Under the new rules you will have specific ratios for those 5 and have to include your own preschoolers in that total. If you join a licenced agency some of them may be allowed to do the two caregiver model with additional children but it is still very unclear how that will work and so far even agencies are saying they are not interested in getting involved in that kind of thing.

Outgoing
    Even under the current laws (the DNA) it is 5 children per PREMISES, not per provider. It doesn't matter if there's one provider or five providers - there can be no more than 5 daycare children in care at one time.

Under the new laws, it will continue to be 5 children per premises, with more limits - in your situation, it doesn't matter if you and your husband are there at the same time - you can't have more than 5 at a time, and now any of your own children under 6 will count in that total of 5, with no more than 2 under 2 total, not 2 per provider.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrazyEight For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Well, I am glad I am retiring in another year or so. My husband is retiring next December. I have mostly part time. One is 11 years old, so the age 13 hike will affect me. I have nobody under the age of 2 and most will be 4 by December 2015 and in full time junior kindergarten. I will only have one 3 1/2 year old. My dilemma is...do I bail at the end of December and maybe leave my school kids in the lurch, or finish at the end of August, 2015 and tell my parents to find other arrangements for the school year. I really would like to keep the one 3 1/2 year old until the end of June 2016 (his dad is a teacher) but is it worth it for one kid when my husband is retired? If I decide to wait until December to quit with my husband, I would give parents at least 2 months notice and they can leave as soon as they find alternative arrangements. I am really tired of dropping off and picking up school kids at different schools and in bad weather.

June

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Junelouise View Post
    Well, I am glad I am retiring in another year or so. My husband is retiring next December. I have mostly part time. One is 11 years old, so the age 13 hike will affect me. I have nobody under the age of 2 and most will be 4 by December 2015 and in full time junior kindergarten. I will only have one 3 1/2 year old. My dilemma is...do I bail at the end of December and maybe leave my school kids in the lurch, or finish at the end of August, 2015 and tell my parents to find other arrangements for the school year. I really would like to keep the one 3 1/2 year old until the end of June 2016 (his dad is a teacher) but is it worth it for one kid when my husband is retired? If I decide to wait until December to quit with my husband, I would give parents at least 2 months notice and they can leave as soon as they find alternative arrangements. I am really tired of dropping off and picking up school kids at different schools and in bad weather.

June
    Personally, it sounds like you're done. If you can retire financially then do it! I wouldn't keep just one kid especially if my husband was retired. I would feel like I am missing out and it would make me dread work. My husband wouldn't want kids around all the time if he was retired.

You could always let the B&A kids know you are done end of Aug 2015 so they have ample time to find B&A care. If you want to stay in business then I would get a second or third full time kid. I would also close at the end of the school year (with lot's of ample notice) and the kids can go to day camps for the summer which would be good prep for them anyways going to school in the fall. Enjoy your summer at least!

Euphoric !
    Depends too what your hubby plans to do with his retirement. Is he looking to go to a warmer place for Jan/Feb ie a nice extended vacation in which case you will want the kids gone so you can go too. Is there work that needs doing around the house he will do over the winter meaning you could still finish out the school year. I am assuming the 3 1/2 year old won't go to school till they have turned 4 meaning you have another full year with them. Be sure the parents are ok with the child being on their own for that year as there is no sense in giving up another opportunity only to find parents pull the child to put them into a centre or another larger group.

My hubby retires in March at age 60 (military mandatory age) but is looking for another job for the next 5 years so I am sort of planning my daycare to last another 5 years and then will be assessing it on a year by year basis depending on what he does.

While I can understand how you feel adaycarelady, you are right to say that people will get greedy. I ALWAYS SEE over ratio providers advertising saying right out there for everyone to see that they have 2 adults in the home, and it is okay to take more kids. I post the table that we have for provincial guidelines, and get flamed for pointing it out....

People accuse me of being greedy and a shit disturber, but the truth is the ratios are there for people that don't know their personal limits, and one bad apple makes it bad for everyone.

Shy
    Do before and after school children count for total numbers as well?

Outgoing
    Yes. ANY child under the age of 13 counts in your limit of 5, including your own children up to age 6.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyEight For This Useful Post: