Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    We need to get everyone informed as well. Once every single care provider knows about this bill 10 and that our only hope is Lisa well then everybody will want to help her get in.

A big percentage of the population doesnt follow politics because they dont think it concerns them especially daycare providers who have been running there businesses for decades following the rules and guidelines that made sence.

Hopefully Lisa will get in and keep her word in helping private day care providera get through that black cloud.

Euphoric !
    Here's a link to Lisa's Membership page. It costs $10 to join which buys you the right to vote her in. http://lisa4leader.ca/ I can't remember off the top of my head when the votes have to be in, but it's some time in Feb...mid to end I believe. Will verify and post.

She and Garfield Dunlop have been helping us every step of the way. Without them CICPO wouldn't have gotten into the Legislative process at all. Now we have broad media coverage, had several members at Standing Committee, have had press release from Queen's Park and have a seat at the upcoming meeting about the Regulatory Process. Even Dizzy Lizzy herself flew in secretly to meet with us and other sectors at a pre-election meeting. She had to be secretive knowing that if we'd known she'd be there, we'd have rallied outside the building. But the fact is that she knows we exist and we're not going away. Tomorrow night begins the first function in which Montessori and ICPs discuss joining together in the fight. We have a long way to go, but have made tremendous strides despite the passing of the bill. This isn't over.

http://www.cicpo.ca/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CICPO/?ref=br_tf

https://www.facebook.com/groups/288234071301579/

Euphoric !
    Direct quote received from Lisa MacLeod via email, just now:

"As Leader of the PC Party I will make choice in childcare a priority. As Premier I would repeal Bill 10. "

And there you have it folks.

http://lisa4leader.ca/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Besides the ratios in childcare do you know if she has said anything about the so called sex ed curriculum Liz wants started in September

Euphoric !
    From what I've read, and I will speak to her more about it tomorrow night, is that Kathleen Wynne is maybe taking things a bit too far with our province's children without proper consultation of those who should really be in charge - their parents. This is a highly controversial curriculum which has had widely varied reviews. My personal belief is that, yes, our sex ed curriculum requires updating, but I feel, as does Lisa apparently, that Wynne's taking it too far without giving parents enough input. I believe they're only consulting with one parent from each school. Is that correct? That's what I seem to recall, anyway. Of course, that parent will be hand selected by the Ministry and will obviously be biased toward the curriculum, thereby setting the stage for all our children. Not all parents are comfortable with the curriculum and many of us still believe that a parent should still have the authority to decide when, where and how children learn about sex.

At the very least, there needs to be appropriate consultation. From what I know of Lisa, she believes the power of raising our children should be left to us, the parents. We should not have to wrestle it away from our government simply because they believe they know what's best for OUR families.

I am also a single mom as this is my only income. I have 3 children, 2 being under 6 and this will cripple my ability to provide for my family without taking some sort of serious measure. My thoughts are, I either raise my fees drastically, or if I am unable to do that, I will need to take an evening job as a waitress and miss out on my family life. I sure working until 2am will do wonders for my ability to provide quality care. In what other field would it be acceptable to deny someone the ability to make minimum wage? I have crunched the numbers, and Bill 10 will put me at about $8/hour. Denying the largest section of an industry the ability to work above the poverty line, is NOT a solution to improve quality!

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturallyDaycare View Post
    I am also a single mom as this is my only income. I have 3 children, 2 being under 6 and this will cripple my ability to provide for my family without taking some sort of serious measure. My thoughts are, I either raise my fees drastically, or if I am unable to do that, I will need to take an evening job as a waitress and miss out on my family life. I sure working until 2am will do wonders for my ability to provide quality care. In what other field would it be acceptable to deny someone the ability to make minimum wage? I have crunched the numbers, and Bill 10 will put me at about $8/hour. Denying the largest section of an industry the ability to work above the poverty line, is NOT a solution to improve quality!
    That's what a lot of us in other provinces do. Most provinces already have limits in line with Bill 10 (In NS, our own children count until age 12). But single parents tend to have second businesses or jobs if they have a day home.

I work evenings and weekends as a photographer. Others manage with Scentsy or similar side lines. I don't know any day care provider who is a single parent who DOESN'T have a second source of income because it has to be that way.

cfred I will be at the dinner in Oakville tomorrow night as well. I do NOT intend to give up my ability to make a living without a fight! I love the children in my care and (most of their parents as well, and It will break my heart to have to let some of them go. Having 5 children in your home everyday is a beautiful loving experience no centre could ever top. And I've seen some great ones. Home daycares are part of the core of a strong society and I believe the Liberals are going too far and messing with the lives of our children!

Rachael, there are a lot of variables to consider when comparing province to province. Like how much it costs to license. In Ontario, it's $0 for a centre, and $13 000/year for a home daycare. Age restrictions, number of children in care, just to name a few. Home daycare is hard work and providers deserve to earn minimum wage. Better than minimum wage, even. Anyone who thinks home daycare providers should work for poverty wages, well, I'm not sure how to have a conversation with.

Euphoric !
    Rachael, I know how you feel about our fight, and that's fine. I understand that the ratios they're imposing on us now are what you've had to deal with through your whole daycare career. What I don't understand is how anyone can be ok with it. Why is this a race to the bottom? Personally, I chose this as my course of study for post secondary and, as such, my career. Surely I should have the ability and the right to make a living wage from it, no? I think it's deplorable that the standards are the way they are and that hard working people such and myself, you and every other provider should have to take a second job just to make enough to survive. This is a valid line of work and we should absolutely EXPECT to be treated fairly. If you're comfortable with it, that's totally fine. Many of us are not. Many of us would like to see change. Many of us, myself included, were complacent so long as we were able to stay afloat. But the system was still not a good one...one that respected our work and our rights...we simply had no real reason to complain. Now that they're screwing with that, some of us are taking notice AND taking action...and it's about damned time! I believe, Rachael, that we're worth more than what anyone gives us credit for. It's about time we stood up for ourselves and showed everyone that.

Naturallydaycare.... I won't be able to attend the Oakville event, regrettably. I will be at the Whitby one though....you know....if you're in the neighbourhood My event last night was fantastic and we had a packed house, even with the rotten weather. Our crowd was mainly Montessori and CICPO has officially offered to form an alliance and build a stronger force in numbers. Lisa was fantastic and Julia Munroe (MPP who came to my rally in October) was there as well....and some local politicians. I'm still a little starstruck by Julia...no idea why...just really like her. Have fun at the Oakville event! And bring all these concerns up with Lisa.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast