Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10
    Starting to feel at home...
    How many caregiver's do you think will follow the new rules. 2 under 2, 3 over 2. Most of us, all have children within the age of 12 to 18 months, it's rare that you will receive an inquiry for an older child unless it's a family with 2 siblings returning from mat leave. I will not have that age come January, I will have a child almost 3. There will be lots of parents without childcare who have 12 months old children.

Outgoing
    Exactly....I have refused inquiries for 1 year olds in the last month! No idea where these people are going....The daycare centre in the area has a 6 month waiting at least they said.

Quote Originally Posted by sandylynn View Post
    Exactly....I have refused inquiries for 1 year olds in the last month! No idea where these people are going....The daycare centre in the area has a 6 month waiting at least they said.
    6 month waiting list is short in comparison to many I know of. They say at least 12-18 months. People are getting on the waiting list within a couple of months of conceiving because they are worried they won't get into a centre. The ratios are being changed in centres to "apparently" accommodate the increased need. Not sure how that makes things safer, especially in a sector that notoriously has a higher incident rate than the independent home daycare provider. So much for their licensing keeping the kids safer. Lets just add a few more kids per adult and things will be just fine

Quote Originally Posted by pink View Post
    How many caregiver's do you think will follow the new rules. 2 under 2, 3 over 2. Most of us, all have children within the age of 12 to 18 months, it's rare that you will receive an inquiry for an older child unless it's a family with 2 siblings returning from mat leave. I will not have that age come January, I will have a child almost 3. There will be lots of parents without childcare who have 12 months old children.
    I originally started doing daycare in a city that was saturated with providers. I never really had an issue filling spots as it was highly populated but when I moved to a smaller town, 15,000, it was a different story. There were only 3 providers advertising between dcbear, kijiji and online websites. I know there were about 10 providers or thereabouts through word of mouth. I kid you not I had at least 6 enquiries a week at one point because of the shortage of providers. As a result within a year or so of being here, dcbear had 27 providers advertising if I recall correctly. Upon researching, nearly all of these additions were moms who decided to stay at home because of the difficulty in finding care, let alone good care, and I think this is what will happen when Bill 10 comes in. More and more families will be forced to stay home and to be able to do so financially, they will open their homes as daycares until their children go to school full time. This will help to a point but I worry about how many of those newbies will not know the rules, especially as googling brings up such a mish mash of info which isn't always accurate. This is why licensing is so important.

I would become licensed if it paid. I live in a small community outside Ottawa, if I become licensed with the Municipality of Prescott, Russell they would pay me $29.00 a day. All new clients now are $38.00 a day. When, I lived in Ottawa there was a few agencies Tot Lot, Wee Watch, if Tot Lot was in Limoges, I would make probably the same rate as I charge. This is not about the rates, going off topic a little, become licensed where I live would affect my income. I have noticed that there is a few more caregiver's that have surfaces in the last 6 months. You are absolutely right, they probably don't know the new rules. They are also charging $25.00 per day which drives me absolutely crazy.
    Last edited by pink; 02-26-2015 at 09:50 AM.

I have a question:

I'm reading that children up to age 13 now count into daycare numbers, but the daycare provider's children over 6 don't?

So, for hypothetical example, I could have 2,3,5,10, and 12 year old daycare children plus my own children aged 6, 8, and 10?

Am I understanding that correctly?

Outgoing
    Yes. Once your own kids are 6, they no longer count in your numbers. The example that you gave would be perfectly legal, as you don't have more than 2 under 2, and your dckids up to age 13 are now counting as a spot.

Quote Originally Posted by pink View Post
    I would become licensed if it paid. I live in a small community outside Ottawa, if I become licensed with the Municipality of Prescott, Russell they would pay me $29.00 a day. All new clients now are $38.00 a day. When, I lived in Ottawa there was a few agencies Tot Lot, Wee Watch, if Tot Lot was in Limoges, I would make probably the same rate as I charge. This is not about the rates, going off topic a little, become licensed where I live would affect my income. I have noticed that there is a few more caregiver's that have surfaces in the last 6 months. You are absolutely right, they probably don't know the new rules. They are also charging $25.00 per day which drives me absolutely crazy.
    There is no option to become a licensed individual home daycare provider in the province of Ontario pink so I'm not sure what you are referring too as being with a licensed agency makes you an agency provider but not a licensed one. The agency is the one with the license. I think there needs to be legal licensing for all providers as a means of setting a minimum standard and keeping track of these professionals. I however don't think it should be with an agency and with profit as the number one goal. I'm not saying it should be for free either but with the main objective being to maintain some kind of safety standards and have resources for the providers. Not a simple task setting this up as so many won't be happy with the rules.