Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Outgoing

Bill 10 has passed - law as of Jan. 2016

Just so all Ontario providers are aware, Bill 10 passed in it's Third Reading today. The liberals and the NDP voted in favour of it. Expected, but still disgusting.

It still has to have Royal Assent, which can happen anytime in 2015 apparently, but it will become law as of Jan. 2016 unless something very unexpected happens.

Lisa MacLeod (PC MPP for Nepean-Carleton, and one of our biggest supporters) has said she is planning on bringing forth a Private Member's Bill to amend Bill 10. As of now, we don't know what that is, when it will happen, or if it can do anything to change this. We'll have to wait and see, but as of now, come Jan. 2016, ALL Ontario providers will have to abide by the new restrictions, or face fines of up to $250,000.

To recap, the 3 main changes to Ontario providers will be:

1) Raising the age of a "child" from age 10 to age 13. This means that any children over age 10 that you have in care will now count as one of your 5 allowed children.

2) All providers will have to count their own children under age 6 in their total allotment of 5 children. The LIBs did make one concession in amendments, and have said that providers' own 4 and 5 year olds in FDK WON'T count, but only if the provider has LESS than 2 under 2. So to make your own 4 or 5 year old not count, you can only have ONE under age 2 in care. We also have no idea if that's just while they're in school, or if that also includes PA days, Christmas and Summer break, etc. That will have to be cleared up when they hammer out all the regulations, so stay tuned for more on that in the coming months.

3) All providers will now have to abide by 2 under 2, including provider's own children. If you will have more than 2 children under age 2 after Jan. 2016, you will have to terminate the extras. There has been no mention of a "grace period" (for example, you have 3 under 2 for only a month until someone has a bday or something) so as far as we know, it's a strict 2 under 2 rule.

Any more questions, fire away, there's a few of us here who know WAY too much about this legislation now!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyEight For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Bloody NDP! Guess they really are in bed with the Liberals!

Euphoric !
    Well sorry to hear ladies. I am from Manitoba where private are only allowed 4 (including our own children with only 2 under 2) and licenced are allowed 8 (age restrictions). For myself I think the government should have the same rules for providers all across Canada, the whole things is stupid to me.

I guess one positive note is that they have give a full year's notice to the changes so it isn't like you have to begin terminating immediately. Good luck to you all in making the necessary changes to your businesses.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Thanks mickyc. I think the ratios are a bit strict across the board. Our own safety was nearly impeccable (among the compliant providers). There was one accidental death...one too many....in independent care, 5 in illegal and 2 in daycare centres. We know this model works among the compliant. The short fall was in government oversight. But, alas, changes are coming. Rachael got quite bent out of shape in another thread because we're not happy with these new rules, likening us to spoiled lottery winners who were upset that it wasn't set for life. I guess, I'm just not sure why everyone's in such a race to the bottom. I think the standards need to change across the country, to make this a sustainable living for everyone across the board. It had never even occurred to me that people in other provinces might look at my modest income with envy.....until that particular thread. So aside from being lambasted by a complete and hostile stranger, I'm grateful for the eye opening experience. Daycare needs revamping everywhere. I'd love to see providers collaborate across the country for a standard system for all, that we can actually support ourselves with. With the upcoming federal election, I suspect we may get a chance.

Outgoing
    If this hasn't been through "royal absent " has it passed? Should I be informing families / fee adjustments etc?

Euphoric !
    No, I think Royal Assent is this summer, I believe. The bill won't come into play until Jan 2016. In my mind, it's business as usual for people I have on already as I'm full for at least another 2.5 years. Once this group works its way through, my rates will increase...unless I can maintain the ratios. If it all goes well with my staggered group, I'll remain the same. I guess just gauge your own situation so far as rate increases. I don't have empty spaces sitting, so no increases for me. But, had the bill come into play in September, I would definitely have increased for new clients and onwards. It's not a bad idea to inform parents, especially if you need to let any of them go...gives them time to find something else.
    Last edited by cfred; 01-28-2015 at 06:22 PM.

Starting to feel at home...
    My question is, is it safe to assume that it will pass as is. I want to give my families as much notice as possible because I will have terminate a number of families due to having a bunch of 'puzzled in' part timers.

Euphoric !
    Yes, you can assume that. I doubt there will be any changes. Part timers will likely have a great deal of trouble finding placement in the future. Most providers I've seen have said they'll not take on part time any longer. I went completely full time more than a year ago, so is a non issue for me.

Cfred, will you have to give notice?

Euphoric !
    No, I'm fine. I was worried about it being a Sept start, but since it's January, all my kids will be in range. Everyone will be in range by January 1st, so I'm ok for the next 2-3 years...barring any pregnancies. But so far as I know, at least one client is planning her pregnancy around my availability (sad, I know) and I'd be surprised if the other gave up her space for mat leave. I have 2 already paying full time for mat leave spaces to ensure the new babies have a spot with me. We're going to be fine, indefinitely....unle ss universal daycare comes in...then I'm buggered....unless they let me license.
    Last edited by cfred; 01-28-2015 at 06:23 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast