Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

The Phone Interview

Just wondering what you all ask families over the phone before inviting them for an interview? Also, what kinds of questions do you ask them during the in person interview?

Euphoric !
    I do phone interview. Very telling about person to hear them speak about themselves. Interesting to see if they talk openly and easily or if they seem like have list of question and just give basic answers. I gives idea of how easy they will be to communicate with on trickier issues over time.

I start by asking basics like what they looking for - full time or part time? What hours? This is quick way to see if parent want long hours when I closed or if they want switch around days and be hard to schedule and plan income with. Can end call here if not suiting. No wasted time.

Then I be explaining basic daily routine. This tend to trigger questions. I like when parent insert question because it means they listen not just going uh-huh.

If that go okay, I explain policy like all children need to be here by morning snack. That I not wait around if not showed up. That I not chase on telephone. I explain days off, sick policy things like this. I ask parent if they have question but normally if good match conversation has been two way not just me speaking.

I ask if both work.
    Where both work - location not company so I have idea of how late might be in winter.
    If they have backup for child sickness or my vacation.
    I also try to find out if they are planning more children soon-ish and how long they had their job. Don't ask direct but like to know if they are going to disappear soon on mat leave or if they just beginning new job which maybe they not like after little while. This good information if lots of family interested in places. I like long term family to come not short term.
    There is college near by so I like to find out if either parent is student. When they are, they like to stop care in late May and come back in September but that not good fit for me.

By end of telephone interview I will know if I like them, if their situation is good for me or not really, if they are reasonable about my policy, if they will penny pinch or question everything, if they are on same view about discipline and bad behaviour, if they are committed to being good parent or buddy of their child. Big difference. I also make sure at end of call, I have telephone contact and e-mail. I explain that will not hold places already empty without payment and will keep looking until I have good client and contract with deposit. Until have paper work, I don't believe coming and keep looking.

If I like, then I send e-mail with policies and contract. I ask them to review and if they are okay with what we spoke about and paper work then please let me know in 48 hours so I can arrange in person visit. If I don't like, then I send e-mail thanking for time but don't feel good match of my service and their need at the moment.

In person interview is more quick meet. See day care. See where babies sleep. See layout and cleanings. See quality of toys, maintenance. Meet cat and see that she is gentle and kind. Meet me in person.

I arrange for straight after day care closes. If Mom on mat leave, no reason she can't come then. If Dad needs to come, he better get time off quick. I not doing tour for Mom and then she chitty chatty to Dad and then I need to repeat. What waste of my time. If really need to come in business hours, they must come at nap time. I will not have my babies exposed to strangers. It's not a play date. My current clients are nothing to do with potential clients. It's not show and tell. If they come at nap time they can't see sleep rooms.

I expect child to attend face to face meeting. I want to meet child and see if there is undisclosed issue.

At end of meeting, I thank them for coming out, ask for them to let me know promptly, assure them that if they want to come, at that stage references will be given and a contract and deposit is expected. I also clear that I will continue to interview until I have contract and deposit in hand.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post: