Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Expansive...

For heaven's sake leave the holiday decorations ALONE

How do I get these kids to stop going after holiday decorations?
    its like there is an electromagnet drawing them to breaking them! Things that I did not think could be broken?!?!

Euphoric !
    I don't put up any decorations that the kids can reach. They are like a new toy to them.

Right now my daycare is upstairs while our basement is redone. So no Christmas tree in this house until the 20th (when I have a full week off), then it will be taken down before any kids come on the 29th. I have enough things to worry about lol

Expansive...
    I also keep all decorations out of reach. Our Christmas tree is in an area that the kids don't often go in. I have some christmas stuffed animals and a pair of magic Santa keys (we hang them on the door christmas eve so Santa can use them to get in, since we don't have a chimney) that the kids get to play with.

Euphoric !
    my daycare is in the basement so all Christmas decorations are things that are hung up high. our tree will be on our main floor for our family. I made a giant felt tree and snowman (flat, hangs on the wall) that the kids can decorate/redecorate.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaKDT View Post
    I also keep all decorations out of reach. Our Christmas tree is in an area that the kids don't often go in. I have some christmas stuffed animals and a pair of magic Santa keys (we hang them on the door christmas eve so Santa can use them to get in, since we don't have a chimney) that the kids get to play with.
    The magic santa keys sound like a wonderful idea!

Euphoric !
    My 1,2 and 3 year old dc children actually helped me decorate our tree upstairs and I've decorated the basement with posters, countdown calendar, canvas pics etc but most of them are unreachable. We spend about 1-2 hours upstairs most mornings and they love looking at the tree. The occasional ball gets touched but nothing major. I have a felt tree downstairs with felt decorations that they can decorate over and over so maybe that helps??

When I told the parents about the upstairs tree they were all shocked LOL none of their trees at home have been safe!!

Outgoing
    My day care is on my main level which is open plan. So there has always been a number of items that they may not touch. They can't pull the books from the bookshelves and similar. Maybe because children here have been taught what they can and cannot access, I've never had an issue with the tree or decorations. I few inquiring steps each year and a simple instruction that they may look but not touch, is all it's ever taken.
    My biggest hurdle has always been keeping the damn cat out of it. The children think it's hilarious that she climbs up inside the tree maybe more so because they understand it's a no-go zone and so she's being really naughty.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rachael For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I think this is largely based on what they are used to at home and in the daycare regularly as a few above have mentioned. if they live in an environment where they already know some things are just off limits the Christmas decorations are simply off limits. If they live in a completely child-proof, everything is for them environment then they take so much longer to learn to not touch.

I only have 2 kiddos right now (which of course makes it easier), 21 and 25 months old. They know not to touch the decorations (we are fully decorated)...they are allowed to give the Christmas tree kisses to say hello. While our house is safe we have items throughout they are not allowed to touch...like a wine rack with wine bottles on it (we don't store the really expensive stuff or wine glasses on it right now just in case).

If the kids aren't used to those limitations it would be sooooo much harder to expect them not to touch shiny, colourful decorations! You can try "one finger touch" as it allows them to explore but usually limits the damage they can cause!

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Bee View Post
    I think this is largely based on what they are used to at home and in the daycare regularly as a few above have mentioned. if they live in an environment where they already know some things are just off limits the Christmas decorations are simply off limits. If they live in a completely child-proof, everything is for them environment then they take so much longer to learn to not touch.

I only have 2 kiddos right now (which of course makes it easier), 21 and 25 months old. They know not to touch the decorations (we are fully decorated)...they are allowed to give the Christmas tree kisses to say hello. While our house is safe we have items throughout they are not allowed to touch...like a wine rack with wine bottles on it (we don't store the really expensive stuff or wine glasses on it right now just in case).

If the kids aren't used to those limitations it would be sooooo much harder to expect them not to touch shiny, colourful decorations! You can try "one finger touch" as it allows them to explore but usually limits the damage they can cause!
    There are many things in my home that the kids learn are off limits even though they are technically in reach. My Christmas tree is something that I want to be special for my own family to enjoy, not everything in my house gets to be for the daycare (nor should it be). I don't WANT to have it all accessible all the time.

Euphoric !
    Agree Amanda! I can't wait to get my daycare space done so I can get back downstairs and my family space once again is my family space.