Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

2nd day of Trial

Kubihkbhkibhbljhbjj
    Last edited by Teagansmom; 03-24-2015 at 07:05 PM.

Euphoric !
    Sorry to hear you're having such a tough time. That really stinks

I'm surprised how the judge is reacting. I did my ECE and was never, ever told that I should first call a doctor if I had suspicions of abuse of any kind. We were trained to notify CAS and were taught that we are liable if we fail to do so!

You did the right thing. Let the chips fall where they may and carry on with your business. Once this is behind you for a few weeks, it will seem less all encompassing. Right now you're still in the thick of it.

Breathe and carry on.....and pour a glass of wine.

Euphoric !
    Is this judge even aware of how reporting to CAS works? Is he aware of our duties to report? It is not stated that we have to call a doctor if we suspect abuse/neglect...it is clearly stated that we have to report to CAS. How would you even know what doctor to call? I you do have the children's doctor's info on file it would be for emergencies not to call because of suspicions. That would merely be putting off the responsibility on someone else creating much more chance that the child falls through the cracks.

This is nonsense. I've had to call CAS before with a child in my kindergarten class, it is stressful and scary to report something not knowing if the parents will retaliate. This judge should not be telling you to put it on someone else. As people of trust in caring for vulnerable children it falls on us to contact CAS if we have any suspicions. CAS then determines if they are needed.

I hope you can enjoy the holiday season without this looming over your head.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    . It's very frustrating.
    Last edited by Teagansmom; 03-24-2015 at 06:46 PM.

Euphoric !
    That's absurd....why in the world would any judge think that just "professionals" can make the call to CFS!! Stories like yours are the reason some people don't report when they suspect/know abuse is happening....they are afraid they will end up the "bad guys" and have consequences to face! It sounds like you are strong woman so I know you will get through this but I am sorry it is causing you so much grief in the process!!

That is so sad that the mom is trying to blame you for her choices. We are not responsible for other people's actions, it was her choice to go on meds when pregnant (are antidepressants even allowed to be prescribed when you're pregnant?). To try and make you feel guilty over that is unfair and just plain cruel IMO!!

I would be tempted to say that your mental health was taking a beating over all this all because you thought you were doing the right thing and making a call that you felt was in the best interest of the child.....I know if this happened to me, I definitely would be a mess and this wouldn't be a lie!!

I am so terribly sorry you have to deal with this. I hope it doesn't ruin your holidays!! Take pride in knowing that you did the right thing even though it was a tough decision that came with unfair consequences! I hope you have a great support team behind you!!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I wanted to say exactly what 5LM said, but I had no idea how to say that. So let's just say, I second that.

Expansive...
    Poor you , I feel for you, try and put it away till you have to face this judge then be strong and move on with your life..... and make plans for after the court case like what do you want to do for you so you have something to look forward to after it

Starting to feel at home...
    You did the right thing and are continuing to do the right thing. Painful, but needed. I have no idea why a judge would even suggest those things. CAS does the investigation and makes the call. You are not judge and jury...merely a witness with a duty to report. Kids depends on the adults in their lives to look out for them. You did that. Sleep easy no matter what the verdict is. You made the right decision.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SillyGirl_C For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    must be so stressful! I hope it all goes well