Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Inquiry on what to charge?

I m wondering what you lady's would charge on a monthly bases for a part time shift working schedule? The monthly schedule would look something like this 1 week 7 days. (weekends included) 6 am - 4 pm, week break, 1 week (7 days weekends included), 2pm - 11:30 pm, a week off. I'm not sure if I want to take someone on like this but she is a friend that is a nurse and she needs care for her 1 year old. I have no idea what I would charge her! It's only 2 weeks a month but the hours are so random, not to mention its 2 weekends out of the month and stats if her days fall on a stat. Any input on prices would be appreciated. Just need to do some number crunching and see if it's worth it. Thanks in advance

Outgoing
    I wouldn't take on anyone with that schedule. Is that the only child you would be providing care for or will you have other children with normal hours? I know you said it's only 2 weeks a month, but I would be inclined to charge more than a standard month. Like a premium for being accommodating to crazy hours, if that makes sense.

Euphoric !
    I don't offer care to friends and family very easily so I'd consider that first. I'm also closed stats so wouldn't open for one child. Do those times fit into your work day??

With shift workers, they usually need a nanny or another person (spouse,friend, family member) to help with Childcare. It's not fair of them to think dcp's work 24/7 just because we work from home.

If you do go with this, I'd charge normal rate for days but another $15-20 for evenings because it's a premium service I'd be offering. I didn't open my own business to work double shifts though so I wouldn't even consider doing it.

Shy
    Thanks for the replies I am not taking anymore kids I have a 13 month old and just wanted to make a little extra money ( plus they get along very well). And I know the hours are crazy but she can't find anyone else and I haven't said that I would take him just wanted to get some feedback on what others think to help in my decisions. Used to have a home daycare before having my baby.

Euphoric !
    Don't care for friends children. It leaves room for things to go wrong. It is hard enough to be a caregiver for strangers when you have to discuss difficult topics like suspected developmental delays, behavior issues, parents running late, sending kids home when sick etc. Would you be comfortable telling your friend that you have strong suspicions their child is showing signs of autism? Or that their child has a notable speech delay?

Unless you are willing to terminate your friendship when things get tricky (which they are bound too when caring for an infant/toddler) then you are best to not take this on.

It is really hard on a child, family and friendship to take on this type of 'client' and then realize it isn't manageable and bailing.

Now, if you really need a price then at a minimum I would say that the pay should be at least $50 a day. That would work out to $700 a month. It is off hour care, including weekends and it is 14 days a month. Keep in mind the average full time child is in care for 20 days a month. The weekends add up to almost a full week of care so it is actually 3 weeks of care per month. I personally would charge A LOT more than the $700. I'd be charging a huge premium for giving up my weekends and for working until 11pm.

If you do this I STRONGLY advise a very detailed, thorough contract so there is NO room for misunderstanding.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    This sounds like you'd be her nanny then? Are you doing this in her home or yours? I'd be inclined to ask to do day shifts at your place and the evenings at hers. if you have a spouse who could pick your son up after a play date and take him home for his bedtime routine while you stay at your friends house and do bedtime routine with him.

What do nannies charge where you are? Will you supply food and milk?

Euphoric !
    Personally I wouldn't do it just based on her being a friend. Those hours are crazy too which is my other reason for my answer to be no.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Bon13 View Post
    I m wondering what you lady's would charge on a monthly bases for a part time shift working schedule? The monthly schedule would look something like this 1 week 7 days. (weekends included) 6 am - 4 pm, week break, 1 week (7 days weekends included), 2pm - 11:30 pm, a week off. I'm not sure if I want to take someone on like this but she is a friend that is a nurse and she needs care for her 1 year old. I have no idea what I would charge her! It's only 2 weeks a month but the hours are so random, not to mention its 2 weekends out of the month and stats if her days fall on a stat. Any input on prices would be appreciated. Just need to do some number crunching and see if it's worth it. Thanks in advance
    This person needs a FT place to be available to them. Admittedly, they don't need every day every week but with their changing shifts, they need you to have a place reserved for their child every single day. You can't full their unwanted days with another client and have this one dictate which days are available. This parent would have to pay for a FT place even though they were only attending some days.

I charged based on days reserved anyway - not on attendance.

That said - I don't work weekends, ever, nor do I extend my opening hours. Although this client would get two days off in the week when she works weekends, you won't. Why would you work 7 days a week? Don't undervalue your own family time.

If I was to take on this client, she would be expected to pay for care on all 5 week days regardless of attendance. She would also require an alternative carer for weekends and out-of-hours.

I'm sorry - it's a tough place to be in because it's a friend but you aren't obligated to turn your life upside down and effectively work shifts and weekends for her benefit. And it's naughty that she's asked you to.

This is going to sounds really harsh but shift workers really need to consider these things before they have a family and identify what care is available and if it's viable. They also need to consider making some work changes that fit with the family they have chosen to have. I'm not saying shift workers aren't entitled to have a family too - of course I'm not - I am saying that in choosing a carer or job that requires shifts patterns, then they have to make some sacrifices and not expect their day care providers to fit around their choices.

I see this a lot - here it tends to be nursing staff who marry military and so neither is around but why they decide this is a good time for a family, is beyond me.
    Last edited by Rachael; 01-08-2015 at 11:11 AM.