Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post
    Over the year I make changes to my contract (not giving anyone a new contract unless they are new families). I do not inform any of my current families of any of the changes I am making over the year. They will find out in December when they get the full contract.
    I think this is where the communication is failing on my part.

Do you mean over the year, you identify changes you would like to implement at a future day but you don't actually change the existing contracts or introduce the changes until a set date (December) when the new contract is issued to be read and signed?

If so, that's a whole different situation to changing the contracts throughout the year.

I think you are just identifying changes and updating your own master version of the document not changing the contract as in the legal agreement between two parties?

Starting to feel at home...
    I do exactly the same as you do. Each family has their contract and I have a copy as well. Over the year I make changes to my contract (not giving anyone a new contract unless they are new families). I do not inform any of my current families of any of the changes I am making over the year. They will find out in December when they get the full contract. I do agree that it is confusing to not remember who has what in your contract unless you go dig it out. It is better if everyone is on the same set of rules. I do however give lots of notice of any major changes. I gave my families notice last year in January that my fees were going up as of July 1, 2015 - so a year and a half notice lol. For little things such as increase to late fees etc the 1 month notice is all I give (and my contract states I will give a minimum of one months notice on all changes).
    Thank you for this. I'm glad I'm not completely off-base in how I was doing things. So, I guess the issue was that I didn't have in my contract that I will renew my contract every January?

In all honesty I would just leave it now. Next year just make sure you give a bit more notice of any major changes and make sure your contract states that you will be giving out updated contracts yearly and notice of any major changes will be one month or more. In all reality the next stat day isn't until Feb (in my province anyways) so really that is lots of notice. If they don't like your new policy then they can leave.
    Really? Rachael's post has me all freaked out now.

Is it common practice in your area to not have families pay when they are away?? This is something I don't do. If a family is away they still pay full rate. I did start giving a small reduction of $5 on the days they book for holidays providing I get 1 month's notice. This is a must. No month's notice, no reduction in the fee for your days off.
    I give my families two weeks that they can take off as "vacation days" each year and any other time off must be paid in full. To use them for a week or more off at once requires one month's notice and to use one or two at a time requires two weeks notice. I figure it's a balance between having them pay no matter what, but prevents me from losing 7-8 weeks of income if they take a lot of time off, you know?

Euphoric !
    Rachel: yes that is exactly what I do. during the year I make changes to the master and then everyone gets a new copy at the end of the year. during the year though if someone new starts then they get the updated contract as it is at the time so potentially different rules for everyone.

That is how I understood the original post as well.

flowerchild: don't worry about it. just adjust it next year saying that you will be renewing your contract every January and that any major changes will come into effect 1 month (or whatever you choose) after you give your new contract. If they don't like your new policies they still have enough time to give you proper notice that they are leaving.
    Last edited by mickyc; 01-08-2015 at 01:33 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Rachel: yes that is exactly what I do. during the year I make changes to the master and then everyone gets a new copy at the end of the year. during the year though if someone new starts then they get the updated contract as it is at the time so potentially different rules for everyone.

That is how I understood the original post as well.

flowerchild: don't worry about it. just adjust it next year saying that you will be renewing your contract every January and that any major changes will come into effect 1 month (or whatever you choose) after you give your new contract. If they don't like your new policies they still have enough time to give you proper notice that they are leaving.
    LOL. Phew.

OMG - I was sitting here thinking "how can they change the contracts all through the year and think that's okay".

As said, two counties, separated by a common language. It's not always obvious, is it?

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachael View Post
    I think this is where the communication is failing on my part.

Do you mean over the year, you identify changes you would like to implement at a future day but you don't actually change the existing contracts or introduce the changes until a set date (December) when the new contract is issued to be read and signed?

If so, that's a whole different situation to changing the contracts throughout the year.

I think you are just identifying changes and updating your own master version of the document not changing the contract as in the legal agreement between two parties?
    Yes, that's what I'm doing. Noting changes on the master copy throughout the year and then issuing the new contract at the start of the year.

This is not as bad as it originally seemed then?

Outgoing
    It's fine.

I took your wording literally and thought that you changed your client agreement as and when you wanted and then sent out a new contract confirming them all afterwards.

I don't know how to word it so you understand what I thought you were doing. When you said you were changing the contracts throughout the year, I thought you meant you were literally changing the contracts, adding new conditions and enforcing them and only sending a new contract for signing at the end of the year following a load of changes you introduced through the year.

I now understand that although you said you changed the contracts throughout the year, you really meant you thought about what changes you wanted to introduce, documented them and made several changes policy by issuing new contracts which detailed the changes you'd been thinking about adding.
    Last edited by Rachael; 01-08-2015 at 04:27 PM.