Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Meet & Greet with Lisa MacLeod - NEWMARKET, ON

I'm currently organizing a casual get together that will be attended by Lisa MacLeod (MPP Nepean Carleton) who, together with Education Critic, Garfield Dunlop, has been advocating on behalf of ICPs, Montessori Schools, Daycare Centres and all those seeking amendments to Bill 10 (Childcare Modernization Act). She is now running for head of the PC party and is stopping by Newmarket on her campaign tour.

Lisa will be attending my event on Thursday, January 29th from 4:30pm until 6:30pm at Fion MacCool's and looks forward to meeting childcare and Montessori professionals in the Newmarket/Aurora area. The address is 17315 Leslie Street, Newmarket (right across from the No Frills plaza).

You can RSVP by email at c.a.fredenburgh@gmai l.com by Jan 24th.

Thank you and hope to meet you soon!

Euphoric !
    There are now 30 people confirmed to attend our event in Newmarket. They are traveling from as far away as Uxbridge, Unionville and Toronto. The majority of attendees are representatives from Montessori Schools, some Daycare Centres, a handful of concerned parents and 2....yes 2...ICPs....includin g me. This event is being utilized as a stepping stone to bridge the gap between the different sectors of childcare and early education. These are all people who also have a vested interest in bill 10 and the adverse effects of it. This is an opportunity to network and build a stronger alliance, which they are showing an interest in.

It would be really terrific if some ICPs could find a way to get there and show that we actually care about this. This isn't a rally. No one has to do any work or go to any trouble aside from asking to leave work a little early for one day. It's sitting in a pub with a bunch of other people in our field, listening to Lisa speak, networking and maybe throwing back a pint and some food. Please RSVP if you think you can make it. It would be beneficial for ICPs to have more representation at an event like this.

c.a.fredenburgh@gmai l.com
    (416)985-3906
    Last edited by cfred; 01-13-2015 at 08:12 AM.

I'm going to see what I can do cfred. I'd love to come because I believe in the cause and although I am finishing up in a few months, I still feel like it would be an amazing opportunity and ICP's need to be represented and I still have a voice. The DNA was in place for many many years, so there is every chance this bill will effect my kids who could be having kids themselves in the next 10 years or so and this will most definitely effect them and their plans to have a family. So many people think it won't effect them, but it is so much bigger than any single person in the present moment. It is a 1 1/2 hr drive from my place without traffic so that would be my only concern is that finishing early may turn into parents just finding alternative care for the day which isn't something I can afford right now, but lets see if they can accommodate me on my terms considering it's fighting for them too. I'd love to think I could fill my minivan up with parents too, but unfortunately it seems that still so many families and providers, at least from my area don't seem to care, like it won't effect them or that speaking up is a lost cause. Not sure how to sell this get together to them so any suggestions cfred, feel free to message me.

I actually spoke to a couple providers from my town over the Xmas period and they both explained that they don't want to take more than a couple of kids, don't rely on the income as bill money only extra, and so they didn't care how this plays out because likely it wouldn't effect them too much. I see their point but think it's sad that they don't think beyond their little bubble and how it will effect the industry and anyone thinking of having a family in the foreseeable future. This is like a hobby for them to make some cash while being a stay at home mum, one has 4 kids in school, youngest age 12, so this isn't a career just a convenient way to make some spending money while being able to see their kids off and great them when they get home. That sounds great on the surface but I can not wait to get my identity back beyond being a caregiver.

I'll try and let you know by the end of the week

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I might love you I really, really appreciate you even just saying this. IF you do come, if on your own or with another, there's room in my home if you decide you'd prefer to stay over instead of making the trek home. Either way, we could have that drink we discussed I did email you at Xmas time, but assume you were busy with other things...as we all were. It would be lovely to meet you finally! Let me know if you can work it out and if there's anything I can do on this end to help out.

I am becoming increasingly frustrated with the situation. We have an incredible opportunity to ally with other, more respected sectors, and actually be taken seriously in our own industry. But in all honesty, I'm not sure what I can say to a room full of people, many of whom have traveled a long distance to be here for this event, to convince them that ICPs are worth allying with if none even show up. It's very discouraging. There is a Montessori principal coming from Toronto (about 45 mins away in good traffic - she's coming in rush hour). She's spreading the word to other Montessori schools in Toronto. There are 9 other schools being represented so far, and I anticipate more. Daycare centres are also coming on board. ICPs have almost no representation and that's unbelievable considering how many are being affected and upset by this bill. There will undoubtedly be press there. How do I spin the lack of ICP attendance to them? I believe it will look very, very bad for us if, despite our claims that we want to be considered professionals in a sector of the industry, no one shows up.

All the work is done. It's arranged. All any ICPs need to do is RSVP and show up. That's it. I expect it will even be an enjoyable evening and everyone that I've spoken to is very positive and receptive to meeting us. I know the time of day sucks...I tried for after business hours but the Town beat me to it. To ask to close early for one day really isn't that big of a deal and there's certainly enough time to sort it out. My clients didn't bat an eye and they've cooperated with a number of CICPO event schedule changes. Everything is done. I've looked after all the details. I only need ICPs to show up and represent....have a drink, some food and enjoy some good company.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Actually....let me get hold of Tracy (heading up our side of campaign tour). There may be one closer to you. I'm not sure how big it will be or how much she's spinning Bill 10 and an alliance. Mine has, so far, the largest number of schools and daycares attending and is 100% Bill 10. Let me contact her and find out. I can probably pass her personal contact to you since you don't have FB. Will email you later. And....we should have a phone date again soon

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post: