Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by daycaremommv View Post
    Well I did have a chat with her, and she explained that, her ratios are low, in part because my son needs more one on one care than the others do. Is she blaming me for something?
    I don't think she's blaming you for anything, but she is letting you know that she's keeping the number of children she cares for low and part of the reason for this is so that she can give your child the care he needs. I don't know what type of special needs your child has, but you should be thankful that your provider recognizes his needs and is essentially LIMITING HER OWN INCOME for his benefit.

When I asked her if I could have a spot like them she said no, that they are grandfathered in and she no longer does this type of child care. She asked me why I started making inquires with her other people, and seemed angry. Should she be?
    I can see why she'd be upset. She's given you a letter outlining her policies about the situation and outlining different options. You, in turn, talk to her other clients to essentially check that she's telling you the truth. And then you still try to negotiate something other than she's offering. Not to mention you may have made her other client uncomfortable.

To be honest, I'd be really frustrated with you at this point. I'd feel like you don't appreciate the effort and care I've been giving your son and I'd feel like you don't trust me and that you don't respect me or my business.

When you receive other services (dentist, hairdresser, etc) do you snoop around with their other clients to make sure you're paying the same thing? Do you argue with them about paying missed appointment fees when you change your appointment at the last minute? This is no different.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flowerchild For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Daycaremommy,
    You should sit back and think of all the input and good advises which you received in this forum, understand and learn from it. It's okay to accept that you made a mistake, and saying sorry to your caregiver may help mending the situation. All you need is a mature conversation.
    Just,
    Keep in mind that she keeps low ratio so she could give quality care to the children in her care including your son whom you said has special needs. That is something you should be appreciative about.

Euphoric !
    When caring for a child that needs extra attention whether it is because of special needs, being a young infant, etc. the provider plans her day so that it runs as smoothly as possible. It means having grilled cheese for lunch on the day the baby isn't in care so I don't have to make a special meal for them to eat. It means planning to bake cookies on a day that I only have children that can stand up to the counter and enjoy and on the days a special needs child that doesn't walk is in care we plan to do a sensory experiment that involves a tub on the floor at their level and everyone participating.

When you change your days the curriculum, meals, outings, etc. has to change too and that is very disruptive. What do you say to the child you promised was baking day on Thursday all week only to have Thursday come and have to say sorry child XXX is here so baking is off. Daycare is about being fair to all of the children in care.

Occasionally things will come up such a medical appointments that necessitate changing days but that is when you ask with as much notice as possible - IS IT possible to change days and then respect your provider's answer of sorry not this week I have plans already in place for the daycare that can't be changed. I am gathering from the letter you posted that the frequency of asking for changes was getting out of hand. Your provider is not a drop in centre.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Something else too, which is specific to this case...

You said your provider cares for two children. Your special needs child who is supposed to attend three days a week from 1pm until 4.30pm, and one other child.

The letter which raised all these comments was for two days before Christmas Day. To me, that is also significant. Maybe the other day care child was on vacation and not in day care that week, maybe the other day care child is also part time and wasn't scheduled to be in but regardless, everyone is insanely busy two days before Christmas both personally and at work.

Surely you can see the lack of consideration on asking anyone to change their work schedule on Christmas week!! Everyone plans when they will fit in groceries, visiting people they can't spend the day with, organizing their family day. I don't care if someone works in McDonald's, Day Care or is the top level Exec in some business, to be expected to be available on a day which isn't a contracted work day at anytime is inconvenient particularly if it's short notice. To be expected to do that two day before Christmas is a damn selfish expectation.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachael For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I think something doesn't make sense here. You are scheduled 10.5 hours per week. It seems like you are paying a huge amount for so little hours. When I read your copy of her letter it said adding one day per week would be $650 a week and $650 for full time.

What is it?

Methinks you approached the other client and asked them what they pay and what her schedule is with them. It doesn't make sense you lucked into that info with initiating it.

That is going to get you booted as soon as she replaces you so gear up for a termination.

If you want carte blanche to every day offer the full time rate and save the deal. If you want what you want and want it as a pay as you go deal you aren't going to get it. If you don't like being told no... you won't get a yes on your terms. You will be termed.

Bringing up the other persons arrangement will be vetted out with the other client. She has already done it.
    Home of child care expertise. Child care consultant for home providers, child care centers, and parents. http://daycarewhisperer.com/
    Please join us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/daycare.whisperer

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by daycarewhisperer View Post
    I think something doesn't make sense here. You are scheduled 10.5 hours per week. It seems like you are paying a huge amount for so little hours. When I read your copy of her letter it said adding one day per week would be $650 a week and $650 for full time.

What is it?
    I suspect the $650 for FT/$650 for an extra day a week is a tying error, either by the provider on the letter or by the parent on this thread.

I don't think it's too much though - I, like many, don't offer part-days. If you are coming on any given day, requiring care, I cannot schedule other clients around hourly requirements. It's a full day rate, no matter how long a child is in my home. Also. I would specify the hours that care was contracted. So my current clients, one would be 8.30pm until 4.30pm, another would be 7.30am until 4pm, it really does depend on what we agreed.

Since it seems that this particular carer just has the two clients, then I think it's really smart to specify hours care has been agreed, otherwise, this carer would be tied to the house all morning just in case vs currently having the ability to run errands provided she's back to the day care and available by 1pm.

So, right now, the client might be paying full day rate for the Monday, Wednesday and Friday contracted. The letter says if she wants to add a fourth day on a regular basis, then the fees would be $650 a month for those 4 days a week. That's about right.

Is it unfortunate for the parents that a full day rate is charged when they need so few hours - maybe - but they also have a high-care child, who takes a lot of time, means the carer has to limit the clients she has in order to provide the level of care needed. I think it's reasonable that the full day rate is applied. I would charge it too even without the special needs.

EDIT - I bet the $650 for 4 days and $650 for 5 days might be due to PT rates. We all know that if someone is here 4 days a week the odds of getting someone for one day and the exact same unwanted day are slim. A 4 day a week client is essentially taking a FT place anyway. I bet her fees are structured so she's not financially losing out if someone wants 4 days only.
    Last edited by Rachael; 01-15-2015 at 08:55 AM.