Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Overwhelmed. New daycare. 12m old not right fit

I just opened my daycare last week. I have my own 16m old daughter who's super active. I have one 12m old in my care right now (mom signed up 6m in advance) with a great mom.

Babe can't sit unassisted, stand, crawl (scoots though) can't pull up or cruise furniture, and can't get up from laying down or roll over from back to front, etc. I'm finding her extremely demanding and it's taking away from the joy of the job. She has bouts of crying where she needs to be held off and on. She is on 2 naps and day and though she's napping they are only 40m each, then cries until I go and bring her down. Then she's tired again by 3pm because she didn't nap long enough and has a meltdown. She's a big baby too and the weight is killing me. Where's she's at developmentally is really taking away from my own daughter as well. I'm feeling as though, perhaps this isn't the right fit.

Has anyone been in this situation?
    Last edited by Fireyesblue; 01-11-2015 at 06:59 AM.

try and hang in there. Is this child full time? as most caregivers will tell you, transition is a minimum of two weeks till you and the child get into a groove. Sometimes it is longer. This is a relationship that you are building with this new little one. Sometimes, yes; it could be a bad fit. But from what I'm reading, I think you are still in transition. Hang in there! It will get better

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FunnyFarm For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I agree it's going to take time.

Children come in different sizes, different weights and different abilities. And it can be a vast range but this is a new business to you, a new situation to you 16 month old daughter, a new situation to you in having your own child to care for plus others.

It's at last 2 weeks to transition a new child but this 12 month old won't be the last one you have who is heavy to carry, late to walk, slow to sit unaided. Bottom line, right now, you aren't used to the baby and the baby isn't used to you. But that's the way it goes with every new child so sooner or later, you'll have to work through it.

One day at a time. Gradually the crying and napping will settle then the rest will gradually fall into place. Give it time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachael For This Useful Post:

I agree. Hang in there. Not only are you transition her, you're getting into the groove and getting use to running a daycare. It's not as easy as you think at first and takes a while for you to get into a groove and get to know each child and build a relationship with them.

My most difficult dcb was 11 mth when she started, it took her 9 weeks of constant screaming, it was horrible. I was on this forum every day looking for answers. I gave the family notice and bang! She stopped screaming and was in love with me. Asked for me all the time. I took her back and she's the most amazing little one. I adore her! So hang in there. It will get better

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Polkaroo For This Useful Post: