Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How young

How young

Good afternoon ladies;

Got a question how young do you accept a child in your care.... What is the norm for the age range....

Euphoric !
    The norm around here is 11-13 months as typically most moms get a year off. I've taken as young as 8 months but now I prefer 15-18 months. Usually it's 12 months though unless I'm filling my toddler spots and they tend to be 2-3 yo's. I try not to take 4 yo's if I can as they will be leaving for kindergarten within a year.

Euphoric !
    I have taken 11 months and up. I prefer 18 months and over. I would never consider any baby younger than 11 months.

Outgoing
    The norm around here is 10-13 month but most of the time, it's 12 month old as Mom's return to work.
    Periodically I do see parents looking for a carer for a child as young as 6 months.

Expansive...
    11 months is the youngest for me.

Outgoing
    I just took a 10 month old. But usually I take them between 12 and 18 months.

The norm is one year after a mom's mat leave but it's really whatever you're comfortable with. I take from newborn and up and I've had a six months boy start with me. The youngest iVe had has been a two mth old.

Euphoric !
    In don't take younger then a year old. Someone in here once brought up the risks if having younger then 6 mos with SIDS. Not interested with that liability.

Thank you

I just had a request last week for a 2 month old...I was just unsure if I should accept or not,for I have and do take as young as 6 months.....Was just wondering what most would do....

Thanks again

I've taken as young as 3 months. When I took mat leave for my first we only got 12 weeks so I'm not sure if worrying about rare possibilities of SIDS is worth not taking a child over but more just personal preference of what you are most comfortable with as an individual. Older kids who aren't at risk of SIDS will be at risk of something else. The liability in this job is always going to be high. My 3 month old came to me 5 days a week for over 3 years and was my best child because I pretty much raised her those years and we had a very close bond for such a young age. Easy Peasy to get into a routine from top to bottom.