Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Euphoric !

Potty training thoughts

Hello ladies,

I am looking for thoughts since many of you have much more experience with this potty training business than I.

My daughter is 22months, she's been sitting on the potty for about 4 months just for the sake of being used to it. In the last 2 weeks she has been very keen to sit on it and asks and gets really excited when her little friend here goes on the potty as she gets to go sit too. She also started waking dry most mornings (12-13hr nights) and after many naps (3hrs) and some days can go 4hr stretches dry.

So, I figured with the increased bladder control and the sudden interest now might be her 'prime' training window. Yesterday I put her in panties (the gerber lined ones that absorb a bit). While she had many 'accidents' yesterday everytime she peed she stopped what she was doing, yelled potty and made a run for it (obviously too late). Prior to wearing panties she would sometimes tell me, but would just keep playing and didn't care if she had pooped.

The thick panties have been great as the panties (and her pants and socks) have absorbed everything, she gets soaked but there has yet to be a puddle so I oddly haven't had to wash any floors or furniture (just laundry).

Do I count this as progress and give her a few more days to see if it all clicks?

I ask because despite loving to sit on the potty she totally sees potty time as 'social time' and sits there singing, chatting, laughing and not peeing. It's like she hasn't yet figured out how to tell her body to pee while on the potty and I am not sure how to teach her how to do that. She will ask to go on the potty, sit for 5 min with nothing then go off to play to pee a short time later.

I only have her and a 26 month old so can give more attention to this process if it's worthwhile. The 26month old is fully trained now as well.

Thoughts? I figured it was worthwhile to give her a couple days to see if she progresses, if not then we can wait another month or so and try again.

Outgoing
    Absolutely it's progress.

Learning any new skill is a process. There are good days. There are bad days. What I would say is now that you've begun, please don't get frustrated by a run of bad days and go back. It's a process. When a child starts to learn how to walk, we accept that they will stumbled and fall often as they master this new skill. Even if they sometime fall hard, we never think to stop them from learning with a view of making them crawl until we are ready to try again. Toilet training is the same.

It's a process. It takes practice. Some children learn faster than others. They will stumble as they learn and have an accident.

But going back to diapers is wholly about convenience for the adults and it's never about what's in the best interest ofthe child :-)

I toilet train all my day care babies beginning straight after their second birthday - unless there are clear reasons not to. Doing two at the moment.

Outgoing
    Yep, keep at it. She's getting it.

Outgoing
    you can keep going like that and it'll come......orrrrr.... . I prefer to take off pants and panties (with parent's consent). She's yours, but for others in the future. Peeing on themselves and the floor stops them in their tracks pretty darn fast! It really gets their attention and they really don't like this. I've done about 15 kids or so this way and on average it takes 2-3 days.
    Of course if you have carpets, you may not like this method!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by gcj View Post
    you can keep going like that and it'll come......orrrrr.... . I prefer to take off pants and panties (with parent's consent). She's yours, but for others in the future. Peeing on themselves and the floor stops them in their tracks pretty darn fast! It really gets their attention and they really don't like this. I've done about 15 kids or so this way and on average it takes 2-3 days.
    Of course if you have carpets, you may not like this method!
    Can't do it! Just something about the while naked bum all over my house aspect lol. The little one I take care of did this at home, for like 4 months and mom wanted me to have her naked here but I couldn't do it.

That said, I'm not convinced peeing on the floor would have a different reaction for my daughter then she has right now, peeing with the panties and pants on. She gets soaked, she freezes and stops what she is doing to run to the potty.

I need to get her to make herself pee while on the potty that's the step she is missing. Today she woke after a 2.5hr nap, was dry and she sat on the potty (happily) but didn't pee. About 30min later she peed while playing and ran herself to the potty (too late). I know she could have made her self pee 30 minutes prior when she was on the potty. She just doesn't seem to know how yet. I have no idea how to teach that skill! I tell her to push the pee out and she ends up pushing the potty on the floor (pushing herself into it while sitting on it) I'm not sure what other words to use "push your inner muscles around your bladder to squeeze the pee out?" lol.

Hopefully a few more days and she figures it out. In the very least right now she is getting herself in the habit of stopping what she is doing to run to the potty...it may be right AFTER she pees instead of BEFORE...but it's still a good habit to master!

My big concern is that she seemed to be somewhat ready for this right now...so I started but we go on a 2 week overseas vacation in mid-February! So, if she hasn't fully mastered it all then we'll have to put her in diapers because we won't have any access to laundry and as willing as I am do keep at it now...I'm not willing to have a suitcase full of 2 week old soiled pants and panties...ewwwwwwwww w.

Starting to feel at home...
    VERY interested in this post. Thanks all that are contributing. My kiddo pees on the potty at daycare but still is wet in between. she also refuses to sit on the potty ay home. She is 25mths and I have tried almost everything to encourage...except the naked approach. Is it really that successful? I will take three days pee on the carpet and a cleaning bill over six more months of power plays from a toddler. Sigh.

Euphoric !
    So here we are about 8 weeks later and well no progress!

My daughter is now 24months. She wakes dry in the morning (12-13hrs later), dry after nap (2-4hrs), she is in panties all day but has used the potty maybe a total of like 5times in 2 months! She now holds her pee for 3-4+ hr stretches during the day. When she needs to pee she usually knows right before, gives me that look, yells pee or potty and runs for it...never making it.

She is a very determined, persistent, strong willed, busy child.

I have tried everything, being calm and nice, being firm, rewards, down right bribery. I've sat her on the potty with videos (potty videos, her favorite shows). She does NOT use the potty. I sat her on the potty for 1.5 hrs one day (she hadn't peed in 3hrs when I first sat her on it) she watched her videos with great enthusiasm...when I FINALLY gave up after 1.5hrs she ran off and peed while running down the hall. gahhhhhhhhh

I don't think she has a CLUE HOW to pee. She has everything else figured out but CANNOT or WLL NOT pee on command.

I have no idea how to teach this. She is a very busy child, she is so busy while on the potty, singing, talking, touching everything that I don't think her body relaxes enough to pee (no matter how long she sits or how long it's been since she last peed). It's not like I am making her sit on the potty every 20minutes, she hasn't peed in 3-4hrs there IS pee in her bladder she could squeeze out if she knew how (or wanted to). At times it looks like she is trying (we try to demonstrate how to force pee out - which is hard to do lol).

She KNOWS what the potty is for as her daycare friend uses one here (for a few months) and my daughter watches all the time. She watches myself and my husband use the toilet.

We have the small floor potty and a toilet top potty...she happily sits on both.

SO...do we just keep on going? I no longer tell her to go on the potty...I no longer ask if she needs to go. I do remind her throughout the day "you are in panties, don't pee on the chair" don't pee on the... I think she is listening and not peeing on anything (but she isn't peeing!!!!! She just waits hours and hours and hours then ends up peeing while she runs. Or she pee's during nap and nighttime.

I still use a nap/night diaper because she is NOT a morning person and if we even enter her room first thing after she wakes, well, we all suffer. So we leave her for a good 20-30+ minutes before she is ready for the day to start...and while she is still dry when we enter the room we have to go slowly with the start of the day or she just doesn't cope and the rest of the morning is shot. Some days we can get her onto the potty and she'll pee (a few times) but most days she pees on the way there. I don't believe we'd succeed in forcing her out of bed to make it to the potty to pee until she has started successfully making herself pee on it during the day...because we'd end up with a miserable, half asleep toddler on a potty against her will that still doesn't know HOW to pee.

Thoughts? I've potty trained many kids in my work over the years...I've yet to meet one that even remotely resembles my child!!!!

Euphoric !
    Do you think it's maybe a control thing? Like if you tell me to clean I'm not going too but I'll clean when I want too kinda thing? (I hate cleaning lol)

I wonder if just dropping it would work? Don't remind her, don't mention it. When I change diapers I ask the 2 potty trained kids to go to the washroom but other than that, I don't ask.

Can you maybe put a potty beside her bed? Is it maybe a privacy thing?

Good luck!! Potty training sucks LOL

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    Do you think it's maybe a control thing? Like if you tell me to clean I'm not going too but I'll clean when I want too kinda thing? (I hate cleaning lol)

I wonder if just dropping it would work? Don't remind her, don't mention it. When I change diapers I ask the 2 potty trained kids to go to the washroom but other than that, I don't ask.

Can you maybe put a potty beside her bed? Is it maybe a privacy thing?

Good luck!! Potty training sucks LOL
    Vey valid question but I don't think it is...the only time I ASK her to sit on the potty is when it's been 3-3.5hrs since she last peed and I think maybe she'll pee now. I also only sometimes do this (because it rarely, if ever, results in a pee on the potty!). She sat on the potty once today that is it. I've never made her go try on the potty with any regular frequency...the whole reason I started potty training so young is because she was holding it so long, she showed interest in the potty and my DCG girl was training and my daughter wanted to sit on the potty as well...it all kind of seemed like it was time to try.

As for a potty in her room...she is still in a crib and in a heavy duty sleepsac, with layers of pj's on lol (she has the coldest room in the house). There is no way she could get out of all that to go on her own. She is fully able to pull her own panties and pants up and down but at 24months of age I wouldn't expect her to get out of all the pj layers! We are not looking to move her out of her crib for at least a few more months because she is quite happy in there and she sleeps great in it.

I can't help but think she has no clue HOW to pee. Everything else is in order: holding it for long periods, knowing right before she pees (only a couple seconds before), able to communicate, ability to get her panties/pants up and down on her own. She just doesn't pee on the potty!!!! So as far as I can tell she doesn't yet know how to relax her body enough to pee...or she is messing with me. And yes, she totally has the personality to be messing with me (even if she is only 24months)!!

Starting to feel at home...
    I agree with 5 Little Monkeys - drop it for a bit and see what happens. Whether she's messing with you or just not quite developmentally ready for it, it sounds like it may have become a bit of a game for her. She gets to sit on the potty for hours and get stories read to her and watch movies and has all of Mommy's focus on her whenever she is on the potty...why would she want to pee on the potty and give all that up? She is still young. If you took a break for a bit and started up in a month or two, it might be a smoother process?