Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Clothes too small

Do you have a child you just want to give a makeover too? Heh heh, I am joking but maybe not entirely. I have this one little boy who continuously dresses in clothes that are too small for him. I have brought it up before when his pants were "capri-like" in winter and they started putting him in larger pants. His sweaters etc are so shrunken looking and way too small. Now this one is harder to bring up as he has clothes on underneath so it isn't a warmth issue like the pants. I spoke to mom in general about his clothes e.g. do you have nephews you get hand me downs from because I saw he was wearing a "best little brother" shirt?" (He is an only child). She said yes, they get hand me downs from a few people and never have to buy him clothes. So I know it's not an issue of having the stuff (she said her nephew is 5 now and they have all his clothes).

I also want to take him for a haircut! He still has that fine, wispy baby hair but it is longer and looks stringy. If they just trimmed it up it would look so much better and fuller. Vent over

Expansive...
    I feel ya. For a while I had one dcg always being dressed in jeans that were WAY too tight, so much so the poor kid could hardly walk let alone run jump and play. I also had one who would wear "dresses" that were really meant as shirts in the summer and I eventually started putting shorts on her because it was embarrassing bringing her to the park with her undies hanging out! Now I have a rule that girls wearing dresses MUST wear shorts or tights underneath. Problem solved! Lol I also have one dcg who needs a haircut so bad. She has never had one, her hair is at her mid back but the bottom half of it is so fine and the rest is coming in thick, it would look so nice if she got it trimmed! I was also baffled that when I went to her bday party not too long ago, her hair was a complete mess....I usually throw in a hair tie to keep her bangs out of her eyes but couldn't believe that the parents just don't do anything at all with her hair, not even on her bday.

Bah, at the end of the day some things are just personal preference I know, but it can be hard to sit back and not be able to do anything about it, especially when you see the child is uncomfortable...I just makes you rolls your eyes....

Expansive...
    Yes! I have a dcb that never wears clothes that fit. They are either too small, too big or on backwards or inside out. Last fall he even wore a too small onsie shirt, even though he long since potty trained! He is now 5 years old and sometimes I have him fix his clothes himself, practicing since he is a big boy now (like looking at the tag on his jeans to find the back). It used to really drive me crazy (especially with his bare bum hanging out half the day since his pants won't stay up) but I have mostly given up caring about it. His mom is a single parent and she is very happy that he dresses himself and she doesn't seem to care.

This boy's younger sister is now 2.5 years old and she is trying to dress herself and the cycle is starting all over again with her - too small, bum hanging out, backwards... *sigh*

Euphoric !
    Glad to see I am not the only one.

Oh, my DCB is only 18 mos old so it is the parent's dressing him, he isn't dressing himself yet.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    At pick up today I jokingly asked dad if DCB just had a growth spurt because I noticed how small his hoodie was on him today and I swore it fit him just last week (for the record, it has been too small on him since he started 2.5 mos a go.) Dad agreed that he seems to have had a spurt as some of his pants are too small now too. Hopefully this will be rectified soon...poor kid. I myself hate being in tighter/more restrictive clothing especially with all the running around and playing we do.

Outgoing
    I have one like this. Her hair is super-long, bangs should have been cut 2 months ago, so she can't see a thing; they're always in her eyes. Clothes are always the wrong size - she is small for her age, but she'll be three next month and comes in 12m or 18m clothes! My particular favourite is the t-shirt and tights combo. Not leggings, but actual thin see-through nylon tights, that you'd put on under a dress. Used as pants, with a regular t-shirt, when it's -20 outside! Yes, the kid has snowpants, but she needs something underneath them! And I really hate staring at her diaper showing clear as day through the nylon tights.

I know the family is short on cash (single mom, 2 kids, trying to go back to school) but frankly, if mom would just give up her massive smoking habit, she'd have some money to go to value village or look on yardsale sites and get some used clothes that fit.

Euphoric !
    Oh my....nylons?!? Sheesh!!

I have a 3+ year old who still wears 12-18 month old stuff (heck, in summer, she had 6-9 month old shorts) but it all still fits except for the occasional short pant leg. That only happens when dad dresses her though lol.

Expansive...
    Tights with a tshirt! Yikes! And hair in their eyes has got to be my least favorite!

At this time of year I have also noticed that some kids are getting dry skin especially around their mouths and noses. I've mentioned it to the parents and suggested some lotions to try as my kids get dry too, only to be shrugged off and the kids keep coming here with the terrible dry skin and dry lips too....it's stuff like this that drives me crazy because it really is so so so basic, yet some parents continue to be totally clueless even when these things are pointed out to them. I never seem to be taken seriously....but I'm just the babysitter after all!

Expansive...
    Oh and another favorite. This one is a new one but I have clients who were sending their daughter over here with tiny mittens (she wears size 5, the mittens were meant for babies). They kept wondering why she always threw a fit when it was time to put them on. I kept saying it was because they were too small (you could feel her hand inside, it was crushed and she couldn't move it properly). They thought their daughter was giving them attitude....I believed they were just too small and kept asking for bigger ones. They FINALLY sent in a pair that fits...and the tantrums magically disappeared!

Starting to feel at home...
    Guilty. I was trying to grow my girls hair out and she would never keep the elastics and clips in. Result was hair covering her eyes. My lovely daycare provider keep telling me in a nice way about the elastics and clips and such...I finally accepted reality and gave her bangs.
    As for clothing, if something doesn't fit, I get it back along with the reason and am asked not to send it again. End of story.
    I feel bad for you guys though. Maybe you should have a clause in your contract granting haircut and clothing allowances (to be refunded annually) if not used. LOL