Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Parents!! Vent

Parents!! Vent

Parent bashing is not my thing...usually. I am one and I have had my kids in daycare so know what its like from the other side. I'm also human and contribute my fair share of empty headed moments to the universe. I really just need to off load as my lot have driven me nuts all week and this morning was the icing on the cake and I want to just offload and move on.

I have a mother who calls her kid names. I get it is supposed to be fun and affectionate in her eyes, and this doesn't really annoy like everything else. Kind of always leaves me speechless as she tickles her daughter under the chin and with a grin on her face calls her a weirdo lol It's almost daily that she calls her a name and honestly it's beyond ridiculous. The little girl is only 17 months but is starting to get very verbal mirroring a lot so great news is that weirdo may be word of the week with the kids in the coming weeks haha that should be interesting.

I have another parent who has started kindermusic on Wednesdays and asked if I could feed him an extra snack just before pick up as he wouldn't be having dinner till late and she would be cutting it fine getting to class. Well that's fine as he feeds himself and she provided the food...an apple and a yogurt. The yogurt was 3 weeks past the best by date. I gave him an alternative and told mum at pick up. She said they use those dates as a guide, which I totally get. I explained though that it was dairy and it wasn't just a little past the date but 3 weeks. She laughed and said no big deal, and I immediately said it's not okay when it's not my child. She said fair enough. I might add that this is the child who is assumed to have a dairy intolerance so he has soy cheese and lactose free milk and yogurts. There has definitely been a massive improvement but he does still have the occasional, say every week or so, massive loose bm and now perhaps I know why, if she has such a lax attitude towards best by dates. We are not talking about a few days, we are talking about 21! Head shake....

Then there are my AP parents...there son is 2 next week, she still breast feeds him a couple times a night to sooth him which she is completely honest about and co sleeps most of the time even though he is a good sleeper but they jump to sooth him at every little noise. They have many a BS excuse for doing this but I try not to get into conversations about it and leave them to parent as they wish. It's ironic then how they can't seem to get the basics sorted, like dad dressing his child in clean clothes that fit, on the right way round or fastening him up properly. They are just all over the place. Mom has made comments the last couple of weeks about how great her son is while making comments on other kids in front of their parents. Like when the 17 month old girl's dad picked up at the same time as she did and I commented on the day very briefly as there really wasn't anything to report but I did comment on how chatty she was getting. This mom immediately says to me, "she is just babbling though right? no real words?" I don't quite know how I should have handled this situation and felt awful for the girls dad but I just said she for sure babbles but she has a lot of words and you can definitely understand what she is saying. She made a similar comment about another little boy who is 2 weeks younger than her son who isn't a performing act so will not talk on demand in front of an audience of strangers. When he is at home he chats up a storm mom says and when he is here it's the same thing. This mom says wow "Bobby" doesn't have many words does he. Icing on the cake, her moronic husband on Monday comes in with the other little guys dad at drop off and tells him/us about something he read. Okay this guy has a masters in neuroscience so knows things, but lacks communication skills in my mind. He said, I read a study that boys with higher levels of testosterone speak earlier so that means your son is a little gayer than mine. I know he was joking and I actually said to him in a condescending tone "Seriously Dad!" and the other dad laughed but it was awkward and I really wanted to just tell this dad to get the hell out of my house.
    The same families mom came in yesterday at pick up and I made the mistake of telling her how well her son could say the alphabet to which I just opened up the way for her to say how advanced her son was and she really was looking for loads of reinforcement that her kid is a mastermind. To top things off this morning, thank god it's Thursday (my Friday), Both the two year olds are dropped off today and these parents are chatting and come in continuing their conversation without so much as a hello or eye contact. I said hello twice but no they continued to chat. The moron dad didn't even undress his kid but chatted while I did it and then when I said to the kids say goodbye to daddy and they went off to the playroom, the dads stood there chatting. I opened the door and said to them, have a good day to which I got a you too as they left.

My 3 year old dcb is an ongoing problem as his dad is causing major problems in the families separation and using the kids as a tool to get at their mom resulting in a very disruptive 3 year old in daycare. Continuing talks with mum doesn't seem to be doing any good as she gives him so much attention for these sulks, and tantrums and when he is bad the guilt prevents her from disciplining him.

When did I pull the short straw or is it that it's just come to a head this week, who knows but oh my goodness what a bunch they are, some far worse than others.

Outgoing
    Hmmm....Hey Bright Sparks.....I honestly did NOT think anyone had more patience than me! Boy was I wrong....YOU SOOOOO DESERVE A STANDING OVATION! I have a couple of parents that I don't have the time of day for....and if it wasn't for the fact that I enjoy looking after their child....I'd be looking for a reason to throw them out.....and wouldn't look far.....It really honestly does sadden me what we daycare providers have to put up with from parents to make a living....(and believe me....I have had a parent that took advantage of that before...I said "good by" and took the loss".....Smile Bright Sparks....."IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY"

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sandylynn For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    When one annoys us, it seems like they all do sometimes!! At least it's your Friday?? Lol. That gay comment is awful though....how awkward for you and the other dad!

I have to admit....I call them silly, crazy and weird myself. Than they say no, you are! And it becomes a game as we all laugh and giggle and usually a tickle fest begins lol. I didn't really think anything negative aBout it until now. (I think we should embrace our crazy and weird sides! Lol) All the parents are the same so it never crossed my mind to be honest.

I'm also one of those who use the dates as a guideline after reading some articles. I do the sniff test on some things. 21 days is a lot though so I'd open it and sniff first lol.

I'd be a parent that annoys you bright LOL

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    When one annoys us, it seems like they all do sometimes!! At least it's your Friday?? Lol. That gay comment is awful though....how awkward for you and the other dad!

I have to admit....I call them silly, crazy and weird myself. Than they say no, you are! And it becomes a game as we all laugh and giggle and usually a tickle fest begins lol. I didn't really think anything negative aBout it until now. (I think we should embrace our crazy and weird sides! Lol) All the parents are the same so it never crossed my mind to be honest.

I'm also one of those who use the dates as a guideline after reading some articles. I do the sniff test on some things. 21 days is a lot though so I'd open it and sniff first lol.

I'd be a parent that annoys you bright LOL
    I'm not so easily annoyed usually, I think it's just because there is so much going on at once. I call my kids affectionate little names, but this is a baby and it isn't in addition to any positive name calling. My 13 year old nearly fell over the first time she heard this mother call the baby a weirdo, and that is when it really made me sit up and think, wow! We may take it as trivial and insignificant but a childs perception is something we don't quite understand. I too encourage embracing our inner weirdo.....I'm very proud of mine and on my mixed media wall at home I have a cross stich piece that says "stay weird" so I'm not "one of those" people. I'm also coming from a country where calling your child silly is common place versus in Canada where it is seen as negative and degrading. It's just a bit of an eye opener when you see a mother call her barely toddler a weirdo repeatedly. I know she doesn't mean any harm by it but it did make me shake my head.

I'm definitely not anal about best before dates, but this isn't my child so I'm pretty sure Health and Safety would have a major issue with a childcare professional feeding any child they had in their care food that was out of date, especially as significant as 21 days. Also, this child already has digestive issues...fermented is one thing but this was a little much lol

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    A man I know (not a dcparent), called his 4 year old a little bugger in front of me and my mouth literally dropped open!! It's just not a word I'd use (which is funny because that is totally how my dad is and he probably called us that and more..it's just his sense of humour) he wasn't being mean or anything, it was just his way of being funny I guess? Either way, it shocked me so I know how you must have felt!

I probably should be more anal about dates....I never look except for dairy products! My friend on the other hand even checks pasta dates....we are so different we sometimes drive each other crazy lol

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    A man I know (not a dcparent), called his 4 year old a little bugger in front of me and my mouth literally dropped open!! It's just not a word I'd use (which is funny because that is totally how my dad is and he probably called us that and more..it's just his sense of humour) he wasn't being mean or anything, it was just his way of being funny I guess? Either way, it shocked me so I know how you must have felt!

I probably should be more anal about dates....I never look except for dairy products! My friend on the other hand even checks pasta dates....we are so different we sometimes drive each other crazy lol
    Haha...I buy my grains in bulk so there are no dates. I just make sure it isn't moving OMG lol chicken and fish is my anal thing...I think because you can get so ill that's why

Expansive...
    I am so anal about dates...I don't think I've ever served something that was past the date and even if it's just like 2-3 days it makes me uncomfortable!

Your lot sounds wonderful bright...(insert sarcasm). I can't believe some make comments on other kids development right in front of the other parents?! Sheesh!

I've been having some issues myself with some clients but they pale in comparison lol. I have a family who has been with me for 2 years and they are getting on my nerves lately. It's been an accumulation of little things in the last few months and it feels as though it's coming to a head. Sending her to daycare even though she threw up the night before (she ended up having hand foot mouth and EVERYONE got it-my policy is they need to be healthy for a full 24 hours before coming), pressure to potty train, pressure to get her to drop her nap. It's been frustrating, it's like they think they deserve special treatment because they have seniority? I don't know but I've just about had it with them. I have another child who started biting and another who is so unbelievably coddled at home it makes things difficult for me...ugh!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    Haha...I buy my grains in bulk so there are no dates. I just make sure it isn't moving OMG lol chicken and fish is my anal thing...I think because you can get so ill that's why
    I freeze all my meat so it's usually okay. I love my food saver! Umm yes, moving pasta would be a red flag lol, ewww!!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Fun&care View Post
    I am so anal about dates...I don't think I've ever served something that was past the date and even if it's just like 2-3 days it makes me uncomfortable!

Your lot sounds wonderful bright...(insert sarcasm). I can't believe some make comments on other kids development right in front of the other parents?! Sheesh!

I've been having some issues myself with some clients but they pale in comparison lol. I have a family who has been with me for 2 years and they are getting on my nerves lately. It's been an accumulation of little things in the last few months and it feels as though it's coming to a head. Sending her to daycare even though she threw up the night before (she ended up having hand foot mouth and EVERYONE got it-my policy is they need to be healthy for a full 24 hours before coming), pressure to potty train, pressure to get her to drop her nap. It's been frustrating, it's like they think they deserve special treatment because they have seniority? I don't know but I've just about had it with them. I have another child who started biting and another who is so unbelievably coddled at home it makes things difficult for me...ugh!
    Oh that is frustrating!!! HFM disease does not sound fun!!

Starting to feel at home...
    I have a dcm that calls her son weirdo and nerd and tells me I can keep him. I know she's kidding, but the other day, my 5 yo son asked 'Mom, what's a nerd?' Oh boy!