Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Honey

Outgoing

Honey

I mixed a little honey with fruit for afternoon snack today which I wrote down on the 15 month dcb's take home record sheet. Mom was concerned and asked me not to give honey to him until he's two. I thought the basic rule was to not give under 12 months, however, I will not give her son honey till then if she wishes. I know this pertains to baked goods as well but I truly thought it was under 12 months. I don't often mix anything with fruit but just threw a tsp or two in the fruit salad today. Do u guys use honey? Tx

Euphoric !
    I don't generally give under 2 as well. A quick google search should answer it but I think it switched from 1 years. Most of my parents give all the restricted foods by the time they're 18 months so I don't worry about it too much after that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    The official guideline is to not serve honey to children under 1 year old.

http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/eating...ulisme-eng.php

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    only honey should not be given until 12 months ......i believe that is the only restricted food nowadays......they are even suggesting giving peanut butter sooner rather then later

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Oh interesting!! That is something I'll look into, thanks!

I restrict peanut butter, nuts, honey, shrimp and eggs so it would be great if it's now changed! Something an old dc centre I worked in restricted but I never really do is strawberries but it's always in the back of my mind when I give to the little ones

Euphoric !
    I believe honey is to be avoided until 2yrs. It's the only food restriction we paid any attention to, we did eggs, shrimp, nuts and everything else at about 7 months. Everything else is for risk of an allergy honey is risk of botulism because it is not pasteurized and little ones are more prone to it.

That said, I just google it now and Health Canada says 12months as did everything else that popped up. I could have sworn my child's doctor said age 2. Anyways, likely their parents had the same thinking as me.

Maybe touch base with them and say you will continue to avoid it at their discretion but that you did some research and it is generally believed to be safe after 12months. Just to show you took time to look into it, you acknowledge their concerns but you did your research and are indeed safe to continue serving it in the daycare.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    Oh interesting!! That is something I'll look into, thanks!

I restrict peanut butter, nuts, honey, shrimp and eggs so it would be great if it's now changed! Something an old dc centre I worked in restricted but I never really do is strawberries but it's always in the back of my mind when I give to the little ones
    With my being licensed all meal plans would have to be approved by my coordinator. The only thing I would told that had to be restricted until 2 years old was peanut butter - though I don't follow that belief myself. I am on the give it early bandwagon. But I have to say that I find it frustrating how much conflicting advice and recommendations there is out there about everything.

My daughters are less than 3 years apart in age and some professional medical advice I was given from one baby to the next had totally changed.

Euphoric !
    Amanda, I'm on the same bandwagon personally. When it comes to business though, I just restrict the foods that are well known. Like I mentioned earlier, most of the kids I've had were introduced to all of them by 18 months so obviously I'm not too strict on it, especially once I know they've had it. Monday for example, I had an 18 month old and one of the 3 yo's and we had shrimp as part of our lunch so I just quickly texted both moms asking if they've had it before....both had many times so I felt it was safe enough to give to them.

I agree....the info is always changing!!! How do you know which info is best to follow? Keeping up to date on all of it can be hard!

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaKDT View Post
    My daughters are less than 3 years apart in age and some professional medical advice I was given from one baby to the next had totally changed.
    And this is why I get frustrated by this blinding misinformation that nutrition is somehow connected to a profession which has absolutly no training in nutrition. The last person I would be speaking to about nutrition for children or adults is a medical dr. Likely the reason for the inconsistency in information is because the people being asked do not have the training or qualifications to actually know. Ask a dozen qualified nutritionists and you would likely get consistent answers, ask a dr about medical questions not nutrition questions. MD's are medical doctors specializing in medicine, Nutritionists are licensed professionals specializing in nutrition. Shame this country rams the food guide down our throats making the nation sicker via dietitians legally obliged to stick to he one model proven to not work and they are the ones dropping the pamphlet at the dry office telling the dr what to say. Damm the MD letters leading people to have this false sense of security that they aparantly know everything and bravo to those fighting for real facts.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    And this is why I get frustrated by this blinding misinformation that nutrition is somehow connected to a profession which has absolutly no training in nutrition. The last person I would be speaking to about nutrition for children or adults is a medical dr. Likely the reason for the inconsistency in information is because the people being asked do not have the training or qualifications to actually know. Ask a dozen qualified nutritionists and you would likely get consistent answers, ask a dr about medical questions not nutrition questions. MD's are medical doctors specializing in medicine, Nutritionists are licensed professionals specializing in nutrition. Shame this country rams the food guide down our throats making the nation sicker via dietitians legally obliged to stick to he one model proven to not work and they are the ones dropping the pamphlet at the dry office telling the dr what to say. Damm the MD letters leading people to have this false sense of security that they aparantly know everything and bravo to those fighting for real facts.
    Yes, I usually just smile and nod when I get any nutritional advice from a doctor. I do my own research and have had way more success than if I followed a doctor's advice. Doctors have alot of knowledge, but they are people just like you and me and can't possibly know everything.