Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Outgoing
    I would be making the mom provide all the extra food. And getting a doctors note stating he NEEDS to eat between scheduled snacks and meals.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to superfun For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    just curious, if he is 5 years old, why is he not in school?

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by MsBell View Post
    just curious, if he is 5 years old, why is he not in school?
    Province requriements likely.

Here the kids go the year they are 5 so come September 2015 all the children born from Jan to then will be 5 and all the kids born after September will be 4 for a few weeks.

It used to be the kids had to be 5 by 1st October so my son, whose birthday is 21st October, turned 6 just 7 weeks after starting primary. Really annoying because he;d been in mainstream school in England for a year. We came in the July, and I figured he'd be starting back in Grade Primary come the September when he was 4 almost 5 but they turned us away for a full year because his birthday was 20 days too late for inclusion.
    Last edited by Rachael; 01-22-2015 at 08:48 PM.

Euphoric !
    That seems like a lot of food!! 8 slices of bread in one day is too much even for an adult IMO.

I agree with the other ladies...it's time to either raise her fee or ask her to supply any food outside of the 2 snacks and lunch you provide (or whatever your food arrangement is)

Is this child truly hungry or just eating because he knows he can whenever he wants?

Thanks everyone for all your great idea's I am going to have a serious talk with her then about paying the current rate or otherwise providing all his extra snacks. I did some more research and deiced at Snack times I will provided more protein's, I agree if I provide something like peas and he refuses then he is not that hungry, I have also decide that, it is not fair for him to come and eat at different intervals then the other children as, like some of you mentioned it starts a war and everyone wants to eat and food gets wasted because they are not hungry.

He comes from a split family and his dad, picked him up today so I mentioned it to him and he said his mom is a hypochondriac and he does not need to eat that much and feels that he would prefer if I didn't feed him this way. I felt he was way over eating as well, and at the same time i felt guilty that if he is truly that hungry that I don't feed him.

Outgoing
    at the same time i felt guilty that if he is truly that hungry that I don't feed him.
    Logic tells you that he's getting more than enough to eat, especially when you remember that he's likely eating more than you are, as a grown adult. Plus, if it helps you feel less guilty (and you have no reason to feel that way), consider that we provide lunch and two snacks. We are not here to provide the main meal of his day.

I hate to sound cynical, but with what you said and Dad's comments, I suspect this little boy is just having a small snack when he gets home before bed because he's full from gorging all day. That's quite the grocery saving for Mom when you consider her day care fees savings too. She's on to a winning formula all around.

Something I do with my own kids is that I keep a container of cut up veggies in the fridge and if they are hungry at non meal/snack times, they can have some of those. If figure if they are truly hungry, they will eat the veggies. They love veggies.

You could do the same and serve it with some hummus (protein!) to dip them in.

Or maybe keep some hard boiled eggs in the fridge?

I did not realize that kindergarten was not everywhere! I learn something everyday

I would do both, tell her that the rate is too low and give her fair notice that the rate will be going up. If she does not want to pay a fair rate, let her go elsewhere. I would also say that , two snacks and lunch (and if you include breakfast) is what you will provide, anything above that, she will need to provide. However that said, if it were me, I would simply give her notice. I think that having a kid eat all day long is way too much extra work, there would be struggles with trying to make the other kids understand, next thing you know you will have the whole group eating extra snacks, that would be constant cleaning, dishes, hands and faces, the floor etc. Just sounds like a nightmare to me

Although I do agree with only offering healthy protien rich snacks, good luck , I have tried hummus, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, beans, veg stix etc here, and the dck I have just turn their noses up. I offer a healthy balanced menu here, most parents want that, however I learn that most of the kids I have had, eat a lot of crap at home (lunchables, processed foods and Happy Meals) more then anything, I waste a lot of food here, but I dont care, I provide it, if they dont eat it, too bad, they can eat crap at their home, not mine.
    Last edited by MsBell; 01-23-2015 at 10:42 AM.

Euphoric !
    I have it written in my contract under the food section that I provide one meal and two snacks. I also have it that should a child require food due to a medical condition that it is provided by the parent. This is meant for things like lactaid or soy milk etc but I would enforce that policy in this case in the sense that mom is free to send in the extra food required and then I would set up the day so that every hour child sits at the table and eats what you put in front of him so he maintains balance between the food groups and it isn't a just whenever he gets bored or there is a lull in the day or he doesn't want to do what the group is doing he will just eat.

Euphoric !
    Honestly I think this is ridiculous. What is going to happen when the child goes to school. I likely doubt the school will allow this either.