Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reading style

Euphoric !

Reading style

Out of curiosity how do you read with children? Do you plow through the page/book without stopping, do you stop and acknowledge everything a child has said, do you stop and ask questions?

I find that I prefer to read uninterrupted. I feel like the flow, rhythm and meaning of the story is so easily lost when I stop to respond to every interruption.

It seems like if I sop to say "yes, that's a cat" when they stand there pointing saying "cat,cat,cat,cat " that they don't actually learn to sit and LISTEN to the story (in which I'd be saying cat, to acknowledge it is indeed a cat).

Obviously it does depend on the book itself, the child(ren) and the purpose of the story reading. Sometime the whole point is to sit and have the children label what they see.

But, when it comes to a good story I much prefer to read it, with the flow and rhythm it was meant to be read with!

Expansive...
    I have found it is mission impossible to try and get through a story with kids 2ish and under. So much so that I just get them to bed first and read with the older kids. They just either interrupt constantly or get up and take toys out even though we just cleaned up. So if I do story time with the little ones it isn't an actual story it is more pointing and labeling what we see which is fine but I choose to do it at a separate time so that the ones who do enjoy a good story can sit and listen without a thousand distractions.

I read the book once, then go back and read it a second time with q and a. My kids have all grown up with this so its nothing new.
    We also go to story time at the library, and there stories are re\d, and they are expected to listen to the story and not intrupt. I have taught them that it is unfar to get up and be a pest, and have others time ruined.
    I have always taught the kids from the wee ages the skills that they will need for school.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 33 Daiseys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by 33 Daiseys View Post
    I read the book once, then go back and read it a second time with q and a. My kids have all grown up with this so its nothing new.
    We also go to story time at the library, and there stories are re\d, and they are expected to listen to the story and not intrupt. I have taught them that it is unfar to get up and be a pest, and have others time ruined.
    I have always taught the kids from the wee ages the skills that they will need for school.
    I LOVE the idea of reading it a second time for q&a!

Our daughter is 22months and for well over a year now she gets 2 books before bed. Rarely do we read a board book before bed we read story books meant for older children. There have ben periods where she struggles to focus for that long but we've taught her that she needs to stay on the bed while we read. Some days we allow her to hold and look at the second book while we read the other one but we aim to have her listening.
    When reading with both girls (24 & 26months). I do let them wander off but when they are near me I stop reading to make them sit, rather than letting them stand in front of the book blocking it.

Curious to hear from others. I ask because I've noticed my 26month old dcg doesn't listen to anything I'm reading as she's too busy talking over me. She also takes great offence to my asking her to stop and listen. Perhaps they don't 'read' at home but rather use the books to talk instead.

Expansive...
    I have the kids sit "criss cross apple sauce" (on the floor with legs crossed and hands in lap) all on our circle time carpet while I sit on a stool. The older kids (24 months, 2.5, 2.75 and 5 years old) all sit nicely most of the time. The 24 month old sometimes gets restless and the 12 month old just wanders around and sometimes stops and listens. If they stand in front of me I help them sit down so everyone can see. If one of the little ones loses interest in the story, they are welcome to go off and play. By 4 years old and up I expect them to sit quietly the whole time and put up their hand if they have a question as preparation for going to kindergarten.

I try not to have interruptions while I read and will shush them if one of them interrupts me too much. Usually on our first read of a new story I will ask questions, like prediction questions - 'What do you think will happen next?' kind of thing. After that I will just read the story straight through. If it has a repetitive line I will have them say it with me. I try to have participation in a positive and controlled manner, I won't read a story if I am being constantly interrupted.

my crew loves story time and they will sit through long stories really well.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I read a lot to them throughout the day individually. I read it how they want too during this time...the older kids usually let me read the book start to end but the younger ones will want to point out things and we discuss it. If they don't want to finish the book, off they go and it's fine.

During storytime though (circle time) they all sit down and listen nicely, even the 18 and 20 month old. Depending on the book and what our theme is, we will sometimes discuss things or I will just read it start to end. They are not allowed to interrupt me though, we discuss things when I'm done the page. For the most part, they all sit and listen but I've always had kids who loved books and reading!! When I had really young ones (12-18 months), they would be allowed to wander off if they wanted but I usually could grab their attention again by incorporating their name into the book or they would sit on my lap and "help" me read the book.

I like the idea of reading once and than reading again with q and a's!!

Starting to feel at home...
    I spend many a pre-bedtime read with my kiddo answering 'what dat?' 'and dat?'. I find it great that she is curious even though we are reading the book for the millionth time. That said, if I had three kids doing it, I would go nuts. Thanks for all the great advice. In a few months I will have two little ones and now I am armed with story time strategies

Euphoric !
    2 little ones??? Does this mean you're pregnant....congrats !!!

Starting to feel at home...
    Why yes 5LM, I am!!! Last one, I am too old for a third round. LOL!!! I love this site. I feel like I have a better understanding of my daycare provider and I am always learning a new parenting skill or two. BTW: I always appreciate your comments. There is always a dash of true kindness in them.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SillyGirl_C For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    You're so sweet sillygirl! Funny you should say that because I always enjoy your posts as well

From reading your comments, you remind me of 2 of my very first dcmoms. To this day, they remain my 2 favourite moms to have dealt with! I love that you appreciate your provider so much, she is lucky to have a mom like you!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post: