Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

How do you charge for long days/shift work

I have a little girl in my dayhome who's mom works shifts and her dad works long days. I have her anywhere from 0-4 days per week and she starts at 6:15am. Some days mom picks her up at 3 and some days dad picks her up at 6 (depending on moms work schedule). Even though she's p/t, I can't take on another p/t child as her days change week to week. Looking back, I should have charged my f/t rate - especially because almost no dayhome in my area is open 12 hours and the little one is under 2 so she takes up a highly coveted baby spot. Instead I charge them $45/day for the days they use. (my regular rate for p/t is $40/day). The little one is a total sweetheart and the parents are fantastic as well, but I can't help but think I've totally shortchanged myself. What would you charge this family and is there anything I can do about rates now without looking like a moron?

apples and bananas
    I have a min 3 days per week for part time. They don't have to bring them 3 days but they have to pay me for 3 days. I couldn't budget otherwise. Cause let's be honest, I don't change diapers, sing baby songs, walk around with food all over me and have play pens scattered all over my house because it's fun. LOL I do it to make money.

Euphoric !
    That sounds exactly like the family I had 1-4 days a week ... Rotating shifts .... 6:30-6...... It sucked ..... But when I took them on I was new and stupid .... I didn't realize what it really meant. How I arranged it was they paid my part time rate as well as all stats regardless of weather it was a regularly scheduled day and they Paid for my holidays in full. They were here a year and are gone now..... Great family, we still keep in touch but I would never touch that again. It amazing what you will agree to when first starting up, I have since shortened my hoursand I'm loving it.

Euphoric !
    I have a family who use 5 or 6 hours a day and other families who use just under my maximum of 9 hours per day and they all pay the same rate. A space is a space. I charge $5/half hour if a family wants to arrive before my opening time of 7:30am or stay after my closing time of 5pm. I also charge $5/half hour over the maximum 9 hour day. So that's a lot of fees for anybody that exceeds 9 hours and guess what? None of my daycare families do it! You have to learn to take care of yourself. Don't burn out because you work too many hours and don't have enough time for yourself or your own family.