Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

Issuing Tax Receipts

I am new to this and my accountant said it was okay to issue one receipt for the full year. Now my question is I have two siblings I watch since Sept 2014 and Mom and Dad are separated. Payment from Sept, Oct and Nov have all come from moms bank account. Dad paid his own half in December from his girlfriends bank account and is now asking for his receipts.

How should I issue the receipts if I only received payment from Moms account for the first three months?

Outgoing
    When a couple is together, only one parents can claim the tax credit. I believe it's the parent with the lower income. However, when they are separate, I guess it comes down to their personal agreement - this isn't something I've considered before.

I guess what you will have to do is separate receipts to the parent who paid.

What you can do is the "start date" will be the same for both parent and the "end date" will be 31-Dec-2014 if you provided care until year end (or beyond). Then simply make out a receipt for the Mom for the total monies she paid, and a separate receipt for Dad for the total monies he paid.

I give annual receipts so mine look something like...the details I write are shown as <text>.

Date : <date receipt issued/written>
    To : <mother and father's name>
    For : <Day Care fees for child(ren)'s name>
    From : <01-01-2014 OR start date> To: <31-12-2014 OR date the left>
    Amount : <total amount of fees paid during the calendar year>

* In home day care providers are required to give their SIN. This is clearly documented throughout the CRA website and documentation in their guides for day care providers and also for parents claiming day care fees. If you don't want to give your SIN, you may register your business (about $80 a year I think) and provide your registration/business number instead.

Lots of providers don't give their SIN but they are obligated to and now that all tax returns are electronic/via the web, our SIN numbers have to be entered into the software or that part of the tax credit is not calculated for the parent due to incomplete information. i.e. the parent will not have the data about fees included in their tax return and so will over pay.

Euphoric !
    I would keep track of who paid what and at the end of the year give them each their own receipt for the money they paid.

IME, it's up to the parents to decide who pays the dc between themselves. I know a handful of mom's who pay the whole dc fee but dad pays the mom whatever their agreement is, in private or as part of his child support.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Just to answer your second question. Siblings need to be separated as well. I learned this last year. You need a receipt with the total for Johnny and for Suzy.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by torontokids View Post
    Just to answer your second question. Siblings need to be separated as well. I learned this last year. You need a receipt with the total for Johnny and for Suzy.
    Why? I know that it's acceptable to spread costs between children. Parents can claim up to $7k for a preschool child's fees (going up to $8k for 2015) and I think it's $4k for a school age kid.

But if they paid out $10k in preschool fees and nothing for the school age child, they can allocated the extra $3k to the child with no claim.

So I wonder why they would require separate receipts for separate children. It's literally number of preschoolers x preschool amount + number of school age children x school age amount and any receipts proving expense for any/all/some children can be split however the parents want to achieve the max allowance.

Euphoric !
    I used to do them on one receipt for the reasons you mentioned Rachel but I was told last year they need to be issued separately. I just do it separately now and they can have their accountant figure out any income splitting or whatever.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Shy
    CRA requires separate receipts for each child, including siblings. Here's the info directly from the CRA website that you require on your receipts. The link if anyone wants it is http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tp...rcpts-eng.html

"As someone who runs a home daycare, you will be expected to issue receipts to the parents of the children in your care. You should do this as soon as possible to give them time to file their income tax and benefit returns.

Receipts you issue have to include all of the following information:

the name of the person for whom you are preparing the receipt;
    the name of the child of the person for whom you are preparing the receipt;
    the amount received for your services;
    the period you provided these services (from and to dates);
    your name;
    your address;
    your social insurance number;
    your signature; and
    the date you signed the receipt.

Note: If a person has more than one child in your care, you have to issue a separate receipt for each child."

As Rachael mentioned above, you don't have to include your SIN if you include a Business Number. I did this in September, its only $60 to register for 5 years, well worth it in my opinion! Plus it gives you the ability to legally use a name for your daycare.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cate For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    For sibling I give a 1 receipt to the parents with the grand total. I then have a section that I have it broken down for each individual child.

As for separated parents. If mom paid she gets a receipt for her payments. If dad paid he gets a receipt for his payments. They can fight over who pays, who claims it etc.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by torontokids View Post
    I used to do them on one receipt for the reasons you mentioned Rachel but I was told last year they need to be issued separately. I just do it separately now and they can have their accountant figure out any income splitting or whatever.
    That's good to know. I've lumped siblings on one receipt in the past. I don't have any now so it won't affect me for next year so I'll have to remember to do this if it comes up in future.

I'd love to know the reasoning behind it. Oh - Income splitting. I wonder if it's to do with that. Until now, I know the lowest income earner had to claim day care fees but if they are income splitting, it might be that one can claim one child and the other parent different kids.

I don't have a spouse so I've not looked into the income splitting at all.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by cate View Post

Note: If a person has more than one child in your care, you have to issue a separate receipt for each child."

Hmm, I've always taken that as meaning more than one child is more than one client paying and so each client would require a separate receipt. But I'd never taken it as meaning one per child but as one per client, if that makes sense.